SonicTap replacing Sirius/XM on 2/9/2010

Status
Please reply by conversation.
OK, so where exactly DOES Sonic Tap come from? I assume this is another 3rd party music service that D* is getting this from, since I don't see them trying to "roll their own".

Maybe I might be in the minority here, but this could be better. If these channels go back to just playing music like Music Choice was, (w/out all the DJ clap-trap) I'm all for it. I never have been thrilled since they did switch to XM, so I'm for keeping an open mind on this. I'm also hoping the audio quality on this service is better than what we are getting now on XM. I also have Music Choice on cable that I listen to pretty regularly, so this will just be another option I can utilize.

I'm actually surprised that D* didn't switch to the Urge radio service, since several other cable co & FiOS have it as well.

I think Sonic Tap is affiliated with DMX.

Actually I think you are correct - check out this DMX lineup from their full DBS offering & look at the new channel lineup on the D* link.
The same channel names on the D* list appear within the DMX list.

http://www.dmx.com/files/library/dbsChannelLineup.pdf

Now that I know where it's coming from, I'm more than willing to give this one a shot - I'm willing to bet the audio quality must be better than what we're getting now. And, I know DMX has no DJ's, so that's a plus in my book as well.

I looked at the list on Direct tv and the lineup is the same we get on C band from DMX in DC-2 and DVB. So Direct is going with DMX.

As far as audio quality DMX's frequency response is limited to about 50 to 15k (FM quality). Music Choice has better frequency response. Direct tv will be recompressing the master feeds so all bets are off of the audio quality. There are no DJ's on DMX so it will be like XM was long ago.

Last edited:
Still no punk station :rant:

Of course we just can't live without 5 country stations, 3 religious stations and an Irish music station.

OK, so where exactly DOES Sonic Tap come from? I assume this is another 3rd party music service that D* is getting this from, since I don't see them trying to "roll their own".

Maybe I might be in the minority here, but this could be better. If these channels go back to just playing music like Music Choice was, (w/out all the DJ clap-trap) I'm all for it. I never have been thrilled since they did switch to XM, so I'm for keeping an open mind on this. I'm also hoping the audio quality on this service is better than what we are getting now on XM. I also have Music Choice on cable that I listen to pretty regularly, so this will just be another option I can utilize.

I'm actually surprised that D* didn't switch to the Urge radio service, since several other cable co & FiOS have it as well.

Urge TOTALLLY SUCKS! You should see all the complaints in the Uverse forums at how bad urge is! This is a big mistake on D*'s part by letting Sirius XM go.

I doubt most users will really notice or care.

I will get use to it either way, It's nice currently as I too have XM in my car, channels are different numbers, but the stations have the same names, so you know what your getting when you turn on a particular channel.

Just have to learn what channels do the same thing on the new system.

See what will happen though is it will change and some people will freak out not right away but like 2 months after the change. Like people did with 208 espn classic no one watches it on a regular enough basis to know it even missing.

What the real shame is that they are probably dropping XM Sirius over cost, while they really could just carry both and expand their offerings. Audio is a very low cost and low bandwith option compared to most of their services.

What the real shame is that they are probably dropping XM Sirius over cost, while they really could just carry both and expand their offerings. Audio is a very low cost and low bandwith option compared to most of their services.

So was an OTA tuner and we see what happened with that ....

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts