Smoking Meat?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Anyone with a favored ABT recipe, I'm all ears. Right now, some rub, maybe a little shallot in the cream cheese, and half a slice of bacon. Store only had thin, no thick. Oh, well.

Thin bacon actually works better for ABTs. Since its a fairly short cook time, the thin bacon can render better and get crispier. When I make ABTs, I buy the cheapest, thinnest bacon available.

I like using breakfast patty/ground sausage in my ABTs (Jimmy Dean Natural, homemade, whatever).

Eat your heart out!
;) :oldwink
IMG_2348.JPG

You can see the sage under the skin.

IMG_2347.JPG

IMG_2349.JPG

Reactions: wa6rht
Thin bacon actually works better for ABTs. Since its a fairly short cook time, the thin bacon can render better and get crispier. When I make ABTs, I buy the cheapest, thinnest bacon available.

I like using breakfast patty/ground sausage in my ABTs (Jimmy Dean Natural, homemade, whatever).

I tried your suggestion and put a little Bob Evans in each. Came out nice. Flying ABTs.

Thank you. Too bad our guests were running late and showed up almost two hours after the food was done. I liketa cried, microwaving that chicken.

Posted Via The FREE SatelliteGuys Reader App using an iPhone.

Thank you. Too bad our guests were running late and showed up almost two hours after the food was done. I liketa cried, microwaving that chicken.

Ugh! It would have been better at room temp.

Has anyone ever set up a smoker to cook all day while you're away at work? How well did it work out?

Has anyone ever set up a smoker to cook all day while you're away at work? How well did it work out?

I usually cook briskets and butts over night so they are ready to come off mid afternoon to rest. Always works great. Starting early morning could work for an evening meal. For something like ribs which cook a lot faster I don't think so. Haven't smoked poultry in years so I'm not sure about the timing on that.

Sent from my iPad Air using Tapatalk

I have done this a few times but use a temperature controller to help. I have yet to have any of my cooks be something that I am disappointed in.

Next time that happens wrap your meat in foil and then towels. After that put it in a cooler and you are good for quite some time. I put pork shoulders in the cooler and after 4 hours they are still to hot to handle. The meat is just as moist as it would be after just removing it from the smoker.

Reactions: navychop
Good idea. I'll try to remember it.

We have folks coming over today. Ran a 10lb butt yesterday, new recipe so I could repeat a different one today if it didn't work out. Will reheat in a crock pot today. Smoking 8 lbs ribs and 2 7.3 lb roasters from Perdue right now. Pot luck for everything else.

And oh yes- 36 ABTs. :D

Created 3 flavors of jerky today. We did peppered, peppered ghost pepper and teriyaki. Took a total of 8 hours at 160 degrees. Tried the peppered and ghost pepper ones and they are pretty good. The ghost pepper has heat that sneaks up on you after you finish.

Attachments

• IMG_20141026_175353.jpg
    IMG_20141026_175353.jpg
    836.4 KB · Views: 183
These only had them in the marinade. They were not as hot as you would think with the name. I also won't eat one on its own but using a little in food is actually pretty good and you can control the heat with the amount that is used.

4 1/2 pounds of beef out on the smoker for some jerky today. Today will be a spicy jalapeño, teriyaki and just some with Montreal steak seasoning and crushed red pepper.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Latest posts