So what the hell is going on???? re olympic feed

I'm seeing the opening ceremonies all over again on 3.1 yet on cable NBC, they are playing the events as scheduled. gee-sh This setup by NBC is very hard to figure out. At least this is running for two weeks. By then I should have it figured out.

In Pittsburgh and my NBC OTA just replays the opening ceremonies. The other three special channels - just blank. Not only is there no HD action available - but they've basically killed my NBC channel. Thanks alot, voom.

LuRcH1080i said:
This is BullSh** my local NBC HD OTA has just fed me the Open Ceremonies constantly over and over..WTF!! Are they doing? I cannot watch the Olympics at ALL. PG says Swimming, Volley Ball , etc... Should be on. In my area I do not recieve the extra channels. This is SAD Voom.:mad:

don't blame voom, except maybe for wrong guide info. it's known for weeks that nbc will delay the hd feed 24hr except for the ceremonies.

Why does everyone keep blaming VOOM for all this olympic drama? VOOM is not NBC, they have no control over what NBC decides to do or broadcasts. If you are like me and your local NBC does not even broadcast in HD but they won't authorize VOOM to carry your market then we are just out of luck. Now you can say DirecTV does this or Dish is doing that, that is all great, but I don't have those services I have VOOM. Nobody made VOOM decide to carry the olympics, their is no law that said they had too, but they are providing a service to their customers who are fortunate enough to live in a O&O market (which I do not). I was upset at first that I cannot receive the VOOM HD feed, but I got over it because their is nothing I can do about it. I never blamed VOOM for that, I blame NBC. It is the same thing with all this programming craziness, VOOM does not control it. They even sent out letters and emails to everyone trying to explain all this, I just don't see why when something is not right people just automatically assume VOOM is behind it (those bastards :rolleyes: ). So just be happy you can watch any kind of olympics while I sit here and look at the "Call to Subscribe" screen.

kaw

btw, on d* and e* the hd feed apparently didn't start til 1am. voom's started at 6pm eastern, right? either voom got a special deal or they jumped the gun.

Well Said ...........
Cannot understand that if I pay for a subscription whhy shouldn't I get the feed, instead NBC is to decide that I can get the feed from my local provider ? The surrounding hill in my area block me from getting any signal so I am screwed not matter what. I missed the opening ceromonies in HD and now I am missing most of the coverage overall. THIS SUCKS! .............. Enough of this syndication Bullsh!t and let viewers get the channels they PAY FOR ...........

barth2k said:
btw, on d* and e* the hd feed apparently didn't start til 1am. voom's started at 6pm eastern, right? either voom got a special deal or they jumped the gun.

No,it was on at the right time,it was on E* early,running promo stuff as early as the day before and I live in a non O & O area(Detroit),the basic reason it is on D* and E* is they asked for the ok to show it in the non O & O areas,Voom did not,or did not know they could.

Bikemen said:
Well Said ...........
Cannot understand that if I pay for a subscription whhy shouldn't I get the feed, instead NBC is to decide that I can get the feed from my local provider ? The surrounding hill in my area block me from getting any signal so I am screwed not matter what. I missed the opening ceromonies in HD and now I am missing most of the coverage overall. THIS SUCKS! .............. Enough of this syndication Bullsh!t and let viewers get the channels they PAY FOR ...........

Again,it is Voom,not NBC,It is on D* and E* everywhere,Voom made a booboo :rolleyes:

People can say it is VOOM till they are blue in the face but the fact is NBC will not let you view it unless your local channel is owned by NBC. Do you really think VOOM would just screw half it's subscribers for the hell of it, they are following the guidelines layed down to them. If it was as easy as asking NBC if it was okay to broadcast to everyone I think they would have done it. Local stations not owned by NBC are a**holes, they would rather you not watch it at all than not watch their station and ads. I may be wrong, but that is the way I see it.

kaw

bruce said:
Again,it is Voom,not NBC,It is on D* and E* everywhere,Voom made a booboo :rolleyes:

Well I have Dish Network also and happy to say it's blacked out for me. So, your wrong. Not a Voom problem.

It is an NBC and local station problem. NBC requested a special waiver from the FCC for all their affiliates to replace the regular digital feed with a special HD feed and it was granted. However, it did not say anything about alternate satellite delivery. The choice was upto the local stations. There are many NBC markets, not must O&O's, who are allowing VOOM and the others to carry the special feed. I don't know how that happens but it is the truth. Pittsburgh, Youngtown Toledo are not NBC O&O's. and they are allowed to carry VOOM, DISH and DIRECT.

Well you havn't missed much so far
http://ominous.freewebspace.com/ol1.jpg http://ominous.freewebspace.com/ol2.jpg http://ominous.freewebspace.com/ol3.jpg http://ominous.freewebspace.com/ol4.jpg http://ominous.freewebspace.com/ol5.jpg http://ominous.freewebspace.com/ol6.jpg http://ominous.freewebspace.com/ol7.jpg http://ominous.freewebspace.com/ol8.jpg

Just make your screen saver these pictures and look at it all day long, and there you have NBCs HD coverage since last night....and a comercial about watching the game in high def.

*these images have been reduced in size to 720p size for storage reasons.

This is why I think it is Voom,from the Local HD Detroit Forum at Avs:
Posted by rollerfink on 8-12
It looks like Voom subs in Detroit might not get it. I think we'll have to wait and see but judging by e-mails that went out today I don't think we will get the extra Olympic channels.
Second Post-Today by rollerfink
So Detroit Voomers are out of luck. All we get is the HD delayed feed on NBC and none of the additional Olympic channels. So no live SD coverage and no regular NBC programming during the Olympics.
Our only options are to either convince the local NBC to show their SD feed on one of the subchannels or to try splitting our OTA cable and connecting one directly to the TV to see if that works. Maybe I'll go that route.

But by others posting there that have D* and E* they(we) are getting it on the sat.
I doubt the FCC would only say only D* and E*,that makes no sense
my area is not O&O but it is D* and E* but not V*

bruce said:
This is why I think it is Voom,from the Local HD Detroit Forum at Avs:
Posted by rollerfink on 8-12
It looks like Voom subs in Detroit might not get it. I think we'll have to wait and see but judging by e-mails that went out today I don't think we will get the extra Olympic channels.
Second Post-Today by rollerfink
So Detroit Voomers are out of luck. All we get is the HD delayed feed on NBC and none of the additional Olympic channels. So no live SD coverage and no regular NBC programming during the Olympics.
Our only options are to either convince the local NBC to show their SD feed on one of the subchannels or to try splitting our OTA cable and connecting one directly to the TV to see if that works. Maybe I'll go that route.

But by others posting there that have D* and E* they(we) are getting it on the sat.
I doubt the FCC would only say only D* and E*,that makes no sense
my area is not O&O but it is D* and E* but not V*

Link?

Jerry

I found the list at DBSForums who are allowed to get it
http://www.dbsforums.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?threadid=37886

You do not have to be in an O&O city to get the HD feed of the olympics.
The following DMAs are eligable for the HD Feed:

Alpena, MI
Columbus, OH
Jackson, MS
Mobile, AL
Pensacola, AL
Richmond-Petersburg, VA
Atlanta, GA
Dallas-Ft. Worth, TX
Jacksonville, FL
Nashville, TN
Sacramento-Stockton-Modesto, CA
Augusta, GA
Denver, CO
Kansas City, MO
New Orleans, LA
San Antonio, TX
Baltimore, MD
Des Moines-Ames, IA
Knoxville, TN
New York, NY
San Diego, CA
Bangor, ME
Detroit, MI
Lafayette, IN
Oklahoma City, OK
San Francisco-Oakland-San Jose, CA
Birmingham, AL
Evansville, IN
Lake Charles, LA
Orlando-Daytona Beach-Melbourne, FL
Seattle-Tacoma, WA
Boston, MA
Flint-Saginaw-Bay City, MI
Lansing, MI
Ottumwa, IA
St. Joseph, MO
Buffalo, NY
Fresno-Visalia, CA
Las Vegas, NV
Parkersburg, WV
St. Louis, MO
Cedar Rapids, IA
Grand Rapids-Kalamazoo-Battle Creek, MI
Los Angeles, CA
Peoria, IL
Syracuse, NY
Charlotte, NC
Green Bay-Appleton, WI
Louisville, KY
Philadelphia, PA
Tri-Cities, TN-VA
Chattanooga,TN
Greensboro-High Point-Winston Salem, NC
Macon, GA
Phoenix, AZ
Tulsa, OK
Chicago, IL
Greenville-New Bern-Washington, SC
Madison, WI
Pittsburgh, PA
Waco-Temple-Bryan, TX
Cincinnati, OH
Harrisburg-Lancaster-Lebanon-York, PA
Mankato, MN
Portland, OR
Washington, D.C. (Hagerstown, MD)
Cleveland-Akron (Canton), OH
Hartford & New Haven, CT
Miami-Ft. Lauderdale, FL
Portland-Auburn, ME
West Palm Beach-Ft. Pierce, FL
Columbia, SC
Houston, TX
Milwaukee, WI
Providence-New Bedford, RI
Youngstown, OH
Columbus, GA
Indianapolis, IN
Minneapolis-St. Paul, MN
Raleigh-Durham, NC

