Small Hotel System Technical Info Request

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Danarchy66

Original poster
Dec 15, 2010
Boston
I am going to survey a +/- 35 room hotel in a remote area, and only know that the owner wants set top boxes in the rooms. It will likely be an SD install. Assuming the coaxial distribution system is rated for satellite use, and pulls back to a single equipment room or wiring closet, what equipment would you recommend? Is there a site where I can find wiring diagrams for these types of systems?
Thanks for your help!

You probably should just call DirecTV and speak to somebody in the department that deals with commercial accounts. (not sure what it's actually called)

You probably should just call DirecTV and speak to somebody in the department that deals with commercial accounts. (not sure what it's actually called)

Thanks, but if I chose that option, I would not have posted here. I am looking for ideas from knowledgeable installers who may give me options the DirecTV would not. I would like to spec the equipment, minus the receivers.

If it's going to be an SD only system, either do a stacked system with a receiver in each room or build a SMATV system. A headend with receivers and modulators for each channel they decide they want on the system. If there's going to be HD, then a COM1000 system is what you would need.

The least expensive by far would be a stacked system. Plus, the guests would be able to watch whatever channel they want as long as it is in the programming package the property owner pays for.

A SWM32 will operate 32 receivers, you can add past that as needed. You could also use a series of SWM 16 or SWM8 switches.
Simple D12 receivers will work fine for SD individual room setups.
http://www.solidsignal.com/pview.as...ganic&utm_source=google_base_02_Multiswitches

You will probably end up dealing with their comercial department anyway if you want to activate 36 receivers. Ask them for a quote, it may be less than buying the equipment to do it yourself.

Well since the OP says it's "in a remote area", are we all SURE it's in the Boston local channel DMA?
If it's in an MPEG4 only local market, then D12 receivers will NOT work for the local channels...

Once you take alook I'm sure you will find no home runs just a single wire split to each room or worse a looped system. Stacked systems are cheap up front but every month you will have missing remotes and boxes. Snatching head end wild be your best bet . Many suppliers other then dis still have gear to do it along with preassembled systems . Also the cost for guest systems is priced on drops and pkgs .

Well since the OP says it's "in a remote area", are we all SURE it's in the Boston local channel DMA?
If it's in an MPEG4 only local market, then D12 receivers will NOT work for the local channels...

unless he is in Springfield area the 2 markets near his location (Boston and Providence) are able to use SD receivers
Boston is on 101
Providence is 119

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)