Software Version S342 is here

So after watching on the updated HWS last night, all I can tell so far is that it "feels" faster than the other HWS that is still on previous software version. The update message showing up while recording bug is still there, & the timers not always picking up a 2nd showing (due to priority) as well. Until more people get the update & find other issues (they always do!) it looks OK for now.

And the Joey linked to the updated Hopper hasn't updated, usually both update on the same night.

Does anybody else have S339 on their HWS receivers?

Nope...you aren't the only one. I was checking mine to see if it had picked up S342, but found it was S339 (with a date of 3/6). Was surprised when it wasn't S338. Was just installed last week.

The living room still has S338, but not for a lack of trying. For some reason that Hopper doesn't seem to get updates until several days later. My Hopper with S342 does seem more stable. I haven't witnessed any STB Reboots simply from doing normal tasks such as viewing Info or deleting Timers. Unfortunately, I don't see any change with recording problems. I still have a tuner get stuck "...is about to begin recording", which is a serious problem. If I already have two other recordings active it can't use the tuner to record a third event until I reset. If I do have a free tuner and it's on the channel I'm supposed to be recording, I can't save it anyway because it prevents an instant record with 'Recording in progress' on the bottom. The tuner doesn't always become free even when the actual event has ended and deleting it doesn't always fix it. I've had to forfeit many movies and shows. A cancelled recording still shows with a red recording dot in both the Daily Schedule and the Guide. This makes resolving conflicts confusing since it includes shows which I already skipped and treats them as if they're recording. Also some shows which I set to record indicate as recording in both the Guide and Daily Schedule, but they're not recording. For this reason, my Sunday morning did not get off to a good start. I missed episodes of The Walking Dead Season 4 marathon and it didn't get the new episode of Marvel's Hulk and the Agents of S.M.A.S.H. although everything said it was conflict free. Other timers which I had long ago skipped became active and caused what I actually wanted to be skipped due to conflict. This is unacceptable. I'm tired of having incomplete seasons and missing episodes.

Last edited:
I have s338. I spoke with dish an hour ago and asked it there was a way I could do a manual update. No she said. She said who to unplug the hopper or use the power button on the hopper. I also talked about OTA recordings having problems. She put me on hold, came back with, we are not aware of that. REALLY? I find it hard to believe I'm the only one who called in about it.

I have my tv mounted to a bookcase, so getting to the power cord is a hassle. (photo attached) I used the power button on the hopper. It shut itself off, went through the update. When back up, it says 338 is up to date?
DSC00549.JPG
DSC00509.JPG

Last edited:
I used the power button on the hopper. It shut itself off, went through the update. When back up, it says 338 is up to date?
That message is misleading because it will always state whatever version of the software you currently have as being up to date. My Hopper here says that S342 is up to date, whereas the living room says that S338 is up to date. We are all aware that S339 and S342 are out there and available so S338 is not truly up to date. What would be better is if it would list the current software version the Hopper has but indicate if there is a newer version available (much in the same way how software informs of a newer version for your computer).

As for getting it to update, your best option is to just put it on standby mode with the Power button during the early a.m. hours it normally asks for an update, be patient, and hope for the best. It may take several days until it finally gets the upgrade. You can try to force it to perform the update upon reset by going to Diagnostics from the Menu, Point Dish, running Check Switch and Test, letting it cycle through and then cancel until you're back to the screen, but I haven't had any luck with that either. I dislike how we have so little control over an update.

S339 is only on the Hoppers that were new and initially downloaded it in their first download and haven't been updated to S342 yet. Something about new un-activated Hoppers, they seem to get whatever is the latest version at the initial download time whether it's for general release or not. We often see different versions in Hoppers on new installs between general release versions.

The way they do it for the general release versions is in a staggered roll out to specific Hoppers at different times. If the software hasn't been rolled out to your Hopper yet then the version you have is current for your Hopper. My Hopper and HWS always seem to be in the last batch to update. Haven't got the latest on either one yet.

You don't have control over when you get it nor can you force it. Doing all those things are just wasting your time unless you are in the range that is targeted for the update during that time frame. If you are in that group and haven't received the update, then putting the Hopper into standby will trigger the update.

Posted Via The FREE SatelliteGuys Reader App!

JSheridan yours is only next to last, just before mine. I still have S338 and from what I have seen here I am also waiting patiently for S360 to fix all the current problems, especially EHD and timers.

Yeah, new boxes get it because new boxes are targeted to receive it when the software roles, along with the smaller group of targeted boxes.

I wouldn't mind being on the targeted boxes list. :)

You don't have control over when you get it nor can you force it. Doing all those things are just wasting your time unless you are in the range that is targeted for the update during that time frame. If you are in that group and haven't received the update, then putting the Hopper into standby will trigger the update.

Overall I agree but since I have experienced an update a few times on some of my past Hoppers from doing the Test Switch trick, I know it can work, so I suggested it. What happens is once you cancel out, the receiver powers down and upon reset it triggers the update. It's the other method which tech support also suggests other than putting the receiver on standby mode. I just haven't had any success with using it to get to S338 and S342 on the living room Hopper. This is the second time that specific Hopper has been days behind mine with the software version.

What doesn't make sense to me is as I explained in an earlier post, the software version update seems to work differently than a nightly update. As I said before when my Hopper updated to S342 I was watching and recording and the update happened immediately once my show was done and the time was 2:05 a.m. I had not gotten any pop-ups asking me to allow an update, nor did I have it on standby mode. It seems to work independently of this yet all the Dish reps recommend putting the Hopper that missed the update on standby mode, but this isn't what initiated an update for my other one. All standby has done so far is download the guide repeatedly to 100% completion, go to screensaver and nothing further happens although there is plenty of time.

Again, at the beginning of a software rollout, unless you are in the targeted range for each push you aren't going to "trigger" it no matter what is attempted. I promise.

Once the final push is made to target the rest of the population, then it may look like a checkswitch or whatever is triggering it, but all that is required is the box to go into standby at that time.

Is there a way to be able to tell when one is in range? It would be nice if there was a way to have a Dish rep send a hit to encourage an update, similar to how they have done to get my External Hard Drive to be seen by the Hopper. These updates are frustrating when my main Hopper catches the update the day of release and the living room is always stubbornly lagging behind. This has happened twice now. Last time it was mine that got S338 right away on March 5th and the other didn't until March 7th. I guess I have to continue putting the other Hopper on standby mode and limit morning recordings until both have the current software version. What is frustrating is how it has bypassed the upgrade all weekend when I left it free with plenty of time and instead it just updated normally both mornings. The receiver doesn't even seem to be capable of detecting that it's not current. The whole update process leaves so much to be desired.

Last edited:
The whole update process leaves so much to be desired.
it's been this way for 2 years with some hoppers in the same household on different versions. Nothing to do but wait or just ignore the whole update process. We usually don't know what's in the update and it most likely won't contain fixes for what you want. You may even be waiting years for a fix to some things if they are prioritized low enough.

We may never even see S342. There has been many times where they stop the rollout after the initial batch and the next one that's released is is a week or two later.

After 2 years, I barely pay attention to the update threads anymore. If anything, more stuff just breaks so i'm better off not knowing.

The HWS that I got in July was updated in the first round for 338 & 342, that's not really a "new" Hopper. My older one is usually over a week later. Just noticed the "100% watched" bug is still there on programs recorded today. So far not seeing what's been fixed.

it's been this way for 2 years with some hoppers in the same household on different versions. Nothing to do but wait or just ignore the whole update process. We usually don't know what's in the update and it most likely won't contain fixes for what you want. You may even be waiting years for a fix to some things if they are prioritized low enough.We may never even see S342. There has been many times where they stop the rollout after the initial batch and the next one that's released is is a week or two later.After 2 years, I barely pay attention to the update threads anymore. If anything, more stuff just breaks so i'm better off not knowing.
Thankfully I wouldn't think recording and timer issues would be low on the priority list since they're upsetting to so many so I do expect them to be addressed soon. Then again I would have thought they'd already be taken care of with this current software update. I was so impressed that I got the S342 on mine the date it was released but since the other is being so stubborn to get it also, it makes me feel as if I'm doing something wrong. I guess it's at least good to know this is a common thing.

I'm still waiting for them to add the "Add OTA stations" option to the OTA dongle feature. Maybe S360 will have it?!? LOL

I have stations coming in from all directions, so there's no way to get them all with a single scan. I just have to set the antenna so that I get the locals and as many of the more distant stations as possible. I would think this would be an easy fix, since so many other tuners already have it.

Larry
SF

Yeah, new boxes get it because new boxes are targeted to receive it when the software rolls, along with the smaller group of targeted boxes. Posted Via The FREE SatelliteGuys Reader App!
I missed this page with your explanations before. (I don't think I have my thread display settings configured correctly) Anyway, that makes a lot of sense. The HWS which gets updates the instant they become available is a new box since January 31st. The living room HWS always missing the update was installed in mid-December.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts