Scott Greczkowski

Welcome HOME!
Original poster
Staff member
HERE TO HELP YOU!
Cutting Edge
Sep 7, 2003
Newington, CT
Sorry for the short notice, but in a few moments the site will be unavailable for a few minutes for a software update.

It should only be a few moments. :) (Fingers crossed)

This update patches a few things.

No rest for the weary. :D

Part of this update allows us some exciting new features for our style system. Up until now when a new version came out in order to take advantage of all the changes our styles needed to be updated. To update the style I would need to install a new style and then make all our changes based on that style. In many cases these style update messed up things and I needed to redo everything by hand.

With the new software and another update I will be applying today this is no longer an issue, when there is a change instead of updating the entire style now only the templates that have been changed will be updated. And because of this I can save the old template first, apply that template update and depending on the change the update will merge with our changes in place or I will just have to apply the change after that template is updated. It will no longer wipe everything out like has happened in the past.

This new update also offers many improvements and fixes and I am told that the java changes cause an increase of speed on mobile devices by up to 50% and desktop devices by 30%. Anytime we can speed up the system is a great thing from my eyes. :) (Note for the classic style, since that is not updated by Xenforo with each update, I will still go through that style and apply the changes needed to give that style all the new features as I have time.) :)

For the SatelliteGuys Default and Dark styles here is a list of the changes and whats new. I will start with the SatelliteGuys Dark style first and make sure all is ok before I move to the SatelliteGuys Default style. If you have any issues during this time please switch temporarily to one of the other styles. :)

First of all, a huge apology for the delay. We of course don't generally take this long in between updates, but since 1.4.3 didn't require any template fixes that merging didn't resolve, we figured we'd spend all our focus on optimizing and improving the already powerful UI.X Framework. We realize that a lot of you have been waiting for work from us, upgrades, etc. But we set a goal for ourselves and we needed to reach it. I'd say we far exceeded that goal.

We also asked a few of you to help beta test this framework, which has now gained recognition from some of the largest XenForo installations around and it is a huge honor. So we needed to make sure that this worked on the largest of XenForo boards as clean and fast as possible, and I can honestly say we did just that. Thank you to the beta testers, and this release has passed their inspection.

In fact the largest XenForo board will be running UI.X in January.

So as usual I'm just going to regurgitate some of the focal points that we emphasized on, but naturally we fixed a lot of minor things as well, so if you have questions about any of those feel free to post it in the thread.

• XenForo Media Gallery fixes including toolbar icon
  • Alignment of the quick reply editor in some areas, such as XMG and a few plugins should be resolved
  • We widened the main user dropdown menu so it looks a little cleaner now and less cramped
  • Moved the contents of uix_adStyler_variables to a style property (really this just fixes that outdated template issue some of you may have, just annoying I guess)
  • You can now set a height just for tablinks when navigation is sticky
  • You can now disable tablinks when navigation is sticky for a cleaner interface
  • We added a post pagination option, mainly useful when you have navigation sticky -- this allows you to jump to posts within a thread
  • We added a variable to allow you to collapse the sidebar at any viewport width, useful if your iPad or tablet landscape views are a bit cluttered. You can also always collapse the sidebar, useful if you never went a sidebar on any pages.
  • When the navigation small logo shows/hides we rerun XenForo's repsonsive nav functionality which should fix the visitor tabs and search from dropping under the navigation sometimes
  • Fixed the ordered list icon in the toolbar to be a numbered icon
  • Welcome block button has a min-width of 75% now, just looks cleaner on mobile and more like a button
  • Jump to bottom and jump to top JS has been improved
  • You can stack the jump to top and jump to bottom fixed icons now in case you didn't like them side by side in the last release
  • Node icons as glyphs no longer have that background issue
  • The fixed jump to top/button delayed hide setting is now fully functional -- it will get out of your way now if its not being used and you are not scrolling
  • The resource manager filter dropdown no longer collides with the tabs (this is a bug in XenForo but we added some code to fix it on UIX)
  • A new sticky navigation 'style' so to speak, which makes the sticky nav only work on scroll up which is more like how a lot of apps behave
  • Node collapse issue where node 11 would collapse node 111 for example has been fixed (finally, sorry :p)
  • iOS flickering issue
  • Major JS optimizations
Thanks for allowing us to continue making SatelliteGuys better for you! :)

Reactions: TheKrell
Ok the Dark styles have been updated. Took a bit because the first upgrade created new Dark Styles which I didn't want (as then I would need to recreate everything again.) but with one click of a box that I didn't check the first time that problem was fixed. :)

It cleaned up the look a bit took which I am happy about. :D

Please let me know if you see anything strange. :)

PS I will be starting the upgrade on the SatelliteGuys Default style in just a bit.

I don't see icons (or they're plainer than normal) in 1.4.2 as before. Is that the Default style you are about to update?

No so far only updated the Dark style. Haven't touched anything else yet.

I am still doing some tweaking to the dark style to make it easier on the eyes and speed up loading at the same time.

Ok I am done tweaking the dark styles and am happy with them, they are now much easier on the eye. :)

I will start with the SatelliteGuys Default look shortly. Again if there are issues during the upgrade please switch to another style as I work to update it and also make it more eye friendly as well. :)

New default layout is not iPhone Safari friendly. The menu bar stays locked at top of screen (in horizontal mode fills 1/2 of screen) and no longer displays forum navigation. Guess I need to investigate the forum reader apps?
image.jpg

Looks like stuck CSS on your browser. Press and Hold Control while clicking Refresh, that should make it refresh.

I will also be clearing the cache of our CDN servers so it the CSS is stuck out there it will get updated too. :)

Just finalizing a few things but almost done. :)

Both of you are using IE 11.

I just tested in IE 11 and am seeing the same as well. Working fine in Chrome, Firefox and Safari.

Investigating.

Reactions: Dah-Henny
New default layout is not iPhone Safari friendly. The menu bar stays locked at top of screen (in horizontal mode fills 1/2 of screen) and no longer displays forum navigation. Guess I need to investigate the forum reader apps?
View attachment 105110

Brian I haven't even started tweaking yet for the mobile side of things, however I do notice a new selection in the setting which is...

• Disable Sticky Elements in iOS Third Party Browsers
Due to a limitation imposed by Apple, third party browsers do not allow javascript updates to the DOM during a scroll. This setting will override existing sticky settings and force disable sticky for non-safari iOS browsers.

I have just turned that off, please let me know if it made a difference.

If not please let me know what style you are using. Thanks!

Ok I have created a new style called TESTING - UI.X Default Style.

This is the default style with the default settings.

I have tested it with IE 11 and am still seeing the same issue with the words going off the screen. So it is a bug and I have submitted a ticket.

Use the SatelliteGuys Classic Style for the moment until that is resolved.

Hey hey hey! The satellite thread icons are back. Thanks Scott.

<sigh> Win a few and lose a few. Now my menu bar is no longer sticky. :(

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)