Skyvision DSR410 LNB issues - I'm losing my marbles!

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

trinidex

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Lifetime Supporter
Jul 16, 2004
I posted this somewhere else but didn't get anywhere, I'm starting again with more detailed information, and technical spec's.

Here is my setup:

DSR922 - Setup for Ku only
DSR410 - Ku only (well it would be!)
DMS JSC322 Twin KU LNBF L.O: 10.75GHz
6ft offset pointed at X4

The DSR922 works flawlessy on X4, it tunes to all channels I pick and displays the DC light with 99% quality

The DSR410 does not work properly on X4, it only seems to pickup one polarity - Horiz_Left

When I originally connected it and tuned to 204 for subbing, I had a strength of 20% and the dish light remained red. I switched to 205 and got 96% and a green dish light.

It turns out 204 is Vert_Right and 205 is Horiz_Left

I originally bought 2 DSR410 so I got the second one out and hooked it up and it does exactly the same thing!

The LNBF is brand new, I just replaced one I'd been using for a couple of years. I hooked it back up and the DSR922 works great, the DSR410 does not.

Can anyone shed light on why this is happening, or what I can do to fix it - am I using the wrong LNBF for this receiver?

Thank you in advance for your time & suggestions - I need 'em!

is there a way in setup to set it to ku lnbf maybe it set only to ku lnb ( which it would try to use servo to change the polarity)

Hmmm interesting thought gabshere, I haven't seen one, but that doesn't mean there isn't one! I will check it out - thanks!

Are these DSR410s from Skyvision? Only those will map in for SRL on X4. With that asked...Has the software gone from 0098 to 0114? When these boxes arrive from Skyvision they have had a factory reset that wipes everything. What channels does it have so far? They appear in my experience to need to be "hit" by the provider before they will accept mapping. Try channel 205 to see if you get a green light.

Do you have a single output Ku-band LNBF with 10750 MHz local oscillator?
If so, swap it out and see if things change with the DSR-410.

Or if you have not done so already, remove the connection to your 922
and connect only the DSR-410 to same LNBF port. There's always the
possibility that your LNBF may not be voltage switching on both ports.
If the 410 is connected identically as the 922, this would prove whether
the problem is in the other port of the LNBF, or the 410 itself.

Normally there should not be any problems with a new LNBF, but I have
had intermittent issues on some older models that Pansat once released,
and those were determined to be from a bad batch. Replacements work
just fine...but if this is the only LNBF that you have used, a second opinion
should point the finger towards the problem.

Yes these are Skyvision DSR410 units - 205 gives me a green light, 204 doesn't

Skyvision say it has to be 204 to get a hit, is there a chance it will work on 205?

Can't see an option for the LNB type (LNBf or LNB)

I don't have a single output LNBF, so I disconnected the 922 and connected the 410 as the only receiver (no switches) to the LNBF but nothing changed.

I disconnected the LNBF and measured the voltage on the receiver LNB port and I'm getting:

12.89VDC for Vert/Right (Ch. 204)
17.76VDC for Hori/Leftm (Ch. 205)

which would appear to be correct.

I'm going to try and measure the voltage at the dish end, with the LNBF attached and see if the power is holding steady.

Righto...done some more digging.

First off a correction... I cannot get a green light for 205, it is red.

I do get a green light on 285, which is Vertical polarity, the same as 204 - odd.

I checked the frequencies for the channels using the Diag screens:

204 is 1030.000 - V/R
205 is 1050.000 - H/L
285 is 1089.000 - V/R

I measured the voltage at the dish side, I'm getting an increased reading of 0.02 volts - nothing to write home about I don't think.

So I'm wondering if it could be the cable???

I'm using Belden RG59/U 75Ohm 20AWG

anyone have thoughts on this/the best cable to use?

Thanks!

I'm using Belden RG59/U 75Ohm 20AWG
oops! You should at least be using RG6... probably quadshield. How long is your cable? RG59 may be okay for a short run, but I wouldn't bother with 59. RG6 with compression fittings on the end is pretty much the standard recommendation.

The length is in excess of 100ft - too long I'm guessing!

Off to find some RG6 cable.

Thanks!

Yeah, I wouldn't do rg59 for 100ft. I'd look for some good quality RG6 with some good quality compression fittings on the ends.

If you can get a green light and good signal on some channel use that one. Until this unit maps in, the channel numbers mean nothing. Look to see if EMM provider 4160 is received. That's that correct one. You may also see 4096 and 2, they are not correct but will also show up. Try to get a hit when you have that green light on, chances are, it will work.

I would think if the cable was a problem, the 922 would have troubles with the same setup. Although, I know that some connectors have a loose fit with RG-59 cable due to the smaller gauge wire. Definitely use RG-6 quad shield. Careful with the terminals there isn't a stray shield braid shorting it.

I replaced the cable with some RG6 (labelled DirecTV) and new shiney compression connectors and....still the same problem.

I tried a 6ft drop cable from the LNB to the receiver (outside) - same problem.

Tried another LNB - same problem.

What I don't understand is why the DSR922 works just fine, and the DSR410 doesn't work - wacky!

Tune to what channel you can get a signal on. Go into the setup menu and get to the screen below. In the yellow box type in 4160. If that's good try to get it hit there. Read some of the other threads here on this topic.

Attachments

• 410.jpg
    410.jpg
    38.3 KB · Views: 226
Right then...I got 204, and I got a hit, and I've got *some* channels.

I ended up passing the LNB thru a Pansat 3500 into the DSR410 and bingo-bango green satellite light!

I'm thinking I should get a software update, in the status it says there is one (target version).

Do I need to turn the DSR off to get updates?
Where are the updates coming in from - same as 204?

Thanks guys!

I don't have a 410, but if it's like the 920 in the Menu's, you go into Options, 6 - Change System Settings, 4 - Change Installation Settings, 2 - Change Dish Settings, and 2 - LNB Type: for ku only and Voltage Switched, look for "Ku-Band LNBF", for C/KU and Voltage Switched, look for "C-Band and Ku-Band LNBFs". By Voltage Switched I mean an LNBF (vertical=13 volts, horizontal=18 volts) is being used. Good Luck!

Al

When looped through your pansat, your pansat controls the voltage which controls the polarity. Could it be possible you need to rotate your LNBF 90 deg. to interchange the horizontal and vertical polarites?
The 920/921 has a box to change the polarities electronically. (rotate LNB 90 deg) The 922 probably has this as well. I do not remember seeing a selection for this in the 400 series units. (but might be wrong) With the StarChoice boxes, the 921 needs the reverse polarities option selected, but the 400 series boxes has no box to change it. You need to rotate the LNBF 90 deg. physically to do this.

There is a selection on the 410 to select left or right polarity from menu 6-0.

Don't see that on my unit!

Menu 6-0 gives me:
1. Installation Type
2. Display Virtual Channel Maps
3. List Carrier Definition
4. List Modulation Mode
5. Diagnostic Data

Okay....okay... I feel like a complete newb!

It appears as though I need to rotate my LNB 90 degrees.

Using Option-6-7-7-8-1 (Manual Tune) I changed the polarity and hit "Tune" - and it works.

I can't believe I missed this, I'm *sure* I checked this - obviously not eh!?

So does anyone know of an option in the 410 to rotate the LNB instead of me rotating it on the dish? - my LNB is not in a collar, rather it is bolted onto the end of the arm (hangs head in shame)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts