Single wire feed for HD-DVR

Status
Please reply by conversation.

justme2

Aug 17, 2007
North Port FL
I am upgrading from my Hughes HD box to the new HR20-700. I guess I should have looked at the system before I bought it. It requires a separate LNB feed for each Tuner. I only have two feeds coming from my HD antenna. Currently 3 LNB but have the 5 LNB ready to install. Is there a way to use a diplexer for the second tuner?? I have a block home and the antenna and TV are on opposite sides of the house. Running more feeds is impossible.

HELP !!!:(

I am upgrading from my Hughes HD box to the new HR20-700. I guess I should have looked at the system before I bought it. It requires a separate LNB feed for each Tuner. I only have two feeds coming from my HD antenna. Currently 3 LNB but have the 5 LNB ready to install. Is there a way to use a diplexer for the second tuner?? I have a block home and the antenna and TV are on opposite sides of the house. Running more feeds is impossible.

HELP !!!:(
Your confusing, you said you have 2 feeds coming in, then mentioned an antenna.
Are you saying you have 1 feed that goes to the sat dish and 1 feed that goes to the antenna ?

If you have 2 feeds from the sat dish, you should be good to go.

On to a solution, Currently there are none, you cannot diplex with the new 5 lnb setup. (you can until the new sat is operational next month, but after that you cannot)

However, there is a device that D* is beta testing that will solve your problem, It's called a SWM Single Wire Multiswitch, but it's still in testing stages.
I would check back around the first of the year for it.

Jimbo

However, there is a device that D* is beta testing that will solve your problem, It's called a SWM Single Wire Multiswitch, but it's still in testing stages.
I would check back around the first of the year for it.

Jimbo

Thinking about getting a 2nd hr20 but am unable to run a 2nd cable to the location that i would put it and would like to know, will this be a hardware or software upgrade? If it is a hardware upgrade will it require a new box or would you be able to add it hardware onto an existing box?

Thinking about getting a 2nd hr20 but am unable to run a 2nd cable to the location that i would put it and would like to know, will this be a hardware or software upgrade? If it is a hardware upgrade will it require a new box or would you be able to add it hardware onto an existing box?

This is definatley a Hardware item, I think that it will have a part on both ends, like a diplexer would.
I have not seen one yet, there may be photos on another site, also not sure if you will be able to have them send it to you or if it will require an installer.

Jimbo

It is called a single-wire multiswitch. You run four cables from the dish to the input. There are two models, one for use with 5 tuners (DVRs have 2) and one for 8 tuners. These only work with the HR20, but will later work with the D12 and H20 when their software gets upgraded. There are also 2 "legacy" outputs on the 5 tuner model (3 on the 8) which will work with other receivers (separate cables from these are required). The SWM outputs can be used with diplexers and splitters and only one cable is needed for the HR20 (it is split internally). There is a separate power inserter box supplied. More information and pictures are in the "cutting edge" forum on dbstalk.com.

With the SWM, the B-band converter is no longer required. Mine is one of the field test units and I don't know when they will be generally available, but it will probably be soon.

Hey Guy's
Sorry my original question was not clear. I only have one wire to the back of my HR20-700. I have no way of running another cable to it. I also only have two coaxial cables running from my 5 LNB dish. I may be able to pull two more if I needed to. I guess what I need to know is when with the SWM be available and what will I need to do to install it.

The SWM-5 version has four coaxial connections from the dish (it needs all four) and two outputs. It also has "flexports" for connection to 95 or 72.5 dishes (needed for international and some local channels). A cable from one of the outputs goes to a power inserter with another cable from the power inserter to the HR20. This line (between the power inserter and receiver) can be split to feed additional receivers, as can the other output from the SWM. The power inserter can be mounted in an attic or basement (but not outside) and needs access to the house A.C. circuits. The SWM itself can be mounted outside, if desired. There are also two "legacy" ports on the SWM which can feed an older receiver which does not support the SWM technology. Supposedly there should be at least 15 ft. of cable between the SWM and PI, but the explanations I have seen for this don't make a lot of sense.

I mounted my SWM in my crawl space (where I originally had a multiswitch mounted) and the power inserter is located near my HR20.

Only Directv knows when it will be available (there are probably a few hundred in the test program), but I suspect it will be soon (probably later this year).

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Possibly switching to D*- Some questions

VIZIO remote code

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)