Solar storm Watch NORTH tonight

Status
Please reply by conversation.

rv1pop

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
In space...

GEOMAGNETIC STORM IN PROGRESS: A major geomagnetic storm is in progress following the impact of a CME on August 5th around 1800 UT. Sky watchers at all latitudes should be alert for auroras after nightfall. Tip: the best hours for aurora sightings are usually around local midnight. Aurora alerts: text, voice.

Reports of Northern Lights are coming in from many European countries including Germany, Denmark, Scotland and the Netherlands.

Analysts at the Goddard Space Weather Lab say that the CME impact may have strongly compressed Earth's magnetic field, directly exposing satellites in geosynchronous orbit to solar wind plasma. Stay tuned for updates on this aspect of the storm.:(

The arriving CME left the sun on August 4th, propelled by an M9.3-category eruption in the magnetic canopy of sunspot 1261. Click on the image to view a movie of the expanding cloud recorded by the Solar and Heliospheric Observatory:

SpaceWeather.com -- News and information about meteor showers, solar flares, auroras, and near-Earth asteroids

RV1pop,

Even a faint aurora would have been a neat treat, but we have been overcast the past two days and probably into tonight. Last night (the night of the 5th) was even cursed with very heavy fog.
I have seen a couple of really vivid auroras at my latitude (41.6°N) over the years. There was one really excellent one that I could view here (cannot remember the year, but roughly somewhere between 1988 and 1994). This one I viewed while driving home from work around midnight or so. I also remember one when I was very young. That must have been near the end of the 60's or the very early 70's. Regardless of pinpointing the exact day/month/year, I do recall both of these as being quite vivid for our latitude. The one I observed when I was on my way home was more memorable to me. I pulled off the road and watched it for quite a long time. A good camera could have picked it up as it was quite bright, even this far south.

On another subject for those interested:
Currently, there is a meteor shower in progress, the perseids meteor shower. This is debris trail remnants from comet Swift-Tuttle and occurs each year from mid July to mid to late August. It should peak this year on August 12th. However, the problem this year is that on August 13th the moon will be full, so the peak of the viewing will be diminished by the light of the moon.

"Keep Looking UP!" Jack Horkheimer's signature closing to the show "Star Hustler" and part of his autobiographed epitaph.

RADAR

Just a little tidbit that I pulled up from You Tube for those who remember Jack and the show and for those who don't recall growing up with him to learn a little bit about Dr. Jack Horkheimer and the show.

?Tribute to Jack Horkheimer?‏ - YouTube

This next clip must have been his last or nearly his last since he passed away in August of 2010 and the segment was intended for that period of sky viewing:

?"Jack Horkheimer Star Gazer" 1 Minute Aug. 23 - 29, 2010?‏ - YouTube

And this one is very fun and informative and it suits well as Labor Day is approaching:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rrC2OCLvbxE&feature=related

Want to know what day of the week it is? Ha ha

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eSB5RCQUfOA&feature=related

RADAR

Last edited:
Just a little tidbit that I pulled up from You Tube for those who remember Jack and the show and for those who don't recall growing up with him to learn a little bit about Dr. Jack Horkheimer and the show.

?Tribute to Jack Horkheimer?‏ - YouTube

This next clip must have been his last or nearly his last since he passed away in August of 2010 and the segment was intended for that period of sky viewing:

?"Jack Horkheimer Star Gazer" 1 Minute Aug. 23 - 29, 2010?‏ - YouTube

And this one is very fun and informative and it suits well as Labor Day is approaching:

?"Jack Horkheimer Star Gazer" 5 Minute Aug. 30 - Sept. 5, 2010?‏ - YouTube

Want to know what day of the week it is? Ha ha

?"Jack Horkheimer Star Gazer" 5 Minute Aug. 16 - 22, 2010?‏ - YouTube

RADAR

I loved that show!

RV1pop,

Even a faint aurora would have been a neat treat, but we have been overcast the past two days and probably into tonight. Last night (the night of the 5th) was even cursed with very heavy fog.
I have seen a couple of really vivid auroras at my latitude (41.6°N) over the years. There was one really excellent one that I could view here (cannot remember the year, but roughly somewhere between 1988 and 1994). This one I viewed while driving home from work around midnight or so. I also remember one when I was very young. That must have been near the end of the 60's or the very early 70's. Regardless of pinpointing the exact day/month/year, I do recall both of these as being quite vivid for our latitude. The one I observed when I was on my way home was more memorable to me. I pulled off the road and watched it for quite a long time. A good camera could have picked it up as it was quite bright, even this far south.

On another subject for those interested:
Currently, there is a meteor shower in progress, the perseids meteor shower. This is debris trail remnants from comet Swift-Tuttle and occurs each year from mid July to mid to late August. It should peak this year on August 12th. However, the problem this year is that on August 13th the moon will be full, so the peak of the viewing will be diminished by the light of the moon.

"Keep Looking UP!" Jack Horkheimer's signature closing to the show "Star Hustler" and part of his autobiographed epitaph.

RADAR

Radar,

I believe I remember this one too. I live at latitude 41.4 in northwest Ohio and I remember coming out of a guy's house about 1am or so and the sky was just lit up with the Northern Lights. It was the most amazing thing I had ever seen of the Northern Lights at that time. That was early to mid may of 1992, as I believe I was home on leave from the Army from Basic Training and AIT. I would soon see what the Northern Lights really were as I was to be stationed in Fairbanks, AK. The view of them there was unbelievable.

Radar,

I believe I remember this one too. I live at latitude 41.4 in northwest Ohio and I remember coming out of a guy's house about 1am or so and the sky was just lit up with the Northern Lights. It was the most amazing thing I had ever seen of the Northern Lights at that time. That was early to mid may of 1992, as I believe I was home on leave from the Army from Basic Training and AIT. I would soon see what the Northern Lights really were as I was to be stationed in Fairbanks, AK. The view of them there was unbelievable.

I remember seeing those Northern Lights about that time frame too! :up

When I would get home late from seeing my sweetie :heart

I would take a whizz behind the house before sneaking in! :D

Afterwards I would gaze at those lights which appeared night after night! :cool:

My brother would always get caught when he got home late because he would
use the bathroom upstairs which was above Mom and Dad's bedroom! :facepalm

My other brother was stationed in Alaska in the mid 70's and always

talked about those Northern Lights. :blah:

That time in the early 90's was the first time I ever saw them and they

were amazing!!!... :hail:

Yesterday evening I witnessed two extremely phenomenal events locally. Because of the change in the jet stream, dozens of small, but extremely potent storm cells popped up all over the central states (Nebraska included). The first storm blew by us while I was at work and, although we in Valley, Nebraska didn't receive any storm symptoms, we were witness to an awesomely perfect double rainbow! The most perfect double rainbow I have ever seen in person or in pictures! Both bows were extremely bright and fully complete from one end to the other! You don't get to witness such rainbows often.

Later, another storm passed through which hit us directly and we had to go to the storm shelters at work for about 15-20 minutes. Lots of wind and rain and thunder. It passed quickly and was relatively uneventful, except for all the water running in from the roof vents that we had to mop up.

Around midnight, a third storm cell arose and drove east to west from Grand Island virtually following I-80. When it got to around the Lincoln area, it seemed to stall and was still there around 4 am.
That one provided us at work with an absolutely fantastic light show! It was also one of the best that I had ever seen. No Fourth of July display has ever been even close to this and I have rarely seen such a potent electrical discharge display!!!!! Freaking FANTASTIC!

I just absolutely LOVE "What's Up There"! From the satellites to the stars and planets, to the ionosphere and the clouds and the lightning! It's just fascinating! I guess that is why I love FTA TV so much. I could get lots of TV OTA in HD, but that's not a challenge. I want to get TV from the STARS! :)

RADAR

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts