Signal Meter Sensitivity??

Status
Please reply by conversation.

esteveW

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Dec 10, 2008
Western WA
I have one of the inexpensive Satellite Finders to monitor the signal as I adjust my dish.

Originally I put it in the C band coax near the receiver since I did my trial adjustments while observing the TV and listing to the signal level from the meter tone.

Following the meter re-adjustment procedure (keep the reading around 5 or less) I got the direction refined but found that the stronger the signal the more difficult it was to "recenter" the meter. It was difficult but "do-able". I found the adjustment on the back was already, factory set all the way to left (less sensitivity). But I put up with it.

Now I'm trying to use it at the base of the BUD post and the signal is much stronger there. So strong that I found it impossible to recenter the meter. What I finally did (and this is non-scientific) I put a 100ft length of coax between the meter and the LNB. At least that put the sensitivity back to what I had in the house. Is there something better I could correct this problem and make the meter more useful..

Steve

I've had two or three of those cheap meters, they all had a silver sticker on the back, if you peel off the sticker, you will see a round hole in the plastic housing that will give you access to a potentiometer adjustment screw. If your meter has that screw, play with it, on mine it changes the sensitivity. Other than that, adding extra coax like you have done is a good way to attenuate the signal. I've given up on meters I just use a satellite receiver with a small tv at the dish.:)

Been there, Done that! Not that I don't appreciate the suggestion.

The Pot is all the way to the left (CCW) and that is the direction I need to go to reduce the sensitivity.

Thanks for confirming that I am doing something right.

Steve

Steve,

You could use an attenuator pad such as this Pico Macom:

yhst-18278607509093_2047_2788020

Features

• Reduces RF signal strength to reduce intermodulation caused by high input levels
  • Frequency Range 5~2000 MHz
  • Precision SMD Monolithic Ceramic Printed Circuit Board
  • Etched Glazed Type Resistors
  • Return Loss 20 dB typical
  • Attenuation Values 1, 3, 6, 8, 10, 12, 16, 20 dB
  • Flatness 0.5 dB
  • 1% Tolerance components
  • 22-Gauge Spring Steel Center
  • Nickel Plated Precision Machined Brass
There are also Variable Attenuator where you can adjust how much you want to reduce the signal

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts