SIRIUS XM Sound Quality Degraded?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Matt214

Original poster
Feb 13, 2009
Plano, Texas
Has anyone else had issues with the Sirius XM music channel sound quality recently?

It seems to have degraded on both my receivers in the last week. It sounds like you are listening to the music on through a tin can. My wife even noticed it and she usually does not notice these type of things.

I called Directv and they reported no issues.

Has anyone else had issues with the Sirius XM music channel sound quality recently?

It seems to have degraded on both my receivers in the last week. It sounds like you are listening to the music on through a tin can. My wife even noticed it and she usually does not notice these type of things.

I called Directv and they reported no issues.

I noticed the tin can sound on channel 818, Flight 26. However, channel 835, Octane had no problem. So the issue seems to not be widespread.

I don't listen to a lot of the music channels often, but last night I tuned to 817 and the sound was absolutely horrible! I switched one channel back to 816 and it sounded fine. I don't even know how to explain what it sounded like. I'll check it again tonight and see if there is way I can record the audio and post it. I'm glad they don't charge extra for those channels!

it's been so so for a while now. too much compression. it sounds more like a low quality mp3 download. some channels sound better than others. i have it more for sports and a few channels of classical music. things i can't get from regular FM radio. i've hated some of the changes that occurred as a result of these two companies merging together. lost some stations i really liked and the few that remained have really lost the variety of songs they had before the merger. but i will give it a little more time to see what happens.

I don't listen to a lot of the music channels often, but last night I tuned to 817 and the sound was absolutely horrible! I switched one channel back to 816 and it sounded fine. I don't even know how to explain what it sounded like. I'll check it again tonight and see if there is way I can record the audio and post it. I'm glad they don't charge extra for those channels!

Let me know what you find out.

It really disappoints me because these stations used to sound near CD quality. My wife and I have come to rely on them when we just want some noise without commercials. Now, I can't stand to listen to them.

Let me know what you find out.

It really disappoints me because these stations used to sound near CD quality. My wife and I have come to rely on them when we just want some noise without commercials. Now, I can't stand to listen to them.

and they could have cd quality sound if they didn't compress so much.

Noticed the Tin Can Effect Too

I noticed this while listening to "The Pulse" and thought it was my receiver. So, I switched over to "Spa 93" or whatever replaced it and it sounded fine. Went back to "The Pulse" and same thing.

I also get "The Pulse" on my Sirius in my truck and it sounds fine. So it's def. an issue with DirecTV's feed.

I have a problem with their decision to replace comparable XM stations with Sirius stations. Top Tracks was better than Classic Vinyl; Big Tracks was better than Classic Rewind; Boneyard was better than Hair Nation (although they did bring it back, it is not as good as it was).

The XM rock stations (except for Boneyard and a few specialty stations) never had DJ's, thus reducing operating costs and created more time for music and less time talking.

There is a reason why XM had more subs and was profiting more than Sirius. Why in the hell a more unsuccessful company was able to take over the more successful one as opposed to the other way around is beyond me. That would be like Dish and Direct merging with Dish taking over control.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)