So whos NOT getting a Hopper due to lack of OTA?

Why do you need OTA support when you have 3 tuners and can record the entire block of prime time shows?

archer75 said:
Why do you need OTA support when you have 3 tuners and can record the entire block of prime time shows?

I think folks like the access of other channels avaiable with ota

Why we need OTA support

Two words: rain fade
One more word: subchannels
An acronym: HD (where Dish doesn't have it)
Another acronym: PQ (where Dish does have the sat HD)
A word and an acronym: alternate DMAs

Last edited:
That plus the fact not all of us have all our locals in HD, so OTA is the only way to get them. I could care less about most of the OTA subchannels I get, but I require OTA for my local PBS and CW in HD.

We have a new ota station in our area that is a perfect example of why I want ota on the Hopper /Joey system. It is called Metv. It shows all kinds of shows I grew up on including :Love American Style, Brady Bunch,Star Trek,Lost in Space,Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea, That Girl, Laverne & Shirley,Happy Days, Mary Tyler Moore show, Dick Van Dyke, Bonanza ,Daniel Boone, etc.... On Saturday nights they show Svengolia Horror movie of the week. This week we watched Bud Abbot and Lou Costello meets the Killer with Boris Karloff. I haven't seen that movie since I was a boy in St.Louis. This channel reminds me of Channel 30 uhf in St.Louis that showed many of these same shows . The picture quality is EXCELLENT and looks better than some hd local channels I get from DISH. Uncompressed and vivid. Some of these shows look as good as if made today. We even had a Davy Jones Tribute weekend with all the shows he was on back then . I couldn't get any of this from DISH ,but using my ota dual tuner on my 722k I recorded all I wanted and watched yesterday when nothing else was on. I only hope that they make the new ota tuner on the hopper/joey system a dual tuner so we can still use ota as we want to. Besides the great addition of this channel, I have access to emergency weather conditions when the satellite goes out in inclement weather. A thing that happens in hurricanes , tornadoes etc.

Two words: rain fade
One more word: subchannels
An acronym: HD (where Dish doesn't have it)
Another acronym: PQ (where Dish does have the sat HD)

I love it. Concise, to the point, and covers the matter.

My wife was gobsmacked when I showed her the PQ of The Amish from OTA PBS HD as compared to other Dish HD programming.

We have a new ota station in our area that is a perfect example of why I want ota on the Hopper /Joey system. It is called Metv. It shows all kinds of shows I grew up on including :Love American Style, Brady Bunch,Star Trek,Lost in Space,Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea, That Girl, Laverne & Shirley,Happy Days, Mary Tyler Moore show, Dick Van Dyke, Bonanza ,Daniel Boone, etc.... On Saturday nights they show Svengolia Horror movie of the week. This week we watched Bud Abbot and Lou Costello meets the Killer with Boris Karloff. I haven't seen that movie since I was a boy in St.Louis. This channel reminds me of Channel 30 uhf in St.Louis that showed many of these same shows . The picture quality is EXCELLENT and looks better than some hd local channels I get from DISH. Uncompressed and vivid. Some of these shows look as good as if made today. We even had a Davy Jones Tribute weekend with all the shows he was on back then . I couldn't get any of this from DISH ,but using my ota dual tuner on my 722k I recorded all I wanted and watched yesterday when nothing else was on. I only hope that they make the new ota tuner on the hopper/joey system a dual tuner so we can still use ota as we want to. Besides the great addition of this channel, I have access to emergency weather conditions when the satellite goes out in inclement weather. A thing that happens in hurricanes , tornadoes etc.

Yep, I record three shows a night on MeTV...Peter Gunn, Combat, Twelve O'clock High and all the Sunday night noir.

I live between Miami and West Palm Beach. I am able to receive channels from both cities OTA, but only Miami channels via satellite.

The ability to receive a 2nd cities channels. Perfect example. Our local PBS station is in the middle of a begathon. The 2nd PBS station iso in a pledge drive, but instead of a long begathon insert, they just put on the screen "please join us, it's been 4 years since did a pledge break" and seconds later the special resumes. Plus they carry shows our local PBS doesn't. And as others have stated, subchannels. And when the local network station may put up a local special programming, the distant one may not.

I won't be upgrading to the Hopper/Joey combination until there is OTA support--preferably two OTA tuner support. With my current 722/622, I have two OTA tuners for PBS and CW, locals from nearby cities, and for network shows when I'm already recording on both sat tuners. I would like to retain that number. By "upgrading," I'd already be losing a satellite tuner, so I'd prefer not to lose any OTA tuners. The PTAT feature would make up nicely, I think, for the loss of a sat tuner, but I won't happily change receivers and get less than I have now, especially for more money.

I would enjoy the whole home aspect very much, as I often will record the same material on both receivers to cover that now. However, it's a no-go for me without OTA.

No go for me without OTA - two tuner OTA at that. And I am really tiring of Dish, to be honest (after more than 10 years). My 622 feels ancient and no new HD channels in what seems like forever. If UVerse was a little cheaper and supported more HD streams, I would be in that forum now instead of this one.

No go for me without OTA - two tuner OTA at that. And I am really tiring of Dish, to be honest (after more than 10 years). My 622 feels ancient and no new HD channels in what seems like forever. If UVerse was a little cheaper and supported more HD streams, I would be in that forum now instead of this one.

What new HD are you looking for that isn't carried by Dish?

Is there any prediction as to when the OTA add-on would be available? Dish hasn't had the best track record in delivering on certain features/hardware (e.g. Sling extender, 222 hard drive capability, etc). I'd hate to upgrade with expectation that OTA was on its way, only to wait several years and/or never get OTA.

Summer.

I think this one, and seamless integration, are safe bets. As to the ViP222 and EHD, I believe the company never stated it was coming, except for a casual comment by Charlie Ergen. Sadly, not the most reliable source. But he sure knew how to build a company.

You'd be back as soon as you saw Uverse PQ.

Do we know if and when OTA is supported, will it ADD a tuner, or use one of the three, a la Directv (of their 5)?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)