Snagged that Spun Aluminum BUD!!

Status
Please reply by conversation.

FTABman0

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
May 13, 2006
Lat 39.2°N WV Lo 81.5°W
3rd dish find from last week is mine! Anole, looks like the spun aluminum one is mine as well! I just came back from town and bumped into the guy that owns this dish! He said that it was mine if I wanted it. He told me that it had a hand crank :eek:, but he said that everything for it is in the garage right down to the receiver, LNB arms and all the trimmings! I guess if it could be hand cranked it does have some kind of polar mount on it. Wonder if it can be outfitted with a Actuator of some sort?

It was too dark to go down and look at it though so I will get a good look at it soon with pictures! He said it was his dad’s old system and it has been propped on the old out shed for a number of years! Great find! I have been looking at this possible grab for the last year or so, never could find anyone home when I did stop to ask. Fate I would say since Saturday I posted the pictures of it and tonight I run into the guy! The guy said that they been wanting to get rid of it for years.

Then he just gives the thing away! The dude has no idea how big it is and is illiterate with satellite stuff. I will take time out of my day in the morning to see the goodies that is with it and a tape measure for sure! Will keep you guys posted! :up

B-Man

Attachments

• 1.JPG
    1.JPG
    506.3 KB · Views: 283
  • S6308545.JPG
    S6308545.JPG
    409.9 KB · Views: 249
  • S6308546.JPG
    S6308546.JPG
    179.5 KB · Views: 247
  • FTABman0_Avitar.gif
    FTABman0_Avitar.gif
    2.7 KB · Views: 450
On your next post, get us some pix of the accessories.
Perhaps you can find a name plate on it.
Also, throw a tape across the dish so we know the actual size.

You might give it the string test.
Just to make sure standing up all those years didn't deform it.

Looks like a winner to me. :D

Went down tonight to see this dish for information but nobody was home. Took a tape measure with me and it is a 7 ½ inch diameter! The dish looks to be in great shape, was painted white though. No name found anyplace or nameplate could be found. Part of the mount was beside of the dish as you can see in the pictures. Part of this outbuilding was open where you can look in and found the old LNB or LNA. I will head down again sometime this week for another look! Keep you posted!!

FTABman0_Avitar.gif

Attachments

• S6308585.JPG
    S6308585.JPG
    669.1 KB · Views: 269
  • S6308584.JPG
    S6308584.JPG
    554.2 KB · Views: 257
  • S6308583.JPG
    S6308583.JPG
    488 KB · Views: 255
  • S6308582.JPG
    S6308582.JPG
    440.5 KB · Views: 214
  • S6308581.JPG
    S6308581.JPG
    513.3 KB · Views: 230
  • S6308580.JPG
    S6308580.JPG
    665.9 KB · Views: 233
  • S6308579.JPG
    S6308579.JPG
    650.6 KB · Views: 218
Yea, that's been out of service for quite a while! :)

You might want to recheck your last post and correct the dish size.
But if it's 7½ feet diameter, then that building it's up against must be a kid's play house! :rolleyes:

Also, it looks like a button-hook feed.
The extra holes in the center of the dish support that thought, as does the feedhorn assembly.

The four marks on the back of the dish, which we thought were the LNB support struts, are actually for the mount.

Anole,
We measured it right, it is only 7 ½ footer. That building is small, not quite a kid’s size building but smaller than mine and I got lofts in mine! When we stood up by it the gutters were about nose height on that side that the dish is leaning up against. I am 5 foot 9 but so about right plus the tape does not lie. That side is a meg shift lean-to. The picture shows where I MS Painted the actual building and where it starts.

Free means I will take it, being kinda real old is it really worth the take? Being kinda new to C-Band Anole, don't laugh too hard when I ask what is a button-hook feed? The way it mounts on the support arms?

Hey, if you don't ask you never learn! :)

The dish looks like a newer style but the mounts for what I have seen look very old like the start of the C-Band era. I will get a chance to get it sometime this weekend so I will post the goodies it came with and better pictures of it and the mount when I get it over here in FTAbman0Ville! Check back when I post the progress!

Kevin

FTABman0_Avitar.gif

Attachments

• 7 ½ footer.JPG
    7 ½ footer.JPG
    47.1 KB · Views: 249
Without any info to the contrary, I'd take it. - :up
"Free" is a hard price to beat, so long as it doesn't cost you too much to put it back into service.

Buttonhook feed is a single shaft sticking out from the middle of the dish, with the feedhorn mounted to it.
I might be wrong, but the holes drilled in the very center of the dish suggest that is what it came with.

Now that I have the two of them, FREE what one would you put up and run? The first find 10 foot or the one in this post? Bigger is better but I was going to get the Father N Law started in this hobby and he wants one.

I still have not went out and looked at the 8 or 10 foot UNIMESH dish yet he found last week that was going to the scrap yard. He is not sure of the size. So it looks like I am at a moral dilemma, which one to keep and put back into service?

I am sure if I look every weekend I can start a whole new dish farm out here. Seems like the old buds are everyplace for the taking, I know where there is a 12 footer and a 4DTV set up that one guy does not use anymore. They are everywhere!

Anole I will keep ya posted on this 7 footer! Thanks for your help so far!

Kevin

FTABman0_Avitar.gif

I thought that was a 10 or 12 footer lol, that little building really fooled me. But still I think it
would be a good project dish, restore and explore!

I thought that was a 10 or 12 footer lol, that little building really fooled me. But still I think it
would be a good project dish, restore and explore!

turbo, does look larger, only measured a little over 71/2 foot. Had been painted as you can see in the pictures so that will come off. I think I will get the 10 footer up and going first though for my first bud project! I think the possibilities on that one first will be the easiest one for a first bud install by me. :)

My father n law just put up a brand new Geosatpro 2.4 Meter Prime Focus 8 FT Dish last weekend; I helped put that monster together! First new help install for a bud for me but I mostly helped out and observed mostly! Learned a bit though and that is what I wanted! He is an old C-Band veteran and has sub to 4DTV stuff for years. His old 9 foot was a mesh style and it was on its last leg with years of hail damage and neglect! I am going to send the Installation guide list for that dish on the manuals side of the forums tonight if I remember to send the email.

But can't wait to do one all by myself, it is another feeling than just watching someone put one up! Geting that 10 footer this weekend here, and I will post the process on it! I know if I run into problems you guys will be here to put me straight on what I am doing wrong! The best part of being a member here on the Sat Guys!

But free, yes the spun aluminum 7 footer will have a good home here; we will find a good use for it even if it points stationary! I really can't wait to get started, I bought 2 of those Geosat GEOSATpro C2 LNB's off of SatelliteAV and patiently waiting for the PM telling me they are in! Thanks for the advice, always appreciated from all you guys!

ftabman0_avitar-cordoba.gif

The LNA pictured is actually an LNC...it's a Dexcel that had a single conversion downconverter built into the LNA. It's of no use with today's equipment. The feedhorn appears to be a Chaparral Polorotor II which had a small DC motor controlling the probe.

The LNA pictured is actually an LNC...it's a Dexcel that had a single conversion downconverter built into the LNA. It's of no use with today's equipment. The feedhorn appears to be a Chaparral Polorotor II which had a small DC motor controlling the probe.

DING DING DING! "Tell him what he has won Johnny"!

It is a Chaparral Polorotor II AC! Nothing get's by you guys! One reason I love this site! Very knowledgeable Members! :up

Got the receiver tonight for the 10ft bud, posted pictures here AC!

B~Man
ftabman0_avitar-cordoba.gif

Last edited:
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)