Signal Tweak

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

tpayne105

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jul 1, 2006
Dallas, TX
Hey all

First of all, I am posting for the first time. I have been reading posts for a long time..don't really know why I haven't registered before as I have learned a TON of stuff from everyone on here...

Anyway, I have *D and have had it for a long time. I have the HD package, etc....however, I believe my dish is not aligned as well as it could be....strange as it may sound, I can literally pull the dish backwards a bit and the signal gets stronger...I do not trust myself enough to adjust it myself...if I called *D, are they going to charge me and what will they charge to come out and "tweak" my dish's signal?

I appreciate your help...

Thanks

Todd

Depending on your standing with D* they may waive the fee, or offer credits to cover the fee they will charge you, if any. Play some CSR roulette and see.

FWIW, When I first had D*, I had a dual LNB, and notice the peak (too late) sucked, so I called and asked what it would cost for a new 3 LNB, as I may want to get HD later, they sent a tech out, with the new dish, costed me 50 bucks, got to keep the old dual dish for a backup, AND got about an average of 12 points higher on all signals, my point being, maybe if you DO have the Phase 3, you can get them to give you a free new AT9, which would of course come peaked, you never know.

You can of course, peak the dish yourself, if it is a Phase 3 (as opposed to the new AT9), it is fairly simple, you already got the thumbing technique idea down, just remember not to mess with the Skew, can't hurt much to try, if you make it worse, you'll still have pay the same to get repeaked.

Last edited:
Thanks for the response....

What is the difference between Phase 3 and AT9? Well I am guessing one is a later "model"...but how do I know which one I have?

Thanks again

Todd

tpayne105 said:
Thanks for the response....

What is the difference between Phase 3 and AT9? Well I am guessing one is a later "model"...but how do I know which one I have?

Thanks again

Todd

The Phase 3 has 3 LNBs on the front of the dish, and gets 3 satellites, the AT9 is for the new mpeg4 H20 (and soon HR20 HDDVR), and has 5 LNBs (3 LBs in one housing, and 2 in another), and gets (will get) 5 satellites, and is much bigger, it will be used to pull in the 5 satellites, one or more which will be using the new (to D*), Ku band.

And before you ask, yes, your present equipment can use the AT9 as you do with the Phase3, you just won't be able to get mpeg4 channels until you get a H(R)20.

Last edited:
PhaseI = 1 LNB
PhaseII = 2 LNB from factory, no built-in multi-switch (can have 3rd LNB added)
PhaseIII = 3 LNB from factory, built-in multi-switch
AT9 = 5 LNB (Ku/Ka)

Last edited:
Well I talked to someone in retention and they actually talked me through the adjustment process..it was really easy to be honest. My signal strength is now in the upper 70s and lower 80s. The CSR did schedule a service call for this Wednesday afternoon but also gave me a credit for being "a great long time customer". He said if after I adjusted the dish, I could either cancel the service call or still have them come out.

Not sure what I will....it is free and maybe he can even get the signal higher????

Thanks again for your help

Todd

The signal could go higher than it is now. It's not hard to peak; I would try it one more time. If you can't get it any higher by yourself, then I would call them.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)