Software Version 6.16

I noticed if you hit record on a show and the option is defaulted to "stop recording manually". So it will just record and record if you hit REC and then ok. Guess they designed it for VCR users.

I was doing this a lot until I actually noticed what the default option text was that I was clicking on. Since I noticed it, I haven't had this happen again, so I'm guessing it was user error. :)

I noticed if you hit record on a show and the option is defaulted to "stop recording manually". So it will just record and record if you hit REC and then ok. Guess they designed it for VCR users.

That's what I did once (and only once) a long time ago. In the morning, it was still recording and I went and stopped it. I've never made that mistake again since...felt like an idiot... ;)

Agreed 100% The sound blip is so bad on recorded shows off our local ABC station that we cann't watch them. DISH has one month to get this fixed, as our 2 yr contract expires in Feb. Either this problem gets fixed or we are gone!

I got myself a shiny rew rcvr for xmas that does dynamic volume to fix the stupidly loud volume of the commercials.. the sound blips send this rcvr off the deep end... what was just annoying before is now totally un-watchable... no idea why this isn't being rolled out to our whole area in central NC

Looks like there is one other piece that tagged along with L616...you have to have that in order to participate in the SlingGuide (remote scheduling) beta. Saw another post where Dish had confirmed this. With L616, I was able to connect to the beta.

Dish needs to get their head out of their a%*. Can't believe the problems I've had in the 1.5 years since I started. L615 on my 722 has done nothing to address audio dropouts. L616 doesn't seem to address anything.

My 2nd TV is on its 4th receiver and the 612 they installed reboots all the time. Like last night in the middle of the OK FLA game. UNBELIEVABLE!

I work with several people with Dave and none experience problems like this.

Looks like L6.16 is now rolling out by receiver numbers. My lowest number 622 now is has it. My other 2 do not.

Here's a clue to Dish Network Engineering,

Can we please get the pop-up message we used to get asking if we want it to install the software update? Pleeeeeeaaaase. I don't want to be a guinea pig for you, I'm not a beta tester for you so please give me the option to NOT install your beta software updates.

Thanks.

Back in the day Dish used to have an option for updates.

You could opt out of optional updates but Dish could override with a forced update.

Problem is that you would be supporting multiple software revisions.

Its a catch 22

Back in the day Dish used to have an option for updates.

You could opt out of optional updates but Dish could override with a forced update.

Problem is that you would be supporting multiple software revisions.

Its a catch 22

I remember they had this option before and that's why I suggested it. It's easy once they know for sure that the update is working they can force it to the receivers. They've done it before why can't they do it now.

I'm not a beta tester for you so please give me the option to NOT install your beta software updates.
We need to thank Dish's current group of beta testers for the top-notch job they've been doing, eh ? :D

I've come to the conclusion that their testers, at least the non-employee testers, fear turning in negative reports thinking they'll be dropped from the group.

We need to thank Dish's current group of beta testers for the top-notch job they've been doing, eh ? :D

I've come to the conclusion that their testers, at least the non-employee testers, fear turning in negative reports thinking they'll be dropped from the group.

Regardless of that, it baffles my mind how they broke the audio in 614 (613 was fine? I didn't have trouble until ~Sept) and couldn't roll back whatever part of the software was responsible....

My 622 has 6.16, I will check my 722 later. Haven't heard any audio dropouts yet, will have to keep my ear tuned for it. It was getting pretty bad on the 622, especially since it goes through the Yamaha for all sound. I don't know when it downloaded.

I tested both recorded and paused live local HD last night (01/08) and didn't hear any audio drop-outs on my 622 with L616...

Noticed something weird with 6.16...I decided to record episodes 69-73 of BSG on UniHD (ch 366) airing this Sunday night/Monday morning (midnight - 4am EST) in advance of the BSG 'premier' next Friday. I also have a standing 'new episodes' timer set for the past couple of years on SciFi for BSG.

My 622 chose to skip the five 'once' timers I set up yesterday for episodes 69-73 because it said they were duplicates of other timers for these same 5 episodes airing on SciFi next Friday. Well, I had not set up these 5 episodes to record on SciFi, yet my 622 has marked all those BSG episodes airing most of the day next Friday on SciFi as 'skip', since they are not new episodes (as part of my standing BSG SciFi timer).

The net seems to be that both of my 622s are skipping discreet 'once' recordings based off the separate standing BSG 'new episodes' but 'skipped' recordings timer.

If you set timers for any of the BSG episodes on UniHD for this Sunday, you'll probably want to check to make sure that they are actually set to record, since mine def were not, until i 'restored' them.

I dont recall this ever happening before...

Yet another day of "audio dropout" issues on my local channels like ABC and Fox. I still haven't gotten the L6.16 download to even try it! :mad:

Dish Network better get my VIP722 box fixed VERY SOON or I am going to switch to some other company's service just as soon as I can. Competition IS coming to my area of Raleigh, NC. I love it. :)

AT&T launches U-verse in N. Carolina and Florida | HD-Report

https://uversecentral1.att.com/uvp/home/explore

Competition fixes a lot of things when it comes to getting reliable, cutting edge technology, good customer service, good pricing, etc. Time Warner Cable and Dish Network better get their "stuff" together .... FAST. :D

I am going to put my name in this "Contact Me" webpage to let me know when I can get the service going in my home.

AT&T U-verse

• 100% digital TV picture and sound with over 85 HD channels and growing
    • An HD-ready receiver at no extra cost
    • More DVR storage than cable - up to 133 hours of standard or 37 hours of HD shows
    • Record up to 4 shows at once on a single DVR
  • Total Home DVR - Record on 1 DVR. Play on any TV in your home
  • Reliable High-speed Internet with wireless home networking
    • Speeds up to 18.0 Mbps downstream
  • Simple, hassle free and guaranteed satisfaction
    • No contract required
    • Professional installation included
    • 30 day money back guarantee

Can we please get the pop-up message we used to get asking if we want it to install the software update? Pleeeeeeaaaase. I don't want to be a guinea pig for you, I'm not a beta tester for you so please give me the option to NOT install your beta software updates.

Thanks.

You know the funny part is, I am a beta tester for DTVpal dvr and it gives us a option of whether we want to download the new software available, when connected through ethernet.:D

I dont recall this ever happening before...

I posted about this sort of thing months ago to warn people.

But threads like that quickly get pushed off the front page by dozens of threads like:

- " Is Dish Going Out of Business? "

- " I Want Voom Back "

- " Poll: Do You Want More ? "

- " I am Thinking of Dropping Dish "

- " I am Thinking of Having Lunch "

and on and on. :rolleyes:

The main problem is that yoiu can create a timer which is not going to work, and the 622/722 will not pop up a warning. When the timer will conflict with another timer, it will pop up a warning, but will not pop up a warning for any other reason for not firing.

When a big HD movie is premiered, I often want to record two copies to archive to two external drives, in case one drive dies. When you create the second timer, it will not pop up a warning, but you still have to go into the schedule and restore the second one, otherwise it won't record due to "duplicate".

Basically, you need to check the Schedule at least every day. If the name of a show is changed, the timer won't fire. For example, if you record the " Noon News with Fred Smith " every day, and Fred retires, and they change the name to " Noon News with Joe Jones ", the timer won't fire and you'll need to create a new timer. You have to check the Schedule to catch these things...

I posted about this sort of thing months ago to warn people.

But threads like that quickly get pushed off the front page by dozens of threads like:

- " Is Dish Going Out of Business? "

- " I Want Voom Back "

- " Poll: Do You Want More ? "

- " I am Thinking of Dropping Dish "

- " I am Thinking of Having Lunch "

and on and on. :rolleyes:

The main problem is that yoiu can create a timer which is not going to work, and the 622/722 will not pop up a warning. When the timer will conflict with another timer, it will pop up a warning, but will not pop up a warning for any other reason for not firing.

When a big HD movie is premiered, I often want to record two copies to archive to two external drives, in case one drive dies. When you create the second timer, it will not pop up a warning, but you still have to go into the schedule and restore the second one, otherwise it won't record due to "duplicate".

Basically, you need to check the Schedule at least every day. If the name of a show is changed, the timer won't fire. For example, if you record the " Noon News with Fred Smith " every day, and Fred retires, and they change the name to " Noon News with Joe Jones ", the timer won't fire and you'll need to create a new timer. You have to check the Schedule to catch these things...
Yeah, the type of situation you outlined I'm aware of, and I correct for that all the time. What happened yesterday seems different in that I had not set timers for the airings of episodes 69-73 at all. It wasnt like I was trying to record them twice. When I reviewed the guide, my 622 indicated that it had skipped my new timers on UniHD because these episodes were already set to record on SciFi, when in fact, they were not set to record on SciFi, they were set to skip on SciFi. Anyway, not wanting to belabor this further, I just havent seen a timer not record because it was a duplicate of a SKIPPED event, even though this may, apparently, be an existing issue.

Actually that was what I posted about - it came up during theOlympics. Timers would be skipped because they were pre-empted by the Olympics, yet they still count as a duplicate of something else, etc. Some of the stuff gets quite complicated.

I did manage to get a report on it to Engineering, but it seems clear that they are busier with other DVR issues...

Um....that's how name based recording is supposed to work. :D:D In your example you need to create a time based recording timer.

Yet another day of "audio dropout" issues on my local channels like ABC and Fox. I still haven't gotten the L6.16 download to even try it! :mad:

Dish Network better get my VIP722 box fixed VERY SOON or I am going to switch to some other company's service just as soon as I can. Competition IS coming to my area of Raleigh, NC. I love it. :)

AT&T launches U-verse in N. Carolina and Florida | HD-Report

https://uversecentral1.att.com/uvp/home/explore

Competition fixes a lot of things when it comes to getting reliable, cutting edge technology, good customer service, good pricing, etc. Time Warner Cable and Dish Network better get their "stuff" together .... FAST. :D

I am going to put my name in this "Contact Me" webpage to let me know when I can get the service going in my home.

AT&T U-verse

• 100% digital TV picture and sound with over 85 HD channels and growing
    • An HD-ready receiver at no extra cost
    • More DVR storage than cable - up to 133 hours of standard or 37 hours of HD shows
    • Record up to 4 shows at once on a single DVR
  • Total Home DVR - Record on 1 DVR. Play on any TV in your home
  • Reliable High-speed Internet with wireless home networking
    • Speeds up to 18.0 Mbps downstream
  • Simple, hassle free and guaranteed satisfaction
    • No contract required
    • Professional installation included
    • 30 day money back guarantee

And all of that is negated by the horrible quality of their HD picture...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)