Sirius Home Antenna

DarrellP

I Think, therefore, I am.
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Nov 6, 2003
Salem, OR
What's the secret to orienting this thing? :confused: I've mounted it in 3 locations with a good signal, then it goes away. It seems very sensitive, almost as much so as a Dish LNB. I am very frustrated with it and have started using my laptop streaming the internet feed to my HT receiver instead of bringing my unit into the house. Why does the signal come and go so much? Does the satellite wobble that much in orbit? Could a car antenna be used instead and wouldn't it work better anyway? I rarely lose my car signal, I've even had it in a parking garage. :eek:

Any tips appreciated.

Thanks. :up

Have you tried another antenna? Maybe the one you have is faulty. I am in Phoenix and have no drops my antenna is on the roof oriented straight up like on my car.

I don't have access to another antenna. I've tried it straight up, laying down and angled every which way but loose and it seems very sensitive as to how it's pointed and angled, like it needs just the exact angle or I get nothing. I'll try putting it up on my roof. I was under the impression that this sat is directly over the middle of the US so I don't think I have any obstructions in my line of sight. It seems like I have to point it more Easterly like my 61.5 dish.

I'd just be sure that you have a good view to the East / South East.

Here in PHX I had the antenna sitting in a North facing window. This worked most of the time but would randomly lose signal. Later I actually mounted the antenna outside on the Edge of a small patio that extends about 4' below that window. Now I get full signal 90% of the time and it'll occationally drop to 2 bars but never loses signal.

The orbit looks likes like a '&' with the criss-cross section right about over Minnesota (at least from the ground it looks like that :) ).

Thsi is the best digram i've seen:

http://www.cashflowbusiness.net/siri_orbit.htm

It also explains why it works then drops out if it's marginal.

Last edited:
Wow Shawn! That explains it. I always lose my signal right around 9 at night or so and that is when the Northernmost sat is out of view of my antenna and the other sat is out of sight and the third one is still way far south. I guess I need to put the antenna on top of my roof so I always have visibility to at least one sat.

Thanks.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)