Sirius XM / Liberty Reach Deal

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
So what you are saying is that our stock goes away? We get .20 per share? Then there is no reason for anyone to be buying any right now is there?
Your stocks haven't gone away. You own them, even if they are worthless. They avoided bankruptcy, probably for at least another year. Your stock is worth .20/share now. It's not going anywhere but up now. There's positive cash flow again. If you purchased the stock yesterday at .10/share, like I did, then today you doubled your money. Just wish I had bought more than a thousand shares.

And remember, during the Great Depression, those stocks made great toliet paper. You can never have enough of that!:D

Good ones, the only comment I have is regarding #6, I took the advantage of the great GM incentives for loyal customers and traded in my old truck for a new one a few days ago, this Sirius rescue will allow me to enjoy the three months free Sirius radio without interruption:)

A few days ago I thought my newly acquired truck would have a useless piece of electronic junk with a piece of ugly antenna on the roof top. Now such reality is pushed back:)

I did the same thing, took advantage of those great GM incentives(and after the stimulus bill passed, writing off the sales tax) to get a new 2009 Chevy with an outstanding built in XM radio and free three months.

Winners today.....

1. Charlie. OK, he didn't get control... he just made 5-10x his investment back since the debt gets paid in full for the 10 cents on the dollar (or whatever he paid for it) he paid out. He could have lost it all in bankruptcy, but Mel would have had a shareholder revolt if he did that.

Not correct. For the little i understand some or a lot of the debt charlie bought is not due until december and even some at was paid off may not be paid in the full amount. it's like when a company buys bad debt for penneys on the dollar typically it's not paid back at full price by the borrower.

I had heard all of the debt he bought was from the February bonds that were coming due... He didn't NEED to buy any of the mid year or December bonds since he could push them into giving control to him on the February ones alone....

Yep, that's my understanding. And lacking bankruptcy protection, the debtor will pay in full unless the creditor is agreeable to take less.

No, not always. It would be similar to someone refinancing their house to get a better rate. It makes the loan longer, but the payments are usually lower and more manageable. A lot of times, individuals/businesses can go into bankruptcy even, and come out stronger and more financially secure than before they went in. A prime example would be Donald Trump. Several years ago he filed for bankruptcy and didn't lose a dime of his own personal wealth. It's all about making those debts more manageable. It's in a creditors best interest to work with the debtor to find a resolution, that works for both parties, rather than the debtor enter into bankruptcy. I'd rather wait for my money a little longer than accept pennies on the dollar from bankruptcy court.
But in this case Sirius/XM went from 2 1/2% notes due now to 15% notes that mature in 2012. Unless there is some enormous untapped revenue that Sirius/XM plans to tap in the near future (or huge contracts that will be renegotiated), Karmazin has merely put off the day of judgement a few years to save his job (and his buddy Howard's contract).

So Liberty Media was the white knight today, but that just means Liberty will have a place at the table and not Echostar. So why did they choose to go this route? Sirius has had a long term relationship with Echostar. What has changed? Did they really hate Charlie that much that they would chose "anyone" over him?

Pretty much. Mel doesn't want to work for Charlie. Of course, who would?

Here's the quote from an article about the debt Ecostar purchased. "The paper reported that Echostar has purchased about $400 million of the company's debt -- including $175 million set to expire on Feb. 17 -- from various hedge funds."

This is an complete waste of money. spending 280million on xm radio.. should of let goto the pots..

What was Charlie Ergen's offer to Sirius XM? - Orbitcast

Has anyone commented on this? It seems Karmazin may have put his personal interest above the health of his company by accepting Liberty's offer rather than Charlie's.

Charlies was better but it would have resulted in him taking control of the company.

Based on the article, Charlie is not out of the fight yet.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)