Soon to be new DVT customer...

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Timmernator

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Oct 14, 2004
So, as part of the ATT/Time Warner merger I will soon become a DirecTV customer, moving after over 15yrs with Dish.
I am in the Atlanta area; can anyone tell me what equipment I might receive?I'm assuming a Genie, but what is the latest model?

And will the installer will be able to use the same mounting location as my Dish Network dish? Thanks!

So, as part of the ATT/Time Warner merger I will soon become a DirecTV customer, moving after over 15yrs with Dish.
I am in the Atlanta area; can anyone tell me what equipment I might receive?I'm assuming a Genie, but what is the latest model?

And will the installer will be able to use the same mounting location as my Dish Network dish? Thanks!
You SHOULD get a Genie (HR54 or the HS17 tower). These would be the main set up with other TVS being supplied with clients, more than likely.

How many TVs are we dealing with ?
Are any 4k ?

They may be able to use the same general location, but unlikely they can use the same mast since most of the Dish masts are smaller than the one Directv now uses. Do you have a clear view to the southwest from where the dish is? That's where the Directv satellites are.

Also, the dish must be accessible for the installer from the ladder, DTV installers are not permitted to actually leave the ladder and get on the roof.

Reactions: Jimbo
how many tvs do you need?
do you want 4k?
how many recordings at a time do you foresee?
i would not recommend the latest unit (the hs17) its too limited

i would not recommend the latest unit (the hs17) its too limited

Disagree. The only limitation is that you must use clients. Beyond that...I got nothing.

For 99.9% of the people out there, it's going to be suitable and with the expanding 4K programming, it's capable of two streams at once, something you cannot do with the HR54.

Disagree. The only limitation is that you must use clients. Beyond that...I got nothing.

For 99.9% of the people out there, it's going to be suitable and with the expanding 4K programming, it's capable of two streams at once, something you cannot do with the HR54.

100 timers. for 1 or 2 people this may be fine
for a family, most likely not. each dvr adds 50 timers, give the kids thier own
7 tuner har limit. again for a family this could be an issue

if the hs17 worked with existing receiver/dvrs it may be viable
with limited 4k, its just not worth it.

anything over 2 tvs total and it is hamstrung

Thanks for the replies - sorry for the delay, been out of town.

2 TV setup for now, no 4k but possibly adding a 3rd w/4k upstairs in the near future. Was figuring 2 wired connections and a wireless for upstairs. My setup now is 2 Hoppers, one in family room & one in living room (same floor, opposite sides of the house).

My HS and college-age kids watch mostly Netflix, so timers shouldn't be a problem for me & my wife.

The Dish has an unobstructed view southeast and is tucked in nicely in front of the chimney, can't even see it from the ground - that's why I was wondering if they could use the same install. Neighbor got DTV set up and they put the dish on the front corner of the garage roof, it couldn't be more obtrusive...

Thanks for the replies - sorry for the delay, been out of town.

2 TV setup for now, no 4k but possibly adding a 3rd w/4k upstairs in the near future. Was figuring 2 wired connections and a wireless for upstairs. My setup now is 2 Hoppers, one in family room & one in living room (same floor, opposite sides of the house).

My HS and college-age kids watch mostly Netflix, so timers shouldn't be a problem for me & my wife.

The Dish has an unobstructed view southeast and is tucked in nicely in front of the chimney, can't even see it from the ground - that's why I was wondering if they could use the same install. Neighbor got DTV set up and they put the dish on the front corner of the garage roof, it couldn't be more obtrusive...

4k cannot be wireless.
what you get now is what you will have for a while, unless you pay out of pocket for it
i would get an hr54 and hr24 for 2 tvs
the 24 will not be free.
you can run a wire to the future 4k later and get a mini, the hr54 will supply the 4k feed
but honestly with only 3 4k channels, i would put an hr24 or h25 on the other tvs

minis are basically paperweights

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)