Soon is here for new DISH HD?

Genii?

hey look!, we're back on the topic of HD :)

Jen-ay?
Kids.jpg

I'm sorry. It just popped into my mind.

I'm really not that interested in either USA HD or Sci-Fi HD, as I don't watch the SD versions of either.

I would enjoy Smithsonian HD, though, as long as they don't show a lot of repeats from National Geographic or Equator.

I wonder if any premiums are coming in HD. E* could launch their entire Cinemax Pack in HD. Thats something Directv can't beat E* in .

On the list is just two or three in this short term addition of hd. Long term I am sure they will add but how long a wait will it be for those is the question.

Please wait while we find a representative to assist you...
You have been connected to (03) Anthony K.
(03) Anthony K: Thank you for choosing Dish Network the leader in DVR and HD. How may I assist you?
Customer: what new HD channels are you goign to put online next week?
(03) Anthony K: I will be glad to help you with the information.
(03) Anthony K: I am glad to inform that DISH Network also announced plans to launch a number of national HD channels over the next few months, such as:
ABC Family Channel HD
AMC (American Movie Classics) HD
BET HD
The Biography Channel HD
Cartoon Network HD
CMT (Country Music Channel) HD
CNN HD
Disney Channel HD
ESPN News HD
HBO2 HD
IFC (Independent Film Channel) HD
MGM HD
MoreMAX HD
MTV HD
Nickelodeon HD
Sci Fi Channel HD
Smithsonian HD
The Tennis Channel HD
The Weather Channel HD
Toon Disney HD
USA Network HD
VH-1 HD
WGN HD
April

(03) Anthony K: We are constantly adding channels on a regular basis to our line up and continue to provide the widest variety of HD programming options available anywhere.
Customer: but which ones are going to go live this next week?
(03) Anthony K: I understand your concern.
(03) Anthony K: However the above mentioned channels can be expected any time in the next two months.
Customer: great...
spacer.gif

Please wait while we find a representative to assist you...
You have been connected to (03) Anthony K.
(03) Anthony K: Thank you for choosing Dish Network the leader in DVR and HD. How may I assist you?
Customer: what new HD channels are you goign to put online next week?
(03) Anthony K: I will be glad to help you with the information.
(03) Anthony K: I am glad to inform that DISH Network also announced plans to launch a number of national HD channels over the next few months, such as:
ABC Family Channel HD
AMC (American Movie Classics) HD
BET HD
The Biography Channel HD
Cartoon Network HD
CMT (Country Music Channel) HD
CNN HD
Disney Channel HD
ESPN News HD
HBO2 HD
IFC (Independent Film Channel) HD
MGM HD
MoreMAX HD
MTV HD
Nickelodeon HD
Sci Fi Channel HD
Smithsonian HD
The Tennis Channel HD
The Weather Channel HD
Toon Disney HD
USA Network HD
VH-1 HD
WGN HD
April
(03) Anthony K: We are constantly adding channels on a regular basis to our line up and continue to provide the widest variety of HD programming options available anywhere.
Customer: but which ones are going to go live this next week?
(03) Anthony K: I understand your concern.
(03) Anthony K: However the above mentioned channels can be expected any time in the next two months.
Customer: great...
spacer.gif
Do they have the same months in India?

Do they have the same months in India?

I guess not: The Western calendar is based on the sun, in which a year is the time required for the earth to complete one orbit around the sun. This precisely measures 365 days 5 hours 48 minutes and 46 seconds.
The Indian calender is ingeniously based on both the sun and the moon; it uses a solar year but divides it into 12 lunar months. A lunar month is precisely 29 days 12 hours 44 minutes and 3 seconds long. Twelve such months constitute a lunar year of 354 days 8 hours 48 minutes and 36 seconds. To help the lunar months coincide with the solar year, the practice of inserting an intercalary (extra) month arose. So 60 solar months = 62 lunar months. Hence an extra month, called the Adhik Mas, is inserted every 30 months i.e. every 2 ½ years.
Lunar days in the Indian calendar are called tithis. They are calculated using the difference of the longitudinal angle between the position of the sun and moon. Because of this, tithis may vary in length. Consequently, the tithi may or may not have changed by the time the day has changed at sunrise. And that is why we find at certain times a tithi being omitted, and at certain times, two consecutive days sharing the same tithi.
In the Indian calendar, seasons follow the sun; months follow the moon; and days, both the sun and the moon. The era in the Indian calendar is called the Vikram Era, or the Vikram Samvat, which began in 57 BCE. To calculate the corresponding year of the Common Era, 57 years should be subtracted from the Indian year if the date falls between the beginning of the Indian year and the end of the Western year i.e. between Kartak sud 1 and 31 December. If the date falls between the beginning of the Western year and the end of the Indian year i.e. between 1 January and Aso vad 30, then only 56 years should be subtracted.

I guess not: The Western calendar is based on the sun, in which a year is the time required for the earth to complete one orbit around the sun. This precisely measures 365 days 5 hours 48 minutes and 46 seconds.
The Indian calender is ingeniously based on both the sun and the moon; it uses a solar year but divides it into 12 lunar months. A lunar month is precisely 29 days 12 hours 44 minutes and 3 seconds long. Twelve such months constitute a lunar year of 354 days 8 hours 48 minutes and 36 seconds. To help the lunar months coincide with the solar year, the practice of inserting an intercalary (extra) month arose. So 60 solar months = 62 lunar months. Hence an extra month, called the Adhik Mas, is inserted every 30 months i.e. every 2 ½ years.
Lunar days in the Indian calendar are called tithis. They are calculated using the difference of the longitudinal angle between the position of the sun and moon. Because of this, tithis may vary in length. Consequently, the tithi may or may not have changed by the time the day has changed at sunrise. And that is why we find at certain times a tithi being omitted, and at certain times, two consecutive days sharing the same tithi.
In the Indian calendar, seasons follow the sun; months follow the moon; and days, both the sun and the moon. The era in the Indian calendar is called the Vikram Era, or the Vikram Samvat, which began in 57 BCE. To calculate the corresponding year of the Common Era, 57 years should be subtracted from the Indian year if the date falls between the beginning of the Indian year and the end of the Western year i.e. between Kartak sud 1 and 31 December. If the date falls between the beginning of the Western year and the end of the Indian year i.e. between 1 January and Aso vad 30, then only 56 years should be subtracted.

Does that mean if they don't see the sun or moon the day doesn't count.

They don't use our quaint "months" - instead they use a more advanced system in which all time can be subdivided into the following three categories:
- "soon"
- never
- already

Actually, I can testify from first hand experience that India used the "soon" system long before EchoStar even existed...

Actually, I can testify from first hand experience that India used the "soon" system long before EchoStar even existed...

I thought India utilized ye olde "Please hold on while I look that up" technique, followed up with the classic, "Unfortunately sir that is not available at this time" and lets not forget about the fan favorite, "I'm sorry but we don't have that information."

I thought India utilized ye olde "Please hold on while I look that up" technique, followed up with the classic, "Unfortunately sir that is not available at this time" and lets not forget about the fan favorite, "I'm sorry but we don't have that information."

Let's not forget these timeless classics also:"I am sorry for the long wait", "I apologize for the very long wait", and "I am sorry for the very long wait, I do apologize sir".:D

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts