Simple.TV DVR

jgantert

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Apr 7, 2004
Aberdeen, MD
So, anyone picking up the Simple.TV DVR? I figure most of us already have a ROKU and OTA. This little box (plus a USB 2.0 hard drive) gives a cheap DVR solution.

https://www.simple.tv/overview

$149, plus subscription ($49/yr or $149 lifetime)

Supports iOS, Roku and PC browsers using HTML5. Looks to support time-shifting (pause live TV), record only new episodes, name based recording. Only ONE tuner. Requires wired network connection (10/100). Has ethernet in/out ports for passthru.

From the tech spec:

Video Output Formats

Switches seamlessly depending on user connection speed:

Resolution variable up to 1080p
Bit-rate: variable from 768kbps to 7Mbps
Format: H.264 in HLS or MP4 wrapper

Audio Formats

AAC Stereo
Dolby Digital Plus pass-through (coming soon)

Minimum Upload Requirement

1Mbps upstream bandwidth (minimum) recommended for remote streaming
10Mbps in-home bandwidth recommended for in-home HD streaming

So I wonder how well this will perform on my Roku LT with Wireless N 2.4Ghz only (no wireless or 5Ghz wireless N available)?

downsides
only one tuner
no way to hook it to your TV (but they show 2 coax jacks)??

so I'm confused (I'm not the most computer savvy person)....so I hook the ethernet cable up to the back of this and since I have a wired router (computer and Directv right now hooked up) I could play stuff from there regardless of my internet speed (I have DSL)

it looks nice.....but the one tuner is kinda a killer if you record more than one OTA thing at a time

2 Coax, 1 in, 1 out (passthru). Just like the ethernet (1in, 1out passthru). Place this in-line between the wall-jack and your TV or cable box.

This just uses local network, so your internet speeds don't matter for local playback. If you want to stream outside the home, then you need high speed internet (like using slingbox outside of the home). Even your DSL should support remote playback to a low resolution device like an iPhone.

From reading the site, it looks like it makes 3 recording of the show at different resolutions to support playback based on the playback device.

looks cool, not for me though. seems kind of "gimmicky" if that's a word :)

Sold out?

January tweet from Simple TV states that it is still in testing. Seems like there would be an active user forum and current product reviews if they had shipped more than the early batch for testers...

Something isn't right with this project....

I see a couple of them are on EBay with "lifetime" service

As for the "sold out" in Nov & December they kept pushing back the shipping date

Well, they are selling them again from their website.
Last night, I impulsively ordered on without doing due diligence of researching the product and customer feedback!
Now if I don't get a response from them soon, I will have to call my credit card company and cancel or dispute the transaction.
Am getting nervous because of the negative on line comments!
It sounds like a great product if it works reliably and is just what I've been looking for.
Has anyone out there bought one in recent days? And what type of experience have you had.
Would use it with basic unencrypted cable.

Well I have had some productive communication with the mfr. and seller of this product and yesterday I rec'd an email confirming the Simple TV Dvr has shipped.
Looking forward to testing it out - comes with a full 3o day refund- will let you guys know how well it preforms...

Good for them! I guess there is still a lot of demand for an OTA DVR.
A DVR designation presumes that it can be used with a TV and that's clearly not the case. The device supports only web browsers and some Roku models at this time. It should be thought of as more like a simple media center computer than a DVR.

I suspect that the XBMC Raspberry Pi is probably a better deal but we'll find out more soon.

They shipped my unit out via USPS Pri Mail, rec'd it in 48 hrs. from CA!
I gotta tell you - have been pleasantly surprised with my Simple TV DVR experience thus far!
Just today I finally got the latest software version successfully installed in my box and what an improvement so far!
I have my connected to Comcast QAM in the clear basic tier and the quantity of chs detected and stored was good!
Much better than the new Boxee unit I tried but returned it to walmart a week later.
Love the guide (pd. 50 bucks for the premium guide service).
recording of programs was definitely glitchy and often failed. Also the speed of changing chs and getting the guide to function was painfully slow but the latest soft ver. 625 (?) has helped with these issues for sure! Also had some inaccurate guide info before the update.
For me, it so far is what I had hoped for, i.e. an inexpensive now rather reliable means to get a ch guide for QAM chs. and the DVR is gravy!
I am using it with my Roku for on sreen tv viewing but have also played around with using it on my PC.
I have to do all of my settings and programming on line the Roku app can however allow me to access recorded programs.:)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts