SL 3 LNB KA Band + FTA receiver in europe

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

nolipa

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Mar 30, 2012
europe
In europe, we have got a few satellites using KA-Band ,but at the
moment are only some irish FTA programmes receiveable.
To increase the bandwith in KA-Band another Lnb is
needed.
The SL3 would be ideal (and cheap)to get the lower band.
The question is now:How to control these lnbs with an Openbox or
Azbox FTA receiver?
I find alot of informations of the Swm or the 4-port version,but i
come not clear.
A BBC is neccessary and also 13/18V/22khz,what else?
Maybe someone can detailed explain me,which signals
choose the bands/satellites?
Thanks!

120 views and nobody can help?
Nobody tested this yet or is Directv the only one,who is using Ka-Transponder in NA?

In europe ,we have more than 5 Satellites,which have KA downlink transponders.
But you have no really chances to discover.
500Mhz bandwith of the inverto consumer KA lnb is
to small for.

I am not unaware of any TV or Radio services using KA band for distribution in North America other than DirecTV. Per hobbyists request we have added LO 18050 on the GEOSATpro microHD to support KA high band. I recently ordered a B-Band adapter as an experiment with the DirecTV KA LNBFs. This B-Band adapter reassigns the KA low band from 250 -750MHz to 1650-2150 so a standard DVBS2 receiver can tune.

I might have mis-read, but I thought that the KA signals in Europe were all single polarity circular left and high band KA. If so, the DirecTV KA should work. Why not use the Inverto "White"?

The protocol is simple for a DVBS2 STB with the B-Band adapter for all frequencies to fall between 950 and 2150MHz IF:
22KHz Off= KU circular 101w & KA 99w
22KHz On = KU 110/119 & KA 103w

I can help. I have used DirecTV LNB in Ireland. I understand how it works and I have an adapter to allow it to work on low band. I can send LNB from Ireland to you. Please PM me. I also have an adapter to upconvert the LNB from low frequency to normal satellite frequency.

I also have made an adapter to allow it to mount on a European dish. I can send more info later. I will try PM you

I am not allowed to send links to my information.

The B- band converter needs to be modified for use in Europe. It needs to be soldered so it is on 100% of the time. I have done this and it works.

SL3

Parameter
Ku, 101°
Ka, 99° / 103°
Input Frequency
Ku, 101° :
101°: 12.2 ~ 12.7 GHz
Ka, 99°/103°:
Ka-Lo: 18.3 ~ 18.8 GHz
Ka-Hi: 19.7 ~ 20.2 GHz
Output Frequency
Ku, 101° :
101°: 950 ~ 1450 MHz
Ka, 99°/103°:
Ka-Lo: 18.3 ~ 18.8 GHz
Ka-Hi: 19.7 ~ 20.2 GHz
Polarization
RHCP / LHCP

We are using a unit which looks like a single LNB but is used to pick up 3 different positions in the Sky (in the USA)

US Ka: 18.3GHz – 18.8GHz and 19.7GHz – 20.2GHz
DrTV SL3 (for 99WKa, 101WKu, 103WKa)
13V = Right 18V = Left ---> Use 18V for LHCP
The Ka LNBs convert the downlink signal to a low frequency range of 250 MHz to 750Mhz and a high frequency range of 1650 MHz to 2150 MHZ.

99, 101 and 103 degrees is 3 in 1 LNB, so NO KA on centre LNB as 101 satellite is not KA.

103 and 99 are KA (in the USA)

18V no tone for Ka band 99 WEST(right hole), (Ku band 101 WEST LHCP 101 West is in centre\not used )

18V 22Khz for Ka band 103 WEST (103 West is to the left of hole in centre), Ku band 110/119 WEST LHCP (not fitted)

Ka Lo: 250-750MHz (left or right hole depending on 22Khz tone)
Ku: 950-1450MHz (centre hole)
Ka Hi: 1660-2150MHz (left or right hole depending on 22Khz tone)

The current Ku Band downlink signals are from 12.2 GHz to 12.7. LO is 11.25GHz
13V=RHCP and 18V = LHCP (No use in Ireland)

The new Ka Band downlink frequency is from 18.3GHz – 18.8GHz and 19.7GHz – 20.2GHz
(LO 18.050 approx)

So it will appear 1.66-2.15Ghz which relates to 17.7-20.2Ghz with a voltage of 18V applied

KA Low appears from 250-750Mhz.(18.3GHz – 18.8GHz) To see these you need a B band Converter. I have these. They need to be modified to be switched on all the time. I have done this and I have modified two, and I have more that can be modified if needed. The B band upconverter upconverts this so a normal European receiver will work. Then no tone is needed. The 22Khz tone selects which hole on the LNB (which position in the Sky) is used. This depends on where your LNB is mounted.

18V Selects LHCP, while 13V selects RHCP (This is the opposite to the European LNB)

For best results you need a matching DirecTV dish and arm from the USA as mounting is un usual. I made a modified mounting and it works OK.

Last edited:
Do NOT order a SWM version (these often have green labels) The LNB MUST have 4 'F' connectors, A SWM model does not work the same and European receivers cannot work with these.

KA Low appears from 250-750Mhz.(18.3GHz – 18.8GHz) To see these you need a B band Converter. I have these. They need to be modified to be switched on all the time. I have done this and I have modified two, and I have more that can be modified if needed. The B band upconverter upconverts this so a normal European receiver will work.

So the only modification that you are making to the SUP-2400 is to bypass the requirement for 22khz tone to be ON?

The modification is TOP SECRET

Only kidding, here it is:

M0DTS.CO.UK

Please follow the laternative modification near the end of the page. note this modification is done for another reason. For Satellite TV use, please do not remove the inductor shown in the first step. This is the black metal item. with wire wrapped around it. Leave it untouched. If you do then this will stop power going to the LNB!!. So please do not remove this item.

I can modify more for people if needed.

If you have a computer based system you can send non standard DiSEqc command E20300 for on
E20200 for off. It's called "peripheral equipment on" and it is done by DirecTV receivers and some satellite finders. My modification turns it on all the time. Most non computer system cannot send special commands.

Last edited:
So the only modification that you are making to the SUP-2400 is to bypass the requirement for 22khz tone to be ON?

No. The continous 22Khz tone is different. The BBC uses a special command to turn it on when needed. It ignores a continous tone. As shown above the 22Khz tone does a different job

Below correct:
E20300 for on
E20200 for off

FRAMING P ADDRESS P COMMAND P
E2 03 00
11100010 1 00000011 1 00000000 1

P is odd parity bit

A zero is 1mS on 0.5mS off
A '1' is 0.5mS on 1mS off (see page 9 of bus spec)

1.5mS total time for one bit
12.5/9
6mS of silence at the end (min)
#

250-750MHz BBC upconverter Local Oscillator is 2400Mhz

This means
250 --> (2400-250) = 2150Mhz (which equates to 18.3)
750 --> (2400-750) = 1650Mhz (which equates to 18.8 GHz)

You could just run a blind scan on a receiver. However if you want an exact frequency display then (if possible) set up a custom LNB with a local osciallator of 20.450Ghz with inversion. This should allow your receiver to display the correct frequency.

If using a spectrum analyser put it between the receiver and the BBC, not between the BBC and the LNB.

You will need to remove the BBC to receive the high band.

Now I have a question, what is broadcast on 18.3 to 18.8 in Europe???????????? Please help

Last edited:
I purchased a two SUP-2400 B-Band convertors a few weeks ago and have been snooping KA low band for 10 - 15 minutes. See many signals on the spectrum analyzer, but haven't spent anytime seeing what is open to receive.

An interesting band to explore when I have some free time!

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 3)