Signal Strength

I have a lot of 100's and high 90's in Alaska on my 1.2 meter dish. I tweek my own dish I get a better job done.
Say, do you know if DIRECTV ever released the six outlet Reverse Band capable SL-3 LNB for the 1.2m AK/HI dish in that market?

Which WNC at least lables it as "SL3RBAH (AU4)" in their LNBF products catalog ....

Sent from my LM-V405 using Tapatalk

Say, do you know if DIRECTV ever released the six outlet Reverse Band capable SL-3 LNB for the 1.2m AK/HI dish in that market?

Which WNC at least lables it as "SL3RBAH (AU4)" in their LNBF products catalog ....

I don't think so, the LNB used for AK/HI is especially designed for the 1.2M dish. I am not sure if the SL-3 would work well. But I have no experience with it. The dish/LNB combo for Alaska works amazingly well, no precipitation fade ever. It is cloudy, foggy and snowing right now with these readings...

Attachments

• 20200221_110744.jpg
    20200221_110744.jpg
    136.2 KB · Views: 244
  • 20200221_111200.jpg
    20200221_111200.jpg
    132.4 KB · Views: 233
  • 20200221_111147.jpg
    20200221_111147.jpg
    144.5 KB · Views: 236
  • 20200221_111129.jpg
    20200221_111129.jpg
    126.7 KB · Views: 229
  • 20200221_111100.jpg
    20200221_111100.jpg
    144.8 KB · Views: 246
  • 20200221_111043.jpg
    20200221_111043.jpg
    145.1 KB · Views: 245
  • 20200221_111023.jpg
    20200221_111023.jpg
    142.3 KB · Views: 247
Last edited:
There is one more issue that was not mentioned in any of the responses.

All DBS Dish's are offset by about 28 degrees, this means the signal is coming from the Satellite 28 degrees MORE, than the apparent angle of the Dish Reflector relative to the ground.

I've seen alot of installations where the Relative angle of the Reflector to the ground is pointing at the building or tree and the signal strength is fine as the signal is coming from an angle higher than the apparent angle of the Dish's Reflector.

I'd use a Protractor and use that to sight the satellite from your location just to make sure you are NOT pointed at an obstruction.

John

I don't think so, the LNB used for AK/HI is especially designed for the 1.2M dish. I am not sure if the SL-3 would work well. But I have no experience with it ...

No, there's actually a Reverse Band 99/101/103 SL-3 type LNBF made specifically for the 1.2m AK/HI dish that I was asking about.

See the "SL3RBAH (AU4)" under the "North American Market" in the attachment from WNC.

Looks just like the former one you have but has six outlets instead of four.View attachment DBS_Catalogue.pdf

No, there's actually a Reverse Band 99/101/103 SL-3 type LNBF made specifically for the 1.2m AK/HI dish that I was asking about.

See the "SL3RBAH (AU4)" under the "North American Market" in the attachment from WNC.

Looks just like the former one you have but has six outlets instead of four.View attachment 143616

That catalog states the SL3RBAH is for CONUS reception. My LNB is not shown in the catalog.
31wA+2ifU2L.jpg

Looking further, I did find references to the SL3RBAH for the 1.2 meter dish for AK/HI, sorry I don't know anything more about it.

Did they ever make a SWM LNB for the AK/HI dish or were they all legacy? I imagine the volume is so low (especially now that Hawaii should no longer need the big dish) it may not be worth manufacturing a separate single wire LNB for Alaska.

Did they ever make a SWM LNB for the AK/HI dish or were they all legacy? I imagine the volume is so low (especially now that Hawaii should no longer need the big dish) it may not be worth manufacturing a separate single wire LNB for Alaska.
When it comes to DirecTV, I don't know much about the equipment I am just a subscriber. Others can likely answer that one.

There is one more issue that was not mentioned in any of the responses.

All DBS Dish's are offset by about 28 degrees, this means the signal is coming from the Satellite 28 degrees MORE, than the apparent angle of the Dish Reflector relative to the ground.

I've seen alot of installations where the Relative angle of the Reflector to the ground is pointing at the building or tree and the signal strength is fine as the signal is coming from an angle higher than the apparent angle of the Dish's Reflector.

I'd use a Protractor and use that to sight the satellite from your location just to make sure you are NOT pointed at an obstruction.

John

Did anyone ever make a prime focus dish for DirecTV?

Did anyone ever make a prime focus dish for DirecTV?
I doubt it ...

Or that it would work well if at all if they tried by coverting a C-band BUD or something.

Since they'd really have to build a new LNBF for it as well. As the ones manufactured for DIRECTV have a fixed separation between the feedhorns (i.e., a "monoblock" arrangement) and can only be placed a certain distance from the reflector.

At much too small a distance that a prime focus dish would use.

I don't think so, the LNB used for AK/HI is especially designed for the 1.2M dish. I am not sure if the SL-3 would work well. But I have no experience with it. The dish/LNB combo for Alaska works amazingly well, no precipitation fade ever. It is cloudy, foggy and snowing right now with these readings...
Also curious;

Are the local channels DIRECTV assigns you from the Anchorage (tp. 5 on 99(s) ) or Juneau (tps. 21 and 22 on 99(s) ) market?

Since I notice you have very strong signals at or near 100 on all three tps. supplying both markets on 99(s) ...

Also curious;

Are the local channels DIRECTV assigns you from the Anchorage (tp. 5 on 99(s) ) or Juneau (tps. 21 and 22 on 99(s) ) market?

Since I notice you have very strong signals at or near 100 on all three tps. supplying both markets on 99(s) ...

Locals are from Anchorage. KTUU, KTBY, KYES, KAKM, KTVA, KYUR, KYURDT2, KDMD 1-4. I also built an OTA antenna to get the locals that are not on satellite, all on VHF high except one.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 3)