Sirius XM Prepares Bankruptcy Filing

One group that should probably be concerned about with a Charlie takeover of Sirius XM are sports fans.

Between Sirius and XM, I believe all the major sports were covered for satellite radio

But which of the two satellite TV companies doesn't have NFL Sunday Ticket? Which one doesn't have MLB Network?

Now imagine a Echostar-owned Sirius XM trying to negotiate new contracts with NFL and MLB when they already have problems getting their stuff on Dish Network... :eek:

To be fair D* has had NFL Sunday Ticket as an exclusive from the beginning. They pay the NFL a premium to have that exclusive and they pass the outrageous cost on to their subscribers who somehow feel that it is worth it. I don't believe this will effect the ability of an E* owned sat radio to get NFL or MLB, however, I would bet that Ergen would let either go before being held up at gunpoint for outrageous rates to carry. Most people who have E* are cool with the fact that Ergen is a tough negotiator, but the double edged sword is that sometimes means less content due to lack of carriage deals. Some like to complain about it and even leave for D*.

As a member of the broadcasting community for 24 years I can say not everyone hates Howard Stern.

Stating that Stern is grossly overpaid is not the same as saying "I hate Stern."

Two points, whether we like them or not, both posted by several and ignored by many:

1. Stern brought more subscribers in than they hoped for, and was paid bonuses. By definition, he is not overpaid. He did more than what he was paid to do. Grossly paid, maybe. But he brought in the subs/money.

2. Sirius/XM has increased revenues and subscribers, as reported by their owner. Who can receive SEC sanctions for incorrect statements. Their churn may be up, but they have more subscribers now than they used to. Whether we like it or not.

It's only going to get tougher for Satellite Radio. Internet radio is the future of radio. Within the next 18 months, Internet radios will be in cars and offer the same kind of access to motorists for free.

If nothing else, Echostar buying Sirius would be saving their hides. They can focus less on staying in business, and more on innovation and technology so that they CAN compete with Internet Radio (I think Sirius will be an Internet Radio company eventually). Between the merger and keeping the company out of bankruptcy, they've done nothing to advance the technology.

Internet radio in cars ? That's a long way off. Broadband availabilty coast to coast ? I don't think so. Whose going to provide the hardware, repeaters, etc. on a nationwide basis, in the rural areas of this country so one can have "free" internet radio ?

its coming, I'am already listening to pandora radio on my htc touch through the sprint network and that beats a lot of the fm stations in this area as far as styles of music

A monthly Sirius/XM charge is a heck of a lot less then what monthly wireless internet access costs.

Internet radio in cars ? That's a long way off. Broadband availabilty coast to coast ? I don't think so. Whose going to provide the hardware, repeaters, etc. on a nationwide basis, in the rural areas of this country so one can have "free" internet radio ?

Wifi is already in vehicles like the new Dodge Ram and (I believe) the new Ford F150. By this time next year it will be widely available in more models as the demand is there. I know I'd love to have my car be a roving wifi hotspot so I can listen to slacker on my iPhone. Although 3G does pretty good, too.

Wireless regular data plans aren't even an option in many rural areas, much less wireless broadband speeds. So as much as I love technologies like the Iphone, satellite radio is still a more consistent option for radio service for truck drivers and rural residents.

I think internet radio can be viable, but it can't just replace XM overnight.

Few carriers offer a true 'unlimited' data plan anymore either. Most are capped at 5gb/mo.

Here in Maine we'll have EVDO (3G) statewide probably mid-year through our regional cellular carrier, but none of the majors cover the entire state themselves, let alone 3G.

Wifi is already in vehicles like the new Dodge Ram and (I believe) the new Ford F150. By this time next year it will be widely available in more models as the demand is there. I know I'd love to have my car be a roving wifi hotspot so I can listen to slacker on my iPhone. Although 3G does pretty good, too.

Including the recievers in new cars is the easy and cheap part of this equation(after all the consumer is paying for that radio when buying the new car/truck). The fly in the ointment is the wifi and being able to supply that from coast to coast. What company is going to fork out those dollars to build out reliable wifi from Maine to California and from New Mexico to the Canadian border ? And then provide the service for free ? Not very likely. Even right now reliable wifi is not available even in the urban cities. As far as coverage goes, satellite radio has no competition.

I read that article and it's bunk. Who wants to spend their time downloading music to a portable device to listen in the car at a later date ? Who for one has the time to even do that ? What if you want to change music choices while your driving to work or on an extended trip ? Oh sorry, you didn't think about that back when you were loading up your mp3 player two weeks ago with music from the internet. I just want to jump in the car in the morning and turn on the radio and have the ability to change formats/channels if some crap song comes on that I don't like. The last thing I want to do after getting home 12 hours later from work is spend time at a computer loading up my mp3 with music for the next days commute.

The big draws for me with Satellite Radio are:
1) Coast-to-Coast music on the road
2) No/Limited Commercials.

Online-Only won't satisfy #1.

I read that article and it's bunk. Who wants to spend their time downloading music to a portable device to listen in the car at a later date ? Who for one has the time to even do that ?
I already have 40 GB of music on my iPod. I don't have to be downloading more music every time I take a trip because I have countless hours worth of music already, and I suspect that most iPod users are that way. I use it at the gym and when I jog, so why not use it when I drive too?

I already have 40 GB of music on my iPod. I don't have to be downloading more music every time I take a trip because I have countless hours worth of music already, and I suspect that most iPod users are that way. I use it at the gym and when I jog, so why not use it when I drive too?

I'm with you. My iPod has tons of music on it and I listen to it my car all the time. I rarely listen to music on the radio any more. I listen to some talk shows but rarely music. My wife got a free sixth month trial with Sirius when she got her Mazda CX-9 last year. But when the subscription ran out, we didn't renew it. She has an iPod full of music and that's all she listens to in the car. I use my iPod at work, home and in the car.

Well, it looks like tomorrow may be the day they file. 'Twas best done quickly.

I decided that I wasn't going to renew because I don't like the merger/new format channels and the fact that I would have to buy new equipment to get the merged XM channels. I am now 1 month overdue on my payment and I am still receiving service. I thought that I would have a reminder notice or be turned off by now. I wonder if this BR thing has anything to do with it?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)