Sony 65" X950G, any comments

johnwadams

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Dec 1, 2006
Arkansas
Any thoughts or comments? I want to be current if i can stream any 4K in the future. Currently in a rural area with a 10 MBPS DSL line. Can stream Amazon HD and use DISH for most viewing. I see where the 2019 X950G has several features the X900 may not have had. Although closeouts on the X900 make it a lot less. But the 950 has a new processing chip and (I understand) it offers some things not on the 2018 X900G such as
HDR 10, HLG, and Dolby Vision high dynamic range (HDR) technologies, and also runs the Android TV OS and feature built-in Google Assistant. Also it, features Netflix Calibrated Mode and IMAX certification.

Any thoughts or comments? I want to be current if i can stream any 4K in the future. Currently in a rural area with a 10 MBPS DSL line. Can stream Amazon HD and use DISH for most viewing. I see where the 2019 X950G has several features the X900 may not have had. Although closeouts on the X900 make it a lot less. But the 950 has a new processing chip and (I understand) it offers some things not on the 2018 X900G such as
HDR 10, HLG, and Dolby Vision high dynamic range (HDR) technologies, and also runs the Android TV OS and feature built-in Google Assistant. Also it, features Netflix Calibrated Mode and IMAX certification.

Rtings says Quote: The Sony Z9F is slightly better than the Sony X950G. The Sony Z9F has better local dimming, which is great for movies and wider viewing angles thanks to the 'X-Wide Angle' technology; something which the X950G offers only at the larger models. On the other hand, the smaller models of the Sony X950G have higher contrast ratio, due to the lack of the 'X-Wide Angle' panel.

The Samsung Q8FN is marginally better than the Sony X950G. The Samsung Q8FN has better reflection handling and better BFI implementation. Also, if you are a fan of gaming, the Samsung is loaded with gaming goodies like auto low latency, low input lag with motion interpolation in game mode, and FreeSync variable refresh rate support.

And it does have HDR10. I have one, and just Googled the specs.

I’m very happy with it. Voice search is superb.

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

Unless it is an old TV like my 850A which does not support any flavor of HDR, all of these current displays support HDR10. HDR10 is the standard. HDR10+, HLG, Dolby Vision are all optional.

S~

I'm sure as a last resort you could always block the IP addresses on your router that they use to push their ads. I did that years ago when LG tried the same thing.

The Sponsored Ads show up as a row when you select the Home key on my Sony TV. But unless you select them you don’t have to watch them. The only negative is that it takes up memory space.
The only rows I select are the Favorites row and the Channels row. The software allows you to select which Apps you want in the Favorites row. I have Netflix, Prime Video, You Tube, Vudu, Fandango, and TV which is a shortcut to my Dish Hopper 3.
They can put whatever they want on the Sponsored Row because I do not view it.

I don’t think we can remove it from the screen. But one down click and we’re rid of it.

I don’t think we can remove it from the screen. But one down click and we’re rid of it.

I agree that you can’t remove the row but you actually have to scroll down two rows to get to the Sponsored Row. When you hit the Home Key it shows the Favorites Row. You can select what Apps you want in your Favorites Row. So that is the only row that I use.

I’ve also set up Favorites.

Hmmm. I’ll have to look tonight when I get home. I thought Sponsored was on top. Maybe I misremember. Or maybe they’re trying it different ways.

I certainly don’t like them using a product I paid full price for to make more money off me, at my expense.

I got mine hung on the wall and running Thursday. So far, it is a great set.
PROBLEM RESOLVED: (edit)
(When the TV speakers are turned OFF, you then have a choice of audio output modes other than PCM. Will be a pain, as my wife does not like to use the home theater system and relies on TV audio, which is good on this set. )

Only one potential problem, and after I read the on line manuals it might be resolvable. My Sony HT receiver was the last without HDMI inputs. I run digital audio cables from the Sat box and my Sony BD player to it. I ran an optical audio cable from the new TV to the Sony receiver and the only sound coming down is PCM. My receiver identifies the exact audio being received and a blue light comes on for Dolby 5.1 or above. Amazon Prime is my streaming service and the current shows that are in 5.1 only come down as PCM. When I switch back to the Sony BD player which I have been using as my "Smart TV", I get Dolby 5.1 and you can tell the difference in the audio and surround sound effects. OK, I can continue to use it to feed audio to my receiver and HDMI video to my new Sony 65X950G for 1080i programs, but I have to use the Amazon App on the tv for anything in 4K. Very pleased with the 4K streaming picture quality. Only thing else I stream is YouTube and the audio from YouTube is only PCM, 2 channel, so it does not matter.

Last edited:
I don’t have this TV but a 65 X800E. Does anyone know if there is a way to disable the little white light that comes on when you turn TV on?
I don't have this series of Sony TVs, but an older one. I was never able to find a way to disable the status LED in the menus on my Bravia.

I hate to say it, but maybe a small piece of black tape placed over the LED? That totally depends on where on the TV it is, and the surrounding bezel. I've done this on monitors so I didn't have to stare at the little blue LED while working on my computers.

Blue tape, like used for painting. Leaves no sticky residue and you can put 2 or 3 layers if need be.

Personally, I can hardly see it on mine, with no tape on it.

Just got mine delivered and set up. So far pretty nice. DV activates just fine with both the internal VUDU app and the Oppo 203. You can turn off the front LED. It's under picture and display settings. Same on my old 850A. Now to have it calibrated.

S~

Last edited:
Reactions: Foxbat

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)