sound dropping for a second?

There may be multiple problems causing audio drop outs then, because for a year and a half we have been using component cable with no issues whatsoever. Well, a couple of weeks ago, I hooked up an HDMI cable instead, and right off the bat there were audio drop outs, lasting about a couple of seconds each. It seemed to happen about every 5 minutes or so. After 1 day I switched back to component, and it hasn't happened again since.

There may be multiple problems causing audio drop outs then, because for a year and a half we have been using component cable with no issues whatsoever. Well, a couple of weeks ago, I hooked up an HDMI cable instead, and right off the bat there were audio drop outs, lasting about a couple of seconds each. It seemed to happen about every 5 minutes or so. After 1 day I switched back to component, and it hasn't happened again since.

I've been using HDMI for months. I only noticed the dropouts in the last 2 weeks and (for me) only on 2 shows that were on ABC. Other shows recorded in the same time period (other channels) had no dropouts. I had no video breakup. Purely audio.. almost like the level was too high and it was saturating.

This may need to go to another thread, or a new one entirely, but I get nothing but static on my TV2 audio. It started yesterday and after troubleshooting with E* tech support tonight, the only thing they can do is send out another 722. The main set has no issues at all.
Audio is crystal clear when playing a dvd on TV2 and the coax from the wall is going straight into the back of the set; no chance of HDMI or optical audio issues.

Any ideas? I hate to lose everything recorded over the last few months...

I'm experiencing the same on FOX and potentially other Sacramento locals on my 622. I would have guessed it is a problem with a recent Dish software update, and based on that email it looks like I'm right. I've done some resets which have helped (resets take forever though). Anxious for a permanent solution!

You can add me to the list too. I've been experiencing audio dropout for as long as I've had HD - approximately 3 years. I've used HDMI cable and Optical cable - does not matter. Had AV receiver replaced and numerous DISH receivers replaced for problems and I'm still having the same audio problems. On all HD
It sucks but I've been living with it for quite a while!

This is not something that can be lived with. Here is an example of what Family Guy was like from Sunday night:

"The bird [drop] bird, