So whos NOT getting a Hopper due to lack of OTA?

Maybe they will mention an update on OTA on Monday when I hope they also announce an AMC deal. Then I could sign up that same day.

I would sign up that day too. I am concerned that we have no real info as to when it's going to be released. I wonder if it will be by the end of the year.

pparry said:
I would sign up that day too. I am concerned that we have no real info as to when it's going to be released. I wonder if it will be by the end of the year.

Again we don't know. It's out of their control.

It could be next week, next month or next year.

I can say when it's ready to go... It will be ready to go.

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

I have been with Dish for 12 of the 14 years since i left Comcast Cable. Those 2 years were with Direct tv,which had inferior remotes and a little higher monthly fees-but over all a good experience. I renewed my contract with Dish on day one of Hopper release-trusting their promise of OTA in a reasonable period of time. At the very least they should tell us what the dealay is (FCC?). I can't see why that info would endanger our national security. I am looking into the Genie over at D . If they buy out my remaining contract,Im' gone. Im' just tired of the secrets that should be made available to the subscriber.

I renewed my contract with Dish on day one of Hopper release-trusting their promise of OTA in a reasonable period of time.

There has never been anything even remotely close to a "promise" on an OTA timeline.

There has never been anything even remotely close to a "promise" on an OTA timeline.

Not anything official enough to make some of you happy. Just pictures of the adapter and mentions at Team Summit. And Scott saying that they were targeting the end of summer. It's real enough, but for whatever reason it's being held up. Maybe they are waiting to see how the legal battle with the networks will pan out. The clamoring for a press release from Dish though, it unrealistic. Why say date, but not have it pan out? That will just make people even more pissed of. Damned if you do, damned if you don't.

I wouldn't bet on even a press release from Dish themselves even meaning much...
Some people might think that because it's "in writing" (and rest assured, they'll save a copy of the press-release to their computer !!), that Dish HAS to do it. Just as you point out, the local feeds for TWC were "in writing" as well and how's that working ? Oh wait, we do get a pop-up now that overlay 90s-era graphics for our regional weather. It is NOT "local" by any stretch !

I don't see that people would be more unhappy than they already are if a press release was issued that stated that: OTA is still planned; the reason for current delay; and estimated release date. If the release date is delayed further it is easy to follow up with another release explaining new reason for delay. I can't understand their current unwillingness to release info about a planned future product. Most companies try to release bits of info prior to release to generate interest in the coming product. If the FCC or patent office is still working on it, they can let us know that.

I would think from a MARKETING standpoint if Dish were to put something in writing like Coming soon, or soon pending FCC or Patent approval, or what ever the reason.

More new Customers that are waiting on OTA would switch to Dish, knowing it is coming and when.

For now all we have from Dish directly is some guy on Video at CES saying it is coming this summer and that is well past due. Yes I know we have Scotts info but that is not from Dish directly it is a He said He said, its not official.

No info in writing makes some think something is wrong or to not trust Dish as they are being secretive about it and have something to hide. Maybe the "J" month really is January 2013

No info in writing makes some think something is wrong or to not trust Dish as they are being secretive about it and have something to hide. Maybe the "J" month really is January 2013

I can wait until then- that's less than 2 1/2 months from now. They should release an estimated shipping date. I'm more worried that it might be even later than Jan 2013.

More new Customers that are waiting on OTA would switch to Dish, knowing it is coming and when.
Then if they miss the date all those folks will feel cheated, complain Dish broke their "promise" and they were duped into switching to Dish. Dish is damned if they do and damned if they don't. Keeping their mouth shut is the safest option. Knowing why their is a delay would be noce though.

For now all we have from Dish directly is some guy on Video at CES saying it is coming this summer and that is well past due.
If you are talking about the interview with Vivek, he never gave any indication of when it would be released, he said there would be a module and "I don't have a date on it right now."

dontpanic said:
So you're saying that the average customer does care about OTA, because there is room to care less?

Really? Is it worth calling someone out over a typo in a common expression? The point he was trying to make is that the average customer doesn't know about, let alone use and have a deep and abiding interest in OTA reception via their Dish boxes.

It's important to a small, but vocal minority of users, but it's unlikely to be an issue that drives massive churn or that materially impacts the company's stock price (someone mentioned that earlier in the thread). This is a forum of very knowledgable users, our interests and demands do not necessarily reflect those of the general population overall.

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

Last edited:
Until DISH can carry all the various sub channels that many ota stations have, then ota will still be necessary. Besides there are areas where some people live close enough to both dmas , that they can get both cities locals . One over satellite and one over the air. So being able to have ota is nice to have for those subs. Same for those who "move" to get two different cities locals. Not to mention that the first thing goes out in a bad rain storm is satellite. So for bad weather situations like Tornadoes, Hurricanes etc, ota is essential.

Until DISH can carry all the various sub channels that many ota stations have, then ota will still be necessary. ... Not to mention that the first thing goes out in a bad rain storm is satellite. So for bad weather situations like Tornadoes, Hurricanes etc, ota is essential.
According to the FCC (http://dtv.gov/dtv_stats.htm?l=EN), very few people, based on total percentage of TV viewers, feel that it is "necessary". Only 11% of households bother with OTA reception.... Pffft, I thought it was actually higher than that too !

So you're saying that the average customer does care about OTA, because there is room to care less?

Really? Is it worth calling someone out over a typo in a common expression?
Yes. It is.
Of course we all knew what he meant. It doesn't make his wording any less incorrect. And, if enough people would point out when people incorrectly use the language, perhaps it will happen less often in the future.

Yes. It is.
Of course we all knew what he meant. It doesn't make his wording any less incorrect. And, if enough people would point out when people incorrectly use the language, perhaps it will happen less often in the future.
Actually, the proper usage is "could care less", because if he couldn't care less, he wouldn't even bother to type it/say it. :p :D

Actually, the proper usage is "could care less", because if he couldn't care less, he wouldn't even bother to type it/say it. :p :D
At this point in the conversation I am reminded of a particular scene in the feature film section of Kentucky Fried Movie, "A Fist Full of Yen" where Dr. Klan explains about the arrangement of his prisoners.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h1WZ6a6YYJg

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)