Status
Please reply by conversation.

Mr Tony

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Nov 17, 2003
Mankato, MN
Well as I type this up I was trying to figure out how to say it. Well I guess the old "be blunt" works the best right?

I'm leaving as staff of Satelliteguys and honestly I'll probably leave the board as a whole. No I'm not moving to another board. I'm just bored with free to air and satellite in general. When I started with free to air in 2003 I got it to save 7.95 a month on my Bell ExpressVu bill. At the time the radio stations on there (some 40 Canadian stations) and the audio channels were in the clear and I was paying $8 a month for them. So I bought a FTA receiver for 60 bucks and hooked it up. Very basic unit. 10 TP entry, no way to move a motor, no channel editing, nothing fancy. You typed in the TP and scanned in all the channels on that transponder. But they came in. So I saved $8 a month.
Then I got a 30" dish and found out alot more was out there. Use to manually aim the dish at a few different satellites. Mainly was used for college hockey games. Upgraded the receiver to one with blind scan and wow that really changed what I watched :) (also there went the $8 a month I was saving)
Got a motor and upgraded the dish (better 30" dish) and away I went. Stumbled upon a satellite that had a bunch of stations from around the country. Thought "why the hell would I need 6 different Pax (now Ion) stations or 5 WB stations?" Yes I had stumbled upon the Equity channels. Pretty much left a dish there for 5+ years. Also had some other networks on KU Band. Also found this crazy preacher named Dr Gene Scott on 93W screaming "Git on the Telephone". I could sit there watching him and usually ended up falling asleep. Still do that sometimes.

Memories I'll have
-finding the 1st sports feed on KU
-finding those weird channels
-stumbling upon the equity stations
-remembering how many people put a fixed dish at 123W. I mean it had 35 Equity stations, including the Tube, the Puerto Rico networks (just NBC, CBS, ABC), and UWTV
-The network changes by Equity. Seemed to be weekly for a while.
-LickTV...oh how that sounds soooo bad. But Equity called some stations that after they dropped the Pax affiliation
-UonTV...remember that? Where you paid to get your program on TV. And it seemed like everytime you turned it on there was the Sadoun infomercial, the guys on the 4 wheelers, or what looked like a wedding video.
-The baseball games on Equity channels. Some Sunday's there would be 3 or 4 games
-finding the sports feeds that very few people outside of watching it on a public access channel in a small town could see
-Ohio News Network. I dont know why but I dug this channel.
-74W being the satellite for sports feeds
-Telstar 4 at 89W blowing up
-AMC9 moving from 85W to 83W
-Dish moving all their channels off 105 and subleasing it to companies for sports feeds
-105W becoming the satellite for sports feeds (taking over at one time for 74W)
-gaining some network stations when Hurricane Katrina hit
-The infamous "What happened to Equity stations" threads every time rain went through Little Rock
-KUIL 64 from Beaumont, TX. Fox station that actually had decent programming on it
-The Tube leaving and being replaced with Retro Jams
-Retro Jams Sunday Night (the call in show) but the video list was very slim so you were limited on what you could ask for them to play.
-White Springs TV. Was on the furthest west KU satellite (129W) and could pick it up with a frickin pie tin and a tookpick
-the "test channels" that Dish would do at 148W. Always fun to see what Dish was up to.
-the whole PBS is moving from 87W to this new KU satellite at 125W and the threads we had on that
-finding a bunch of "secret info" on the move for the affiliates (still have those PDF's)
-on C-Band when the Alaska channels went in the clear for like 6 months. All 4 networks+PBS+My Network. That was the bomb. Allowed me to see Ted Sadtler and the Mattress Ranch commercials which I still laugh at to this day.
-the later timezone feeds of CW, My Network, ABC & Fox so if we missed a show it would be on later in the night
-RTN...Retro TV Network. The best thing Equity ever came up with (besides being on satellite).
-The chinese (I think) mux on 127W with the best channel name ever..."SNOT"
-RTN and their dispute with new owner Luken and the red screen of death when they got pulled frm the Equity stations...that and Equity posted Luken's cell number if you had any questions on why RTN was pulled
-RTN getting back up on 83W with a shoestring budget
-Unreliable Sources...a screwed up show sometimes. And before that an even MORE screwed up show
-Confessions. When those lonely women would call in and tell Gary that they cheated on thier husband with the milkman, the paper boy, The UPS man etc and wanted help
-the news channels from around the world like Al Jazeera English, Press TV, CCTV etc

I could go on and on

Then sadly we started losing some good stations.
-UonTV (ok not really sad. Nice concept but hey it sucked)
-KUIL drops the Fox feed and leaves
-Ohio News Network goes internet
-Then there is the whole Equity slow and dying death that actually we are coming up on the 2 year anniversary of Equity being sold and channels leaving. Actually it started earlier than that when they were losing affiliations and basically filled them with RTN (now RTV). Then the red screen of death and them scrambling to fill it with really old crappy public domain movies before settling on This TV and Tuff TV on some. Equity gets sold and slowly we lose what was left. Then 6/12/09 comes (the DTV upgrade) and kills more stations quickly because they were full powered.

Yes I know there is still stuff up there on KU Band like the news stations but honestly its nowhere near the "good old days". There's lots of college sports still up there but with college football, basketball and hockey done for the season there isnt that much sports on KU. The system may not move satellites for a few days at a time.

I want to thank everyone here who calls the free to air section of Satelliteguys home. I've learned a lot here from y'all and tried to give that knowledge to folks starting out. I want to thank Scott for giving us this area as our own little playground. When I first got into FTA all there was for us was the "general satellite area" and really nobody posted. But Scott made a free to air section for us and it expanded beyond that simple area into what you see now with separate sections for C-Band, 4DTV, PC Cards, a software and manual download section and an area where we can shoot the breeze on non-technical FTA stuff. He asked me to help run this area and I had fun doing it.

There is an old saying "Do what you love until the desire to do it is gone". Well sadly the desire is gone so its time for me to move on. Its been fun guys . :(

-Berg

So there isn't much of anything worthwhile left on FTA? No Fox News or CNN? I just started researching FTA tonight, and then see this. Kinda disheartening, lol.

I feel you Iceberg, for the short time I have been in FTA the excitement has been there but with the channels disappearing there is no reason to be obsessed with FTA. One Ku motorized and one C band BUD is really enough to find something to watch if you feel like it. Life is short and its wise to dedicate your energy to something you are truly passionate about. Good luck in your next great endeavor!

I just started this hobby last fall with a 30" dish and I had a lot of set backs but studing your posts got me through it.
I now get RTV, TuffTv, PBS, CCTV and a whole lot more with a cheap dish and my hand for a motor.
I even picked up a 6 ft dish that I haven't got to work yet but I know I will by studying your old posts.
As a Newbie I want to let you know you did make a difference...
So THANKS and GOOD LUCK with what ever you do

signed the New Guy
Frank
Frank

Tony,

I only have an idea of the tens thousands of hours that you have volunteered on the SatelliteGuys site throughout the years. Not only have you been a great moderator, but I also consider you a great friend! Though we have never met in person, I feel like you have been that great neighbor who is always there to lend a hand on a project, lean across the fence and shoot the breeze or sit in the shade of the BUD share a cold one!

Thank you for the thousands of thankless times that you have selflessly shared your experience and incredible satellite knowledge or deleted the never ending hack posts! :eek: Thank you for making this form a fun place to call home!

Keep the HOA in check, new dishes sprouting and I hope that you wont be a stranger in the FTA forum!

:wave

What is that I smell......wait......oh I know, APRIL FOOLS.

Suckers!

I can't believe you guys would fall for this on TODAY especially! :popcorn

Hey! Look up, the word "Gullible" is written on the ceiling! ;)

Last edited:
Sorry to see you go Ice! You have always been a big help here for me and others and a giant icon that will be very hard to replace.Best of luck to your future and giod bless you.DAMM!!!!!!!!! I THINK I HAVE BEEN FOOLED!!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited:
Tony, I sure hope this is and april fools joke and a darn good one too. If not best wishes in whatever you decide the next hobby will be. Thanks for the many times you've helped me as well....Blind

I don't come down here much, but don't you do this. You are a staple around Satelliteguys, just like baseball, hot dogs and apple pie. I hope this is just a bs April fools joke. I have to take my mom to the hospital for tests this morning. I fear she has something bad going on, but when I get back I will be looking for you.;)

Nah, you can't get away. FTA is an addiction. It is an addiction, I tell you! Once you're hooked, you're hooked for life. There's no escape, no hope for a life away from the dish. When the dish calls, you must go to it.

You REALLY had me going... I couldn't believe what I was reading! Then, of course, April Fools (or, at least I HOPE April Fools!!!)

I was caught completely off guard. I'll be more careful as the day progresses.

This WAS an April Fools joke, wasn't it?!

WOW what a shock! I sure hope this is an April Fools joke, because if not I'm sure going to miss reading your threads and learning more and more about FTA satellite. Even my 15 year old daughter knows who you are, because your name is mentioned almost daily in my household. It was because of you that I got back into the satellite hobby after not being into it since the 80's.

Yes, a lot of stations have gone, but wait until you see what's coming:
PB&J, My Family TV and many more.

Plus look at what channels have been added in the past 1-2 years:
Me TV, eScapes, The Pursuit Channel, etc. Ok, so I couldn't think of too many. :)

come on folks, do you really believe that? It's either April fools joke or a severe head injury, and I hope it wasn't an injury!

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)