Scott Greczkowski

Welcome HOME!
Original poster
Staff member
HERE TO HELP YOU!
Cutting Edge
Sep 7, 2003
Newington, CT
Returned home from CES and had a surprise waiting for me, it was a new SiriusXM Lynx.

I decided to grab my camera and take pictures of the unboxing.

Setup was simple I quickly got it connected to my WIFI network and was logged into my SiriusXM account within a few minutes of powering it up was listening to SiriusXM via the internet. I then unboxxed the Home Kit and plugged it in and was getting excellent satellite and repeater signal from within my house... but at this time I have not activated the Satellite Radio portion yet.

The unit feels like an Android phone without the phone... its like booting up and Android phone but the only app you can run is SiriusXM.

The app is a lot like the iOS SiriusXM one, especially when in Internet Mode. You can go back and forward like you can on the new iOS player plus go back to old shows. The interface is fast and slick.

The Lynx has a speaker built in but it sounds HORRIBLE and is not very loud. But through your stereo system is sounds decent.

Over the next few days I will activate the satellite radio portion, but for now all the channels I want to listen to are available via WIFI. If the SiriuxXM online service had the Clear Channel programmed channels such as Extreme 165 then I would really have no reason to activate the satellite radio portion.

Attachments

• image-2221945057.png
    image-2221945057.png
    234.9 KB · Views: 432
  • image-3043302009.jpg
    image-3043302009.jpg
    56.4 KB · Views: 385
  • image-1222296691.png
    image-1222296691.png
    202.7 KB · Views: 371
  • image-3038030828.jpg
    image-3038030828.jpg
    60.1 KB · Views: 370
  • image-1727480137.jpg
    image-1727480137.jpg
    64.2 KB · Views: 394
  • image-2280941956.jpg
    image-2280941956.jpg
    57.9 KB · Views: 351
  • image-4258190940.png
    image-4258190940.png
    237.2 KB · Views: 372
  • image-3981569085.jpg
    image-3981569085.jpg
    76.1 KB · Views: 387
  • image-3437666838.jpg
    image-3437666838.jpg
    68.2 KB · Views: 384
  • image-3119899245.jpg
    image-3119899245.jpg
    56.2 KB · Views: 379
  • image-1317730364.png
    image-1317730364.png
    181.4 KB · Views: 402
  • image-3419786845.png
    image-3419786845.png
    197 KB · Views: 398
  • image-1447179828.jpg
    image-1447179828.jpg
    58.9 KB · Views: 381
  • image-3912608564.jpg
    image-3912608564.jpg
    54.2 KB · Views: 408
  • image-3414044847.png
    image-3414044847.png
    229.9 KB · Views: 459
Last edited:
DodgerKing said:
To use every thing on this radio you have to have both the internet service and satellite service?

Yes. Which kind of stinks as you are paying twice for the same content.

scott ty for your review and help with this im thinking of getting one :)

Last edited:
Scott have you recieved a weird error message on your Lynx when trying to authenticate your Internet streaming account? I got this odd "-1" error.

I have yet to see that on mine but I wish that every time that I put in the the home dock it wouldn't activate bluetooth

Scott have you recieved a weird error message on your Lynx when trying to authenticate your Internet streaming account? I got this odd "-1" error.

Nope.

I may activate the satellite portion today. So far have been using it as WIFI only.

The unit is buggy seems like they rushed this thing out.

Nope.

I may activate the satellite portion today. So far have been using it as WIFI only.

The unit is buggy seems like they rushed this thing out.

Sound quality is much better over wifi than Sat and it's a pretty big difference on the music channels . I do agree with you that this is one buggy unit that I feel like I am beta testing :rant:

I have yet to see that on mine but I wish that every time that I put in the the home dock it wouldn't activate bluetooth

You kinda need Bluetooth to use the Home Dock. That's how the Lynx sends audio to it and back out the audio outputs on the dock. It's not like a traditional plug 'n play dock in that respect. The Vehicle Dock works more like units in the past.

Can you be more specific on the Bugs?
Some folks over at XMfan.com are reporting problems getting the Lynx to connect and stay synced with the home dock. I haven't experienced that, however I have noticed that when scrolling with the knob that is on the vehicle dock, I tell it to filter by favorite channels that it still throws some random ones in there that aren't in my favorites.

Last edited:
One thing the Lynx shows me is how TERRIBLE the sound quality is on XM via Satellite, the internet streaming sounds WORLDS better.

Its kind of sad that things like Tunestart only work via the Satellite Signal and not via the Internet signal, when the iphone iOS app does the tune start feature from the internet.

Personally if you have an iOS device then I wouldn't waste my money on this Lynx device.

One thing the Lynx shows me is how TERRIBLE the sound quality is on XM via Satellite, the internet streaming sounds WORLDS better.

Its kind of sad that things like Tunestart only work via the Satellite Signal and not via the Internet signal, when the iphone iOS app does the tune start feature from the internet.

Personally if you have an iOS device then I wouldn't waste my money on this Lynx device.

So I've been messing around with the device some more and from what I can tell you can replicate TuneStart over Wifi by selecting a channel and then when the song cover art and info loads, then press the rewind button and then it will take you back to the beginning of the current song. Not as nice as it happening automatically like it does over satellite but maybe it works that way because the unit is always caching up your Satellite based favorites when there's an active connection.

And I also figured out why there's the random favorite stations in my list, it's a "feature" called "Featured Favorites" ironically enough. It says it's a way to discover new music by letting them put in random channels and switch them up every so often. I turned that crap off by going in under Settings -> My Content. I also used the same menu to hide a bunch of channels I know I will never listen/subscribe to... ever. Like the Howard and sports channels.

I'm going to experiment more with ways to install it in my car, I want to try out using a Bluetooth connection to stream to my car radio and see if that improves things over the PowerConnect method. (Sadly, my car doesn't have an AUX jack.)

Last edited:
Please keep us informed on your opinion of this radio. I currently have the skydock, it works fine however the record option would be nice. Thanks!

I just got a new software update on mine. Does any one have a list of what changed in this firmware update ?

Hi Rolltide,

What's new in version 1.00.201
- Faster reconnection to SiriusXM Internet Radio after an inactivity timeout
- Enhanced captive portal network accessibility
- Improved battery life when pausing Radio Replays in handheld mode
- Remembers the last source playback after a power cycle in the Vehicle Dock
- Improved Show Finder access when not connected to Satellite or Internet Radio
- Other miscellaneous improvements

If you have any questions/comments, feel free to email us at lynxfeedback@siriusxm.com

Enjoy!

Sandy
Lynx Support Team

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)