Solar Tsunami to Strike Earth Tuesday Night

fbara

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Dec 15, 2008
Oswego, IL
FOXNews.com - Solar Tsunami to Strike Earth Tonight

The Sun's surface erupted early Sunday morning, blasting tons of plasma into interplanetary space -- directly towards the Earth.

That wall of ionized atoms should hit the planet tonight, say scientists, creating a geomagnetic storm and a spectacular light show and possibly threatening satellites in orbit.

"This eruption is directed right at us and is expected to get here early in the day on Aug. 4th," said Leon Golub of the Harvard-Smithsonian Center for Astrophysics. "It's the first major Earth-directed eruption in quite some time."

Anyone know how this will affect us, if at all? Thanks.

Has anyone else noticed that the Dish Earth channel 287 seems to have a lot of static electricity dots and flicks floating by on the screen? When it hits our side of earth will be turned away from the sun.

Pass out the tin foil hats...! And the kazoos...!!

They are ready !

tin-foil-hat.jpg

If you live anywhere near the north and south poles, you should get a very nice light show. Other than that, few people will notice.
I live in Chicago, so I doubt I'll see anything.

Off topic, filming of Transformers 3 is going on across the street from my office. Yesterday they had all the the Transformers cars doing skids and slides into the lot of the old Chicago Post Office on Van Buren. It's been fun to watch!

So no aurora's, but I get Transformers....

Attachments

• IMG_0037.jpg
    IMG_0037.jpg
    260.9 KB · Views: 408
You might be surprised at what you will be able to see tonight.
Many Nasa, JPL and MIT scientist are predicting that the aurora should be visible as far south as Colorado and Virginia. The show should start just after midnight and last until sometime at dawn.(EST)
And to correct the OP. It wasn't tons of plasma.
It was thousands of cubic miles of plasma that was directed straight at the earth.(Which is very rare.Usually we get indirect blows).
Something in the billion ton range.

Just to be on the safe side. It might be a good idea to unplug all your expensive electronic equipment before you go to bed.

I live in Chicago, so I doubt I'll see anything.

Off topic, filming of Transformers 3 is going on across the street from my office. Yesterday they had all the the Transformers cars doing skids and slides into the lot of the old Chicago Post Office on Van Buren. It's been fun to watch!

So no aurora's, but I get Transformers....

The Transformer will SAVE the EARTH !!!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)