Six foot mesh dish --DAMAGED

Status
Please reply by conversation.

rv1pop

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Sorry, Anole, no pictures, but I spooked a doe with a fawn and the doe jumped through my 6 foot mesh dish, taking out two panels. Repairable I think.. Will have to wait. It was not the wind this time. I guess the dish was not visible! I was more worried about the doe than my dish, in fact I watched her to make sure she was OK and still taking care of the fawn. It has been two days, and I just remembered to look at the dish!

I am SO -- oh what was that word -- crazy - NO - But The Benefits of Booney living do outweigh the problems - most of the time.

Take those panels off and lay them on a concrete floor. Use a large RUBBER hammer to flatten them out and see if you can use them again. I saved one like that a few years back.

Sounds like a fish story ;)

Would some flashing lights scare them away?
Maybe some bright ribbons with sparkly reflectors, so they blow in the breeze?

What time of day did this happen?

You're gonna laugh but I piss around my Wife's flowers to keep the deer from eating them! She is looking for a squirt bottle that I can keep filled up so she can spread it around herself. Piss also keeps Raccoons from continually taking a dump on my porch too.

Yup, I live in the middle of a 10 acre wooded lot so I have my share of "critters" to deal with. Worst problem is mice as those things will completely trash a car if you leave it sitting for too long. I've got a spar parts car sitting here now that you can't stand to be around with the doors open! I keep mouse traps set inside that thing and catch one a week average but they have already done their "dirty deeds" in there enough to make it smell worse than a urinal in a pool hall!

?Supposedly you can keep dogs from dumping in your yard if you put out mothballs. There are two kinds, and you want para dichlorobenzine . Space them in a 3-foot grid, then mash 'em into the ground. No idea if it would work on other critters. But given the choice, I'd prefer to air out mothball smell from my car, than mice piss. :) ?

And as to using human urine, strong coffee and asparagus come through like gangbusters, for variety. ;)

I peed around the garden to hopefully keep the deer and rabbits away from it. Also planted some of the cats cast off fur. Didn't work. Got only 8 green bean plant survivors out of two and a half rows. Musta been a whole damn herd, as they all disappeared on one night. (~225 plants planted)
I know of someone who leaves a radio out in the garden tuned to 'talk radio'. Swears by it. (I don't want, or need, a 100ft extension cord across the lawn to wrap up every mowing session. May have to bury in a line.
Mice: Bounce dryer sheets will(should) keep them out. Replace every 6mo. (YMMV of course, you may have a 'different breed')

FaT Air;3216643 Mice: Bounce dryer sheets will(should) keep them out. [/QUOTE said:
Was told the same thing about Irish Spring soap but all the mice I've caught in that car were caught in a trap right next to that bar of soap! Honestly though, the piss does work here for the deer?? I guess we either got deer with different smellers or I'm really pungent in that area. ;)

Yep Human Piss does work for deer for sure, lots of people in this neck of the woods do it.

Twenty plus feral cats keep the mice. badgers and snake away... the white picket fence seems to keep the deer out of the garden. But this poor mama was watching her baby and did not see me coming. And I was not thinking about deer being up and around at that time of the day - not so close to the motor home anyway. Panels are now OK. One rib pair is almost back to new shape.
I am very sure this was the baby I watched being born several weeks ago, about 50 feet further south of the dish. It was not on a pole, just bunged to a tent trailer, trying to look at 99W. Momma and baby appear to being doing OK, BUT stay well away from us!

Whew, way too hot in the BARN, but I got the 72 feet of attic wall framed in, now. I have to get the sheet rock on the barn side installed (fire wall) 22 feet high! Then OSB on the inside attic (storage side) at least 4 feet high - probably 7 or 8. Then move six KU band dishes off the wall of the house and put them on the NEW 24 foot long 5 foot high fence. I am really going to have to brace it - for the wind and the weight of the dishes, but the county says I can not bury black steel pipe from the barn to the Propane tank, but I can put it on a fence! So we will have a nice picnic spot and MAYBE wind break later for C-Band dishes (no fence over 6 feet high with out a permit... measured from the high ground on one side of the fence!)

Four thirty in the afternoon and 17 deer within 100 feet of me! Am I nutz - or what? Ah, so peaceful! Wind only blowing about 18 MPH... Ya'all come by and have a cup 'o' coffee, ya'hear?

Flashing lights take POWER! Blowing ribbons would be a mile away in 24 hours. Watching the deer in the flashes from the windmills (we were 6 miles away on another road, the deer seem to walk in step to the flashes of lights! I really do no want to scare my few "friends away... (But they won't drink coffee with me.) Since the cats jumping up on the bucks backs do not scare them off - the cats like to pet themselves on the antlers (racks), I do not know what would keep them away.
Time of day -- After 40m OMISS net, so probably 8 PM.

I thought you had it made, that far from everything obnoxious. Not everything, apparently, if somebody can come along to check height on your fences, or tell you what kind of pipe you can bury in your yard!

Well, I want to get insurance on the place and to do so I have to have an inspected building. BUT, I am learning to not make the project bigger than I need to. I will get the basic done then do some remodeling... The gas pipe not to be buried changed after I got the permit - but this way I get an inspected fence on the insurance list and it will not cost me more, so better not to fight that - and on the fence is easier to build and MODIFY!
I am building a barn, not a shop or garage! I think we got that changed.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts