Skyvision side-blinded us

Status
Please reply by conversation.

cocosolo

Original poster
May 11, 2008
Just about the time we had forgotten and forgiven, Skyvision side-blinded us.

It hasn't even been 5 months since we bought a 410 GI receiver and a (JS851c11) 33 inch dish. We also paid in advance for a year of basic 410 package. Now, out of the clear sky, we get told by George A Bell (programing) we are about to loose our service all together.

We never had any advise, letters, notes, emails or warning from Skyvision itself. The word is that Skyvision has known since January they could no longer support their packages with the dishes they were selling.

The list of problems began with the first receiver Skyvision sent us, it was a defective one. Within a week we found the LNBF was bad as well. In both returns, we lost the shipping costs. For all practical purposes, the dish was the only part of this system that was good... until now.

Skyvision thinks we are supposed to believe the corporate story (lie) about them having no previous knowledge of satellite' signal changes until recently. At this point "Skyvision friendly representatives." are stone-walling us.

I have been emailing Skyvision asking them replace my dish, since they have a year contract with us. No negotiating except buying even more equipment.

I'm a novice at "do it yourself satellite stuff" and obviously a naive one. Anyone have any comments or advice.

In the mean time... I am moving forward to learn free-to-air satellite reception. Thanks!

My first experience buying Satellite equipment was from Skyvision. My 8.5 Mesh I recently tore down was a Skyvision. I never had any issues with anything purchased from them. I recently however noticed their prices are a bit high.

Concerning your programming issues. I think if your prepaid they should refund the part they can't provide.

Ooops. I did have a big issue. I bought 150 feet of 2 RG6 with extra wire for the motor a few years back and after I burried it in the ground (thinking this was brand new cable) and hooked it up. Then I couldn't get a certain channel. I called about it and they knew part of their supplies were defective but just didn't know which ones. I just got a bad batch. They replaced it however they should have thrown it all out and sent stuff they knew worked. I had to pull up all the wire and the redo it. Later I finally put it in a plastic tube under the ground so it could be replaced easy. :)

Sadoun is my new equipment supplier. :)

Last edited:
welcome :wave I moved this to the C-band area as that is where alot of the 410 info is

Just about the time we had forgotten and forgiven, Skyvision side-blinded us.

It hasn't even been 5 months since we bought a 410 GI receiver and a (JS851c11) 33 inch dish. We also paid in advance for a year of basic 410 package. Now, out of the clear sky, we get told by George A Bell (programing) we are about to loose our service all together.

We never had any advise, letters, notes, emails or warning from Skyvision itself. The word is that Skyvision has known since January they could no longer support their packages with the dishes they were selling.
I'll try to explain it. Skyvision didnt lose the service. Comcast, who provided the "Hits2Home" package is the one changing it. H2H is mainly designed for smaller cable companies to upgrade their programming by using the smaller dish. Skyvision just hopped on that bandwagon. Then Comcast decided to move it to the C-Band platform (105W) which would help with rain fade and also to consolidate everything to one satellite

The list of problems began with the first receiver Skyvision sent us, it was a defective one. Within a week we found the LNBF was bad as well. In both returns, we lost the shipping costs. For all practical purposes, the dish was the only part of this system that was good... until now.

Skyvision thinks we are supposed to believe the corporate story (lie) about them having no previous knowledge of satellite' signal changes until recently. At this point "Skyvision friendly representatives." are stone-walling us.
February is when the change was public knowledge. They said June was the day X4 (the smaller dish) would be dropped.

I have been emailing Skyvision asking them replace my dish, since they have a year contract with us. No negotiating except buying even more equipment.

I'm a novice at "do it yourself satellite stuff" and obviously a naive one. Anyone have any comments or advice.

In the mean time... I am moving forward to learn free-to-air satellite reception. Thanks!
you've come to the right place for FTA :) But check out the C-Band area in regards to the info on the 410 and the changes.

There has been a lot of info even on the NPS - Your One Call Solution - CBAND Satellite Programming C-band website. It is purely comcast who did the changeover. Skyvision just sells comcast's HITS channesl (headend in the sky) to dsr-410 customers. Its a good system with cheap subscription rates.

It was at the time a cool small dish alternative to tv subscription without the contract obligation to the pizza dish people.

I feel your pain since most of us want everything to be "trouble free".

You could always have "trouble free" by signing a 12 month contract with a pizza dish provider and letting them bring you a couple of cheap receivers and a cheap little dish that charges your in excess of 70.00 dollars per month depending on your package, additional receivers, and their little fees.

I think it would be worth while for you to just get a 6 foot dish with a c-band lnbf.
Even factoring in the cost of the dish (additional equipment), you will still come out ahead of the alternatives.

C-band will not rainfade nearly as quick as the ku band pizza dishes.
When it is pouring outside you can be comfy on your lazyboy watching your favorite shows.

This dish will work. http://sadoun.com/Sat/Products/Fortec-Star/Dishes/FS6P-180P-CM-C-Ku-Prime-Focus-Dish-Polar-Mount.htm

or get on Ebay and buy one with a c band lnbf.
That is the route I would take.

skyvision system

You could actually depending on how much you like the satellite hobby go for the 6 foot dish with the polar mount that uses a motor to move from satellite to satellite. Add a good free to air receiver to your system and expand you available channels tremendously.

I like my pansat 9200 HD. An HD fta receiver is the way to go now.

Use a V-box to move your dish (controls the motor).

You would enjoy interesting channels from different satellites in addition to your skyvision package and 410 receiver.

Thank you all for the response. You are all nice to help me. I was like I said, naive and even more so, old fashioned: I believed I had contract with a Skyvision for what they promised to deliver... at least for a year!
Thank you again.
PS: We had the pizza dish guys for way too long once... gross stuff!

I would seriously consider the 6 foot dish. Honestly it will pay for itself in no time.
The HITS feeds have good picture resolution too. Probably better than the pizza dish's standard def.

We can help you get the 6 footer aimed if you have trouble.

Good morning satelistas, Thank you.
I'm doing first things first. Going to try to teach myself this stuff from the bottom. Aiming a satellite by ear first. I'd like to buy an inexpensive sound meter. Any suggestions?

I would seriously consider the 6 foot dish. Honestly it will pay for itself in no time.
The HITS feeds have good picture resolution too. Probably better than the pizza dish's standard def.

We can help you get the 6 footer aimed if you have trouble.

I'll second getting the 6 footer. The HITS feeds are better than PIZZA SD lite. The masters are very close to or as good as HD lite.

Rather than trying a sound meter, I suggest taking your receiver and a small TV to your Dish and following the instructions you will find all over this forum. I bought a reasonably priced meter and tried using that, but it was ok for finding the FIRST bird, but from then on, I was better off without it. After finding the first one, I started moving a bit (1/8th inch on pole) in the direction I needed to go, then blinded scanned again to see where I was. Then tune in better, then move again and repeat till I got to where I wanted. After a little practice I got so I could find G25 in less than 15 minutes regardless of where I was, from Seattle to Orlando,FL; Macon, GA; Springfield, MO in a ravine; and Newark, TX in an open field!
ENJOY!

The cheap meters that hook in the LNB line are usually to broadbanded, even though they will show signal it could be showing you anything including thermal noise. Your better off to get your static angles preset and use the quality meter in the digital receiver to tune into the signal and peak it. The only tool better than that is a spectrum analyzer

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts