Sirius PORTABLE radio

cherrie6

Original poster
Nov 8, 2005
The new S50 is not a radio that plays as you go as in walkman type radio. You have to record shows in order to listen . I read somewhere that in mid 2006 Sirius will be unveiling such a product . Anyone else hear anything about this?

cherrie6 said:
The new S50 is not a radio that plays as you go as in walkman type radio. You have to record shows in order to listen . I read somewhere that in mid 2006 Sirius will be unveiling such a product . Anyone else hear anything about this?

This is a "Tivo" for satellite radio. You can listen to live programming or program it to record to listen later.
Very nice radio but kind of pricey right now.

The Sirius S50 is an intelligent leap forward in Satellite Radio technology providing integration of both live and time shifted content for portable use, including MP3/WMA support and My SIRIUS Studio PC Software. The simplified user interface has a brilliant color screen, contextual media dial, and voice prompts for safe driving.

Sirius S50 is a personalized satellite radio experience both on air and off. The many docking options have a simplified user interface for live content and up to 50 hours of intelligent time shifted playback. The slim portable player connects with the PC for downloading digital audio files from your personal music collection.
The latest in Satellite Radio technology combines live reception within the home, car, or office with a portable player which boasts a full color screen and over 50 hours of content storage. Add your favorite MP3’s to recorded exclusive content from Sirius for personalized play lists with the PC Software. When placed in a powered dock with an antenna, the Sirius S50 recieves live broadcasts from Sirius Radio and records content for playback in the home, car or when portable.
http://www.sirius.com/servlet/ContentServer?pagename=Sirius/CachedPage&c=ProductAsset&cid=1130363753674

Purogamer said:
I read somewhere that battery life is really low, I guess because of the screen...

From my own personal tests, the S50 played 3.5 hours with the display "Always On" and played a little over 6 hours with the display in a 15 second mode. Your mileage may vary.

cherrie6 said:

XM has one Myfi.:D

Sirius - XACT have a add-on battey/antenna pack that allows their radio to be totally portable while play "live" Sirius content. That total radio & pack size is the size of an adult male's palm and about 1" thick. ADDED: weight about 1lb

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts