Site issues

Ok another change. You shouldn't have to log out.

Only issue I have is I dont know is the time from the time I make a change until it takes effect due to caching..
Still busted. Would it help for me to post a page source file for one of the threads that's bad?

Attachments

• https __www.satelliteguys.us_xen_threads_i-love-this-time-of-year.63445_page-2032#post-4745648...zip
    170.4 KB · Views: 46

Ok, for YOU, even though you say you're using a test account, it appears to be working as normal. For ME and the others that have this issue, hovering over the "Like" doesn't bring up floating choices at all.

As for the reply box, that's working normal for you also, and it works for us the same way. IF we click on a "Reply" for a post above, it makes that box LIVE and typable. It's when we just go to the thread, and scroll down to that box without doing a "reply" where it's "dead". When in a working thread, it should be "alive" either way.

1668093953244.png

Primestar I am not saying its not a problem because its not happening to me. Its a problem for you and a few others and I am trying to figure out why and fix it.

Wondering if its a bad CDN connection somewhere.

What areas are you guys in? Just a general area is fine.

I really want to fix this for you guys. :D

Primestar I am not saying its not a problem because its not happening to me. Its a problem for you and a few others and I am trying to figure out why and fix it.

Wondering if its a bad CDN connection somewhere.

What areas are you guys in? Just a general area is fine.

I really want to fix this for you guys. :D
No issues, I understand completely. Just put emphasis in the post to highlight specifics and try to make them more understandable. I understand you are trying to fix it, no worries. Very odd issue, and that can't be easy when it works fine for you.

I'm located in mid-Michigan, on Charter/Spectrum internet, and it's typically grabbing an address out of Bay City since that's their "hub" for our area.

Not sure how javascript can work/not work based on whatever is going on, BUT, I believe you are correct in thinking it's a javascript issue. Perhaps somehow javascript is being blocked or turned off on certain threads/forums/posts.

Last edited:
Not sure how javascript can work/not work based on whatever is going on, BUT, I believe you are correct in thinking it's a javascript issue. Perhaps somehow javascript is being blocked or turned off on certain threads/forums/posts.
Certain things such as Javascript, Certain Images, CSS files and other static stuff are cached and served from local CDN servers that are close to you. There are CDN's all over the world. Again all static data comes from those CDN servers. If we served everything off our server the site would be dog slow. You can see all the CDN locations below. If one CDN site has issue it could cause problems. This has happened once before a few years ago, and it was a bad cache on ONE of the CDN servers.

cdn.png

I am not saying that is whats happening here... still trying to figure it out. Also trying to use a VPN so I can try things from different areas of the country to see if I can replicate the issue.

I want this fixed as bad as you guys do. :) The goal of running the site is to work for everyone. Not make it hard to use.

Some good news about this issue though is I have been making changes to some settings and that has raised our rating with GTMETRIX from a D to a B.

I will get it fixed. :D

Certain things such as Javascript, Certain Images, CSS files and other static stuff are cached and served from local CDN servers that are close to you. There are CDN's all over the world. Again all static data comes from those CDN servers. If we served everything off our server the site would be dog slow. You can see all the CDN locations below. If one CDN site has issue it could cause problems. This has happened once before a few years ago, and it was a bad cache on ONE of the CDN servers.

View attachment 159288

I am not saying that is whats happening here... still trying to figure it out. Also trying to use a VPN so I can try things from different areas of the country to see if I can replicate the issue.

I want this fixed as bad as you guys do. :) The goal of running the site is to work for everyone. Not make it hard to use.

Some good news about this issue though is I have been making changes to some settings and that has raised our rating with GTMETRIX from a D to a B.

I will get it fixed. :D
Will a Traceroute help? This ones fresh:

Attachments

• satguystracert.jpg
    satguystracert.jpg
    220 KB · Views: 35
Nope. As that is to our main server, not the CDN's.

The CDN's are cdn.satelliteguys.us and you will get a different server than someone else who is not near you.

I made some more changes so hopefully you will get a chance to report back. :D
Still not working.

Here's a Tracert to the cdn servers:

Attachments

• satguyscdn.jpg
    satguyscdn.jpg
    169.2 KB · Views: 39
Reactions: TheKrell
Ok another change made. Hopefully I am getting close. :D

Also as a test I am signing up with a different CDN provider to see if it happens there. When I do this some image files may appear broken, but it will fix itself in a few minutes.

Still not working.

Here's a Tracert to the cdn servers:
Just for comparison. I don't know if Windows has tracepath.

user@server1:~$ tracepath cdn.satelliteguys.us
1?: [LOCALHOST] pmtu 1500
1: master 0.325ms
1: master 0.357ms
2: ae31-1550.scb01-ar01.as15108.com 2.259ms
3: ae3.scb01-cr01.as15108.com 2.251ms
4: ae4.oma11-cr01.as15108.com 12.324ms asymm 7
5: omha-b1-link.ip.twelve99.net 12.075ms asymm 4
6: chi-b23-link.ip.twelve99.net 22.493ms asymm 7
7: nyk-bb2-link.ip.twelve99.net 39.762ms asymm 8
8: nyk-b8-link.ip.twelve99.net 41.322ms asymm 7
9: datacamp-ic337373-nyk-b3.ip.twelve99-cust.net 43.747ms asymm 11
10: vl204.nyc-cyx-dist-2.cdn77.com 44.546ms asymm 12
11: unn-138-199-40-58.datapacket.com 44.561ms reached
Resume: pmtu 1500 hops 11 back 13

FYI, on my iOS device, the behavior of marking the Political Forum as read goes to a new page, so swiping back requires three swipes, not one, to reach The Pub index. It’s back at this point (12:10 EST).