Sony Corporate Strategy Update: 2008-2010 (FY)

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

diogen

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Apr 16, 2007
A few quotes:
...we expect to improve the operations of our TV business significantly and implement a variety of cost reduction measures to restore that business to profitability in the fiscal year ending March 31, 2009*, and strive for the global No. 1 position in LCD TVs by FY2010.
In the Game segment, the two key drivers of new growth are non-game content and services in tandem with enhanced network capability. Sony also expects to achieve profitability in this segment in the fiscal year ending March 31, 2009*...
...this November, Sony Pictures Entertainment will offer one of the most highly anticipated films of the summer, “Hancock”, exclusively to all internet connected BRAVIA LCD TVs in the U.S. before it is available on DVD.
http://www.sony.net/SonyInfo/News/Press/200806/08-080E/08-080E.pdf

So, to summarize, claims that Sony LCD business in profitable is BS. Same about the Game segment.
It is Sony's goal for this segments to become profitable in 9 months...

I know this won't stop Joe from claiming he knows better and PS3 makes (a sh!tload of) money. Just to have a link handy for the less delusional.

And of course they will parrot MS' move and offer movies and TV shows for download... What else is new.
The question is, will those downloads be of the PSP resolution (like the managed copy on BD transformed into)
or hidef (why would people buy BDs then)...

Diogen.

Oh gee, lets see:

LCD HDTV Sales Leaders in North America

You think being number two that you are not making money? Not a business man are you? And by the way, have you read Sony's balance sheet?

SONY CORPORATION

Kudos to Allargon for this one.

Diogen, explain how does one triple net profit from one year to the next and not make any money? I guess now you will put on your CPA hat and explain this one.

And it is a bad thing to offer Hancock on internet connected Bravias before the release on DVD and BD? Why I believe that Sony is competing directly with Cablevision, Dish and DirectTV on this one. Don't they sell a viewing on PPV before the movie shows up on disc for consumer purchase? Looks like a smart move by Sony -- of course Diogen you can explain why this won't make money for Sony. You can now put on your MBA in business hat.

Wow, you really are a smart guy Diogen!;)

Oh gee, lets see:

You think being number two that you are not making money? Not a business man are you? And by the way, have you read Sony's balance sheet?

SONY CORPORATION

Diogen, explain how does one triple net profit from one year to the next and not make any money? I guess now you will put on your CPA hat and explain this one.

And it is a bad thing to offer Hancock on internet connected Bravias before the release on DVD and BD? Why I believe that Sony is competing directly with Cablevision, Dish and DirectTV on this one. Don't they sell a viewing on PPV before the movie shows up on disc for consumer purchase? Looks like a smart move by Sony -- of course Diogen you can explain why this won't make money for Sony. You can now put on your MBA in business hat.

Not to hard to triple profits when the year before you get hit by exploding batteries
http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,208809,00.html
and a console that wasn't moving off the shelf at all the year before.

Sony has plenty of money makers to off set some losses.

The Founder and Honorary Chairman of the F*ck the Facts Party is back!

Phew... For a moment I thought you followed my advice and looked in the mirror... And enlightenment came upon you...
Naaah... Why would you do that, right?
Diogen, explain how does one triple net profit...

Hehe... You can do better than that...
Here I explained where you should look for idiots...
http://www.satelliteguys.us/1428390-post19.html
and reminded you about your "following the fact" track record...

Happy holiday and have a nice weekend, Joe!

Diogen.

Oh gee, lets see:

SONY CORPORATION

GM is the number one car maker in the world. and they are losing their shirt. American Airlines is the number 1 Airline and they are going broke... Being #1 #2 whatever does not mean you are making a profit.

It also does not mean that you are neccesarilly losing your shirts. If Sony says that they are intending to return to profitability in the fiscal year ending in March '09 then that is happening right now. Their fiscal year starts on April 1 (not a joke) and ends the following March. So that means that Sony must be seeing their way to profit right now and during the coming months. If this XMAS is a big one for them then they will no doubt see the gaming division (including the PS3) return to the green by the end of this year.

As for the LCD market, Sony and Samsung (they are partnered in LCD manufacturing) last year brought on line the most advanced LCD screen factory in the world. This plant has been estimated to not only allow both companies to offer the lastest in LCD technology but to also be able to get 6 40" LCDs out of one sheet of product instead of 4. Thus reducing cost up to 35% per set for manufacturing. Seeing as this plant went online Sept 2007 it would make sense that Sony is forecasting profit in the current model year that will end in March'09.

Gee Diogen, even with your potty mouth (you do eat with that mess don't you) you keep bringing up sites that keeps saying that Sony is looking to profitability accross the board for all their product lines this year. And how is that differant then what I have been posting? You need to hook-up with a few market forcasters -- most are looking at Sony to return to profit this fiscal year and yes, even most have now started looking at the PS3 as not only breaking even this year but making a slight profit for Sony.

Your hatred of Sony is making you ill --- give it up and relax man, they are a company just like M$, Nitendo and others just trying to make a little money. You know, all you have to do is not buy one product associated with Sony -- vote with your dollars -- it makes more sense.:)

Gee Diogen, even with your potty mouth...And how is that differant then what I have been posting?
Gee, Joe, even with your stupid brain... WTF is this?
So much so that now they are making money on PS3 sales.
Posted here less than a month ago
http://www.satelliteguys.us/1401415-post51.html

Any clue about the difference between now and 9 months from now?
And I mean difference, not differance...
Differance there must of been none

Diogen.

And Sony is now partnered with Sharp for 10th gen panels taking a 34% stake (about $1 billion dollars), and Panasonic is also getting in on the LCD panel manufacturing business. Sony will go with whoever can get them the cheapest panels.

Sony Jilts Samsung For Sharp In LCD Panel Production - Forbes.com

However, Samsung still maintains that there is a "possibility" sony might be in on their 2nd 8g plant.

http://www.engadgethd.com/2007/11/22/samsung-announces-plans-to-expand-8g-lcd-plant-without-sony/

S~

P.S. Joe

You can get eight 40" panels from a gen7 sheet and Eight 46" from a Gen 8 sheet.

Last edited:
If Sony saw a bright future in gaming on the PS3, they wouldn't be offering that they expect the growth (and ultimately that long-elusive profitability) in that division to come from "non-gaming content and services", would they?

It seems sad that with the kind of horsepower that the PS3 has that it couldn't survive as a gaming console and will instead be going head-to-head with IPTV STBs and media players.

So yes.....

Sony did show a profit margin in FY08 (Company wide). It was 4.2% off the mark of 5% taking a loss in the 4th q (Jan-Mar). We'll have to wait to see how they fair with the slumping market. Sony is expecting to see flat sales in their TV and camera segments due to the appreciation of the yen against the US dollar.

S~

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)