bruce said:
I found the list at DBSForums who are allowed to get it
http://www.dbsforums.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?threadid=37886

You do not have to be in an O&O city to get the HD feed of the olympics.
The following DMAs are eligable for the HD Feed:

Alpena, MI
Columbus, OH
Jackson, MS
Mobile, AL
Pensacola, AL
Richmond-Petersburg, VA
Atlanta, GA
Dallas-Ft. Worth, TX
Jacksonville, FL
Nashville, TN
Sacramento-Stockton-Modesto, CA
Augusta, GA
Denver, CO
Kansas City, MO
New Orleans, LA
San Antonio, TX
Baltimore, MD
Des Moines-Ames, IA
Knoxville, TN
New York, NY
San Diego, CA
Bangor, ME
Detroit, MI
Lafayette, IN
Oklahoma City, OK
San Francisco-Oakland-San Jose, CA
Birmingham, AL
Evansville, IN
Lake Charles, LA
Orlando-Daytona Beach-Melbourne, FL
Seattle-Tacoma, WA
Boston, MA
Flint-Saginaw-Bay City, MI
Lansing, MI
Ottumwa, IA
St. Joseph, MO
Buffalo, NY
Fresno-Visalia, CA
Las Vegas, NV
Parkersburg, WV
St. Louis, MO
Cedar Rapids, IA
Grand Rapids-Kalamazoo-Battle Creek, MI
Los Angeles, CA
Peoria, IL
Syracuse, NY
Charlotte, NC
Green Bay-Appleton, WI
Louisville, KY
Philadelphia, PA
Tri-Cities, TN-VA
Chattanooga,TN
Greensboro-High Point-Winston Salem, NC
Macon, GA
Phoenix, AZ
Tulsa, OK
Chicago, IL
Greenville-New Bern-Washington, SC
Madison, WI
Pittsburgh, PA
Waco-Temple-Bryan, TX
Cincinnati, OH
Harrisburg-Lancaster-Lebanon-York, PA
Mankato, MN
Portland, OR
Washington, D.C. (Hagerstown, MD)
Cleveland-Akron (Canton), OH
Hartford & New Haven, CT
Miami-Ft. Lauderdale, FL
Portland-Auburn, ME
West Palm Beach-Ft. Pierce, FL
Columbia, SC
Houston, TX
Milwaukee, WI
Providence-New Bedford, RI
Youngstown, OH
Columbus, GA
Indianapolis, IN
Minneapolis-St. Paul, MN
Raleigh-Durham, NC

you are comparing apples to oranges... that list came from Dish... Voom and Directv list is O&O markets only.

Jerry

Bruce:

Are you watching it on D* or E*? If so that's great. If you are able to received the HD signal from your local NBC station that's what you get. Did you receive a letter from Voom? This is what is says:

"If you are a Voom customer who CAN receive the digital signal of NBC via your off-air antenna, the following will apply to your program schedule for the duration of the Olympics: Your NBC digital off-air will be converted to a special, high-definition broadcast of the 2004 summer olympics. You will only receive delayed Olympic highlights in high-definition for the duration of the Olympics. The decision by NBC to make this programming change will cause you to be unable to view live Olympic coverage and regularly scheduled programming from NBC During the Olympics. The regular NBC programming schedule will return on August 31, 2004."

It's pretty clear to me. So, I guess it's Voom fault that your local station does not broadcast sub channels! I'm not trying to start a pissing contest here. It looks to me that Voom is doing the right thing.

Regards

jawilljr said:
you are comparing apples to oranges... that list came from Dish... Voom and Directv list is O&O markets only.

Jerry

Then why are D* subs getting it in my area,not O&O

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts