Sony 51" HD and the big red button.

MrWhoa

SatelliteGuys Family
Apr 14, 2004
41
0
Ok, as you all know, Im sure, that sony hd's dont support 720p and it is upconverted to 1080i. My question is, what mode should I run my stb in? 1080i mode or Native mode(all red bars mode)? When I first played around with 1080i mode, I would get a faint vertical blue bar down the left of the screen. I remember in another thread a sony owner mentioned this bar, is this a sony "feature"? I dont seem to have the bar problem in native mode, but I also havent tried out 1080i mode since my box was hit with the latest software.


BTW, my girlfriend says "Voom Sucks, but whatever..." Can I kill her? ;)
 

Sean Mota

SatelliteGuys Master
Supporting Founder
Sep 8, 2003
19,039
1,738
New York City
MrWhoa said:
Ok, as you all know, Im sure, that sony hd's dont support 720p and it is upconverted to 1080i. My question is, what mode should I run my stb in? 1080i mode or Native mode(all red bars mode)? When I first played around with 1080i mode, I would get a faint vertical blue bar down the left of the screen. I remember in another thread a sony owner mentioned this bar, is this a sony "feature"? I dont seem to have the bar problem in native mode, but I also havent tried out 1080i mode since my box was hit with the latest software.


BTW, my girlfriend says "Voom Sucks, but whatever..." Can I kill her? ;)

What model you have. I have the Sony GWII and it supports 720p even though the native resolution of the TV is 768p. It also supports 1080i as it either upconverts/downconverts everything to 768p. I have never run in native resolution from the receiver. Is the blue bar always visible in every channel and program or is it there for a few channels or program?
 

MrWhoa

SatelliteGuys Family
Apr 14, 2004
41
0
KP-51WS500. The blue bar seems to be intermitent, and not on all channels. And I didnt clearly state that in native mode, I never get the bar.

also, any opinion on the TV I have?
 

Sean Mota

SatelliteGuys Master
Supporting Founder
Sep 8, 2003
19,039
1,738
New York City
MrWhoa said:
KP-51WS500. The blue bar seems to be intermitent, and not on all channels. And I didnt clearly state that in native mode, I never get the bar.

also, any opinion on the TV I have?


I have seen the blue bar but only with a few programs. You might need to go to the service menu of your TV and adjust VIDEO picture. I haven't seen that blue bar for a long time though since adjusting the video picture on my sony. Don't know much about this particular model.
 

vurbano

On Double Secret Probation
Supporting Founder
Apr 1, 2004
23,813
104
Newport News, VA
MrWhoa said:
BTW, my girlfriend says "Voom Sucks, but whatever..." Can I kill her? ;)
Insert analogy about her sucking ability here and whether or not you should kill here. Id keep voom there is no better. not sure about the GF.

LMAO
 

GeneWildershair

SatelliteGuys Pro
Feb 28, 2004
521
0
Bay Area
I've basically got the 46" version of the same tv, and I can tell you that it accepts the 720P signal, but will downconvert it to 480p. It should say in your user manual, but I also confirmed this through the on screen service menu. SO I leave the stb set up at 1080i, (first top bar). That way everything is switched to 1080i. Hope that's helpful.
 

vurbano

On Double Secret Probation
Supporting Founder
Apr 1, 2004
23,813
104
Newport News, VA
Ive got a 47" samsung RPTV 1080i HD monitor, it accepts 720p and DVI, I think it converts to 540p. I leave my box on 1080i and use component cables. I like the color saturation better through component.
 

MrWhoa

SatelliteGuys Family
Apr 14, 2004
41
0
Gene, nice hair BTW, I thought I read it upconverted to 1080i... Oh well, I have been known to be wrong most of the time.

Vurb, the GF is a keeper! She plays videogames and thinks quality time is a night of vodka shots and xbox gaming!


*EDIT*
just found this in a review of the TV, is it incorrect?

"As this set is one of Sony's Hi-Scan TVs, it can display 1080i--the most common HDTV format--and convert 720p HDTV into 1080i, although you'll need a separate tuner to receive high-definition programs. The 51SW500's performance features include three color-temperature settings and DRC (Digital Reality Creation) MultiFunction, which allows unprecedented adjustment of how you view your standard-definition source material. "
 

GeneWildershair

SatelliteGuys Pro
Feb 28, 2004
521
0
Bay Area
MrWhoa said:
Gene, nice hair BTW, I thought I read it upconverted to 1080i... Oh well, I have been known to be wrong most of the time.

Vurb, the GF is a keeper! She plays videogames and thinks quality time is a night of vodka shots and xbox gaming!


*EDIT*
just found this in a review of the TV, is it incorrect?

"As this set is one of Sony's Hi-Scan TVs, it can display 1080i--the most common HDTV format--and convert 720p HDTV into 1080i, although you'll need a separate tuner to receive high-definition programs. The 51SW500's performance features include three color-temperature settings and DRC (Digital Reality Creation) MultiFunction, which allows unprecedented adjustment of how you view your standard-definition source material. "

that's incorrect. You want to see? turn off your tv, push these buttons in order: display, 5, volume up, power. You will then be in the service menu. *WARNING* do not mess with any of the settings. Just take a look at the right hand side of the screen at the top you will see either 480p, or 1080i displayed there underneath all those other numbers. Anyway make sure you have your VOOM box set to native, (all bars lit), and make sure your on one of the cinema 10's. You will see the display read 480p, and the picture will be noticeably worse than keeping your stb at 1080i. BTW, a lot of sites state the exact same thing you posted, it's a common *misleading* mistake. A lot of owners have posted in other forums btw. In fact if you go to circuit city's website, and look at product reviews, you'll see some of them complain about it there too. It doesn't bother me though, as most any HD STB will convert it to 1080i for you. :)
 

adis452

Member
Apr 27, 2004
8
0
Hey,
I have the kp46wt500 as well. Do you use the DVI interface? Component video works great, but when I use this connection, I get blue horizontal lines across the screen when I'm in 1080i or 720p. Already tried changing out the TV and the box and cable with no luck. It seems I have VOOM stumped. They keep sending the ever-so-intelligent installers from Installs INC out, which is pointless. Any ideas????


-Tony
 

GeneWildershair

SatelliteGuys Pro
Feb 28, 2004
521
0
Bay Area
adis452 said:
Hey,
I have the kp46wt500 as well. Do you use the DVI interface? Component video works great, but when I use this connection, I get blue horizontal lines across the screen when I'm in 1080i or 720p. Already tried changing out the TV and the box and cable with no luck. It seems I have VOOM stumped. They keep sending the ever-so-intelligent installers from Installs INC out, which is pointless. Any ideas????


-Tony

I currently use component, but have used tested DVI, and I don't see a blue lines with either?
 

GeneWildershair

SatelliteGuys Pro
Feb 28, 2004
521
0
Bay Area
MrWhoa said:
Gene, it came up 1080i...

you have to make sure the stb for VOOM is set to 720P first, then try it again. This has been discussed before in other forums. here is just one place it was discussed, and at the end you'll see the answer. And this is actually the newer model of your set that is discussed. Nothing was changed with the newer other than the fact that the newer models, (510's) have a better *accessible*owner service menu. Believ me, I know of what I'm talking about when it comes to this line of Sony Tv's, (I've researched the hell out of them before I bought mine) and all those websites that say 720P is converted to 1080i, are just all wrong.
 

pOiNTBLaNK

SatelliteGuys Pro
Feb 25, 2004
162
0
I agree. My kp-51ws500's manual cleary states the all native 720p is downconverted to 480p.
 

GeneWildershair

SatelliteGuys Pro
Feb 28, 2004
521
0
Bay Area
pOiNTBLaNK said:
I agree. My kp-51ws500's manual cleary states the all native 720p is downconverted to 480p.

yeah there is a lot of false advertising from stores with these sets! It is really terrible that they can lie like that and get away with it.
 
Top