Solved HDD problem with s10

Status
Please reply by conversation.

utah2

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Sep 22, 2010
new york
As posted previously I could not get any HDD to work with S10.I have 1tb toshiba with external pwer that worked fine with s9(s9 now bricked ) this drive did not work with s10, & repeatedly locked up receiver & stated drive to slow. Went and bought for $12.00 Inland pro ide/sata/usb hdd adaptor kit (includes pwr supply) & removed drive from toshiba enclosure & interface pc that was attached. The drive inside the case was Samsung 54oo rpm. I attached adapter sata cables and usb interface pluged into s10 & drive now records everthing with exception of H.264 on Montana.

It will record.
Montana but needs about 5 mins of recording b4 playing right. Also will not pause tv if on an h264 or a HD channel, although will record HD channels ok & will pause (time shift) tv on SD channels. Ithink all the all the components on the Toshiba board conflicted with the s10. Last time I will buy a HDD in external sealed case.

I would like to try a 7200 rpm drive with this same setup but can't seem to find even used @320GB as min for below $50.00 dollars

Anyways thats the story BTW Using S10 FW 11-10-12

you should be able to unbrick the s9,make sure you are using loader v2.0.0c and not newer or older versions.
It asks for the file name right on the initial page.
I use it all the time to test euro firmware on my s10.
The eromclient.abs and sdram.ini must match the receiver you are using.
The eromclient.abs will be 56k,the sdram.ini were all the same size.

Loader + Bricked S9

xtgold: thanks for the info I will try. My problem is finding the v2.0.0c of loader & using properly. Example when & how do you use epromclient.abs do you load this after you have tried to use loader . I've tried various timing a 100 time and cannot get through to s9, just keeps reporting " stb not synchronized try again" I check bootloader box etc My s9 just keeps rebooting to channel 676 continuosly. Also will v2.0.0c list version & have correct .ini file when you open loader ? Thanks for any help you may provide.

may day

v2.0.0c of the eromupgrade loader.
This will program the flash even if it's bootloader section is all garbage.
Load the 5.5.abs file, include bootloader,this was the 1st s9 firmware with lan loader support.
Will also work on bricked s10's
I use it daily to try euro firmwares on my s10 without subjecting myself to crying and gnashing of teeth.

Attachments

• eromupgrade200c.zip
    1.6 MB · Views: 1,110
you should be able to unbrick the s9,make sure you are using loader v2.0.0c and not newer or older versions.
It asks for the file name right on the initial page.
I use it all the time to test euro firmware on my s10.
The eromclient.abs and sdram.ini must match the receiver you are using.
The eromclient.abs will be 56k,the sdram.ini were all the same size.

xtgold: thanks for the info I will try. My problem is finding the v2.0.0c of loader & using properly. Example when & how do you use epromclient.abs do you load this after you have tried to use loader . I've tried various timing a 100 time and cannot get through to s9, just keeps reporting " stb not synchronized try again" I check bootloader box etc My s9 just keeps rebooting to channel 676 continuosly. Also will v2.0.0c list version & have correct .ini file when you open loader ? Thanks for any help you may provide.

Files used:( probably not in correct order)[Script]
Script File=C:\Users\ME\Desktop\S9E\S9-loader_Editor_HD\S9-Editor_HD\script.ini
Chip Type=M3602 file is dated July 10th 2010
stb erom upgrade 2.0.0c-2009-05-22 step 1: configure
eromclient.abs created wednesday 8/26/09 size 56.0K
Could you possably provide me with correct procedure to run these files on s9 using rs232. When I open loader and place eromclient.abs in file box 7 try to load it tells me wrong file ?
Thanks

v2.0.0c of the eromupgrade loader.
This will program the flash even if it's bootloader section is all garbage.
Load the 5.5.abs file, include bootloader,this was the 1st s9 firmware with lan loader support.
Will also work on bricked s10's
I use it daily to try euro firmwares on my s10 without subjecting myself to crying and gnashing of teeth.
Mayday thanks for files. I tried flash with 5.5 abs now loader says done and on bottom of loader says stb set memory error try again. This is the first time I've made any progress beyond loader saying synchro error. However s9 just keeps rebooting I will keep trying with switch on s9 & loader timing. I also tried to load eromclient same thing comes up Wrong file. I am wondering if doing something wrong with other files included in .rar file you sent. Thanks for any other advice you may provide.

eromclient.abs is part of the loader,not a file to load.
As always,start the loader then turn the receiver on in the back.
That is the proper way to do it.
You are free to try other s9 firmware,but always use this loader..

the 56k eromclient.abs and sdram.ini were selected for a receiver with 128MB of ram and the m3602 processor.Other smaller eromclient.abs were for other processors like the m3329c and smaller ram sizes.There was a loader pack with 3 different eromclient.abs and 3 different sdram.ini files,but I am away from home now for a few days and don't have them handy.
There are/were different versions of m3602,that may be a factor for people that can't recover with the usual means.

Proceesor number for bricked S9 is ? ?

the 56k eromclient.abs and sdram.ini were selected for a receiver with 128MB of ram and the m3602 processor.Other smaller eromclient.abs were for other processors like the m3329c and smaller ram sizes.There was a loader pack with 3 different eromclient.abs and 3 different sdram.ini files,but I am away from home now for a few days and don't have them handy.
There are/were different versions of m3602,that may be a factor for people that can't recover with the usual means.

Thanks again xtgold. The 2 .ini files that I see list chips id that you show. I am wondering what my S9 ali processor number is, I am going to open box up I seem to remember it has m3601? :confused:if that's possible. Also I am using LT with serial adapter & null cable. I will try to use DT pc & see what happens as DT is the preferred method.

S9 Still Bricked

3602a,3602b 3602?
You would have to pop the heatsink off
Use a real pc comport for recovery.

xtgold thanks fo continuing info help. Just tried s9 again this time with DT PC com 3 port which verified as working com. No good luck w/S9 just keeps saying synchro problem stb reset & try again many times no luck. Every time I go back it says downloading but it's not.

S9 problem happened when I tried to load fw which worked with no channels so I loaded my tp-prog list & boom the s9 just keeps rooting to chl # 676 continuosly. I thought I was makeing some progress with 5.5 abs file from mayday ,but not the case s there any otherway to resolve ?? Itried hooking up lan cable & use stb-lan file but it states cannot connect pc to stb.

I was wondering what happens with cnnecting s9 to s10 via rs232(null cable) ) but think that s10 may get screwed up by corruption on s9 chip.
If ou have any further suggestions they would be appeceiated.
Thanks

maybe try real old firmware,like from the solomend 800 which may or may not boot but may get the thing going enough to be able to load newer firmware.

getting back to the original post,I bought an external case at staples today and will try it later.
i/o magic and it takes ide or sata drives

don't know what to do godfather

device speed to slow to play,like the poor,will always be with us.
The new usb2.0 case is worse than the old.I couldn't even record pentagon hd which isn't even the ultimate hd recording torture test.Using the latest firmware in the s10.So now I am in the hole over $110 for the seagate drive plus the new case I just bought.

it might work well with the geosatpro microhd. that is my plan anyway. i can record on my solomend but that's the only place i can play it. well, i can get my sony camera out and record from the tv screen. maybe i will do that tonight. i did that with some 16mm to screen, recorded on camera. works well... charlie

the 12/13/2011 firmware was the worst.
I tried playing back hd recording of pentagon and it burped and ejected the usb device.
Pretty sad when a receiver locks up in the mediaplayer screen before you even get to play anything.
I can't afford to throw more money at even another receiver.

l still like the hds2-11-03-21 firmware. i have tried other ones but they either lock up or have a display i don't like or keep the moving dish when there is signal or too slow to switch between screens or transponders. only thing about mine is every once in a while the sound gets scratchy and screen flickers. maybe once a month. works ok after rebooting. i think utah2 might have a powersupply problem. mine had a 400v 33uf cap in the powersupply that was leaking and i replaced it. did not work then because i had other caps to replace also but it is about 6 months since i have had any problems. charlie

S10 USB HDD

l still like the hds2-11-03-21 firmware. i have tried other ones but they either lock up or have a display i don't like or keep the moving dish when there is signal or too slow to switch between screens or transponders. only thing about mine is every once in a while the sound gets scratchy and screen flickers. maybe once a month. works ok after rebooting. i think utah2 might have a powersupply problem. mine had a 400v 33uf cap in the powersupply that was leaking and i replaced it. did not work then because i had other caps to replace also but it is about 6 months since i have had any problems. charlie

xtgold & chaskuchar thanks for info & help. I am convinced that depending on what factory & mfg in China happened to make the solomed, s9,s10 s11.s12 you happen to purchase & receive, as well as how many units a particular mfg has made will effect quality of unit; in other words purchaser has to be lucky, IMHO no consistent quality procedures are conformed to. The mfg will never see the unit again: it's buyer beware. If the manufacturers had a conforming Q system that included suppliers providing consistent quality components the end user would not be having performance problems . Micro hd unit will have in my opinion far less problems as from reading it appears that AV is aiming to satisfy buyers of unit & hold his costs down by not going to market prematurely

In as far as the usb pvr on s10 goes the inexpensive adapter mentioned in my post works the toshiba/samsung hdd pretty good except for h264 cannot record well & time share function will not work right anything recorded in TS mode freezes up with "device to slow".The other draw back to the is
adapter is no on /off switch for hdd even after using s10 remove usb device the drive keep on spining until plug is pulled( though do not see any arcing). I also brought a usb enclosure( Hontek @ Micro Center )for $21.00 that has SATA connections +on /off switch. This enclosure works ok but I may not keep as it is good for only 3.5" drives & if & when I find a 7200rpm drive at reasonable price it may be 2.5".

As far as my bricked s9 goes if I ultimately I cannot unbrick I am thinking of switching out s9 pwr supply to s10. To see if usb works any better on s10 as s9 usb functioned a lot better then s10. Who knows maybe the usb connector on s9 was better quality then connector used on s10 ?

I just tried a seagate freeagent 250gig usb powered,but it said device too slow to record on pentagon hd channel.
I hit stop to stop recording,the receiver locked up.
Cycled power on receiver,receiver media player shows recording with zero filesize.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Hail Damage to Patriot and DH Dishes

Laptop Fans for our STBs

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)