Sirius No Different

Diamond Jim

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Aug 18, 2004
The Boilermaker State (#19)
After listening to Sirius for over a month now I am convinced that except for no commericals, it is no different than any other radio station, same songs over and over. I don't mind hearing the same artist repeated daily if they play different songs. Yesterday I heard Steve Miller's "The Joker" on my way to work, on my way to lunch, and again on my way home. Granted that is one of my favorite songs of all time, but 3 time in an 8 hour span is just a little to much. This is just one example, I listen to Blues, the Vault, classic vinyl among others, it's all the same. That is just my opinion, would love to hear some of yours.

I listen to faction, octane and radio disney when the kids are in the car and I can't hear 99% of those tracks on regular radio. Radio Disney can cut back on their self promotion however.

I for one love my Sirius and have yet to listen to the radio since my purchase last June. However, I rarely listen to the music stations and if I do, it is typically 1st wave or the 80's station ... I love them both! I noticed if I listen to Sirius Hits One there are a lot of repeats. Who cares! Switch the channel and catch something else via Satellite. I got Sirius for the talk. Simply put .. LOVE IT!

i've noticed the repetitiveness too (on classic vinyl and the 60's and 70's stations) and am a bit disappointed. you can certainly hear things that you can't hear on FM, but i get the feeling that in a year i'll have heard every song they play. the reggae station is disappointing as well, for anyone really familiar with the music.

Well, there's such a variety of rock stations that you can easily flip from one to the other to another and still be in the same genre, but have totally different flavors of music.

Every so often I'll channel surf and you'll have no idea what channel you'll end up on.

I got Sirius because I was sick of hearing the same 10 songs on the hard rock station and the same 15 songs on the Classic rock station.

Love Hair Nation…yeah they play the same songs. But they play stuff that I haven’t heard in a long time. And with the new “you play something that someone might get offended” rules, regular radio doesn’t the good ones.

Perfect example….Our local classic rock station use to play Nazareth “Hair of the Dog”…well……since they finally figured out that the chorus is “now you’re messing with a son of a bitch” they won’t play it anymore.

I use to call the rock station (93X in Minneapolis) and use to request good songs and I would get “we’ll try to get it on” and never would.

Sirius all the way…except for when I’m in Duluth. Gotta listen to the Bear for “Free Beer Friday’s”…you hear the song and be caller 9, you get a free case of beer :D

Here is the song for those interested
http://www.krbr.com/readonlydir/WNUpload/KRBR/free%20beer%20song.mp3

I have had Sirius and XM and got rid of Sirius because of the repetition. XM is better for me because it has MLB and a deeper play list with less repetition and there decades station blow Sirius's out of the water. if your sick of the repetition give XM a try. But whatever you don't go to FM. I got sick of the two stations we have here long ago and hate adds.

Hey guys you will be happy to know that Sirius is taking care of the repeat issue... That has been a big topic over at Sirius backstage and it seems that a lot of the channels are opening their playlist up a little more... I am hearing things on some of the streams that I have not heard in a long time... BTW ICE I looked at 93X on YES.NET and you are right the playlist is very bad..... Had to throw that in since I am a radio geek and a former radio jock... CC

Diamond Jim said:
Yesterday I heard Steve Miller's "The Joker" on my way to work, on my way to lunch, and again on my way home. yours.

You must have been hearing things. According to the song tracker on itsonsirius.com "The Joker" by any artist on any sirius channel was played once on March first at 11:59, Classic Vinyl. Check it out for yourself here

Are you sure you didn't accidently have a Steve Miller CD inserted?

topcats69 said:
I have had Sirius and XM and got rid of Sirius because of the repetition. XM is better for me because it has MLB and a deeper play list with less repetition and there decades station blow Sirius's out of the water. if your sick of the repetition give XM a try. But whatever you don't go to FM. I got sick of the two stations we have here long ago and hate adds.

Okay, So I'm bias to SIRIUS. But here it is. I love 80s rock.

XM has wind bags for DJ's. Especially the morning guy on the 80s.
XM Plays TOO MANY B SIDES! That's right, stupid stuff I don't want to hear.

SIRIUS needs a little more variety and they are actually doing it more now then before.
SIRIUS DJs ROCK!

My music listening is with SIRIUS, but I have both because CNN Headline news is only avaible on XM and it's one of the things I enjoy listening to on the road.

But in general, XM Plays too many songs I don't want to hear and I find myself getting tired of the music and changing channels. Odd, but I can sit here at my desk and program all day (and like tonight, all night) and listen to the same channel for days.

Iceberg said:
Sirius all the way…except for when I’m in Duluth. Gotta listen to the Bear for “Free Beer Friday’s”…you hear the song and be caller 9, you get a free case of beer :D

So How many times have you won?

Carroll A said:
BTW ICE I looked at 93X on YES.NET and you are right the playlist is very bad..... Had to throw that in since I am a radio geek and a former radio jock... CC

I was a die hard 93x fan for a long time...then I realized it was the same stuff and recently its the same stuff even more now :(

I'm with you on Sirius, I switched over to XM and have been much happier. I love the free Internet service they have, I can listen to the stations if at home and my girlfriend has the radio with her.

The portable unit I got is great, In most major cities I don't even need an antenna and 50% of the time can get a Sat. signal without one no matter where I am.

I find myself listening to music less now and getting in to the talk shows, but on long road trips I went days without hearing the same song played and some obscure ones I haven't heard on regular radio at all; the problem with the music on both is I am too picky and am better off with a MP3 player and allofmp3.com You should complain to Sirius and tell them what you want to hear; I know Mel is getting ready to format the stations for commericals on Sirius (not the music channels) and with all the money they are bleeding right now they might listen if enough people complain that they will leave. What I can't understand is all the money they are throwing at names (Stern, Martha, etc.), make a big annoucement, stock goes up a bit and then falls further down; why they just don't invest in content and better technology is beyond me. But XM having a Golf channel kinda makes me wonder what they are thinking, three of my friends bought an XM because of it... but still, Golf on the radio?

I might resubscribe to Sirius for Stern(I will still keep XM); but his shows lately are just awful and I've stopped listening to him once I discovered Opie and Anthony (I have laughed more in a week than a month with Stern). I almost can't justify paying $12 just for his egotisical rants... if I liked football that would be different.

The industry is young and its going to change, I think you can try out XM web for free; might be a way to see if you like it more than Sirius. But no matter what, either one is better than AM or FM.

Sirius has their music available online for free as long as you subscribe to the service.

Lately they have had their original talk shows available online as well. Jay Thomas, Radiochick, a couple of people on Talk Left, the Wise Guys on Wednesdays, Jim Breuer, and I think Phil's two shows as well.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts