Sony OLEDs in 2017!

gadgtfreek

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
May 29, 2006
Lower Alabama
http://www.forbes.com/sites/johnarc...7-surprising-new-details-emerge/#4e52b36ebcc0

Perfect timing for my next upgrade in Q3 od '17. Id much rather have a Sony version with an LG panel than the LG version. Sony has proven they can take other peoples panels and make a great product, plus a 65" at $2999.

I reported yesterday that rumors were pointing to Sony being on the verge of launching its first big-screen OLED TVs. Now I can confirm that the rumors were true, and that Sony will indeed be rolling out not one but two OLED TVs in 2017.

The confirmation comes from Barry Young, CEO of the Austin, Texas-based OLED Association - and the information he provided goes much further than merely confirming the launch of two Sony OLED TV models.

For starters, Young reveals that Sony will be providing OLED TVs in 55-inch and 65-inch versions, and that panel shipments will start from the second quarter of 2017 ahead of sales expected to begin in the third or fourth quarter.

Reactions: Jimbo
Sony going all in on DV too and the OLED! Man, this is going to be a fun year.

Sony upgrades its 4K line with Dolby Vision... and OLED

https://www.engadget.com/2017/01/04/sony-upgrades-its-4k-line-with-dolby-vision-and-oled/

If you can't beat 'em, use 'em, seems to be the logic of Panasonic and now Sony, which is announcing its first OLED TV. The XBR-A1E Bravia uses a trick we just heard about from LG Display, which embeds a sound system within the screen itself. That's thanks to the thinness of the OLED panel itself, which Sony claims makes for an "unmatched visual and aural experience" called Acoustic Surface. The OLED TV will be available in 55-, 65- and 77-inch models.

Only display this year with 3D is the Sony ZD9.
Even though I like 3D, I predict it'll be gone in a few years. Maybe even next year. Glasses-free 3D may bring it back when it's workable, but who knows? The public may reject that too. We'll have to wait and see. But I really don't see why so many complain about having to wear a simple pair of glasses when it's only for maybe two or three hours.

Reactions: dfergie
Obviously those are MSRP prices. I'm sure they won't last past day 1. I'm just happy to see the release this early. For some reason I had Q3 in my head for these (with a Q1 release I may actually be able to afford the price by Q3).

The pricing will hold a bit, LG has held on tight to theirs every year until Oct/Nov range, and then the deals show up.

I basically got my E6 shipped for $3400 + a $600 SDR/HDR cal, I can't see even paying $5000 for a 2017 display and then owing for a cal.

Look through the found deals thread at AVS. People are getting them for higher (~$2,700) and then using their credit card price match benefit to get $500 off what they paid by using the shady online retailers as a competitive price so the net price is just over $2,200.

Yeah, I've read that before in the deals thread. Also just read where LG is upping dealer cost and pricing on the "7" models $500, evidently supply is tight and they are going to make money. 2017's look to be floating a decent price for awhile.

I can't blame them, a lot of R&D $$$ has been spent, OLED is maturing and is popular, might as well make some cash.

When I was TV shopping last summer I narrowed it down to three choices. LG G6, Sony Z9D or Panasonic DX900. All three are extremely close in picture quality. I've been reading up on these new OLEDS as well and almost bought the Z9D but in the end I can't justify changing again. I got the DX900 for $1800 CND and it came with a free UB900. How could I turn that down. I've calibrated the picture and the quality is perfect. I keep looking for imperfections but can't find any. I have to take a pass on these new sets, they look good on paper but I can't justify it now. Will I miss out on DV? Probably but seeing as I never really wanted HDR10 to begin with it's no loss for me.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)