Sirius Newbie

MPhilly03

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Dec 22, 2004
I recently purchased the XACT Stream Jokcey (with car and home kits) and I also recently found this forum and thought some of you with more experience might be able to help me with a couple of questions:

1. I live outside of Philadelphia and the signal on the radio sometimes gives out (and I get an "acquiring signal" message). I have noticed that this seems to be connected to when a train goes by (I live about 5 or 6 blocks away and can hear the whistle). The antenna is pointed in the direction of tracks but I am still surpirsed that there would be any connection between the train passing and failing reception. Has anyone else experienced anything like this and if so what can be done about it.

2. I understand that XM signed a deal for baseball but I was wondering if this will be in effect for the 2005 season. If not, are many games available on Sirius (through ESPN or another channel)?

Thanks to anyone who answers and have a Happy Holidays!

Welcome to Satellite guys!!!!

I'm not sure why your would be losing the signal when ever a train goes by. The only reason I can think if is the way the antenna is pointed it is getting blocked by the train :confused:

As far as baseball goes I believe ESPN gave up its rights to broadcast Baseballl games over Sat radio when the XM deal was signed. You will still here it if you have a local ESPN station on regular radio but not on the ESPN radio Sat broadcast.

1. First thing I can think of is the just point the antenna straight up instead of in a general direction, especially if it is outside. You will usually receive better reception this way, even though they tell you to "point" the antenna.

2. I recall that the deal does indeed start with 2005, but the deal still isn't very clear. XM hasn't claimed that baseball will be an exclusive, however ESPN I believe has sold their broadcast rights. The only guarantee at this point is that you WILL hear baseball on XM, but it is a crap shoot on whether you will on Sirius.

Great choice in radio though. I have the Xact, car and home kits and pod.

Thanks for the reply.

I was surprised that the train would have any impact but after about 2 weeks it seems to be a trend. As for baseball I thought I might have read that the XM deal did not go into effect until 2006. Oh, well I guess I will stuck listening to jsut Phillies game on the regular radio (since the local ESPN station does not have a very strong signal and seems to run Game Night as opposed to national baseball games).

1. First thing I can think of is the just point the antenna straight up instead of in a general direction, especially if it is outside. You will usually receive better reception this way, even though they tell you to "point" the antenna.

By straight up do mean at a 90 degree angle (ie "unfolded")? I tried this originally and after moving all around seemed to do better with it at about a 60% angle. However, to be honest I don't fully understand the technology and did read that there are repeaters (maybe not the right word) in the Philly area. I would have thought that this would have minimized any signal interference.

As for the radio, I was looking at the Sportser and saw a shot of the XACT in Parade magazine. Then it was just a matter of waiting for Sirius Direct to put a promo code with it to make it a little more cost effective.

Yeah, there are repeaters in Philly, or supposed to be, but I'm not sure how effective they are. I believe I read somewhere that unless you were directly downtown they didn't work so well. And by straight up I meant completely folded so that the Sirius logo is pointed straight up at the sky. Much like the car antennas.

I will give that I shot when I get home to see if it makes it any better. Thanks for the thoughts.

Fold it down big fella

Not exactly Bill Walton with a "Throw it down big fella" but by folding the antenna down the reception seems to be much better. Thanks to DaJoker for the tip!!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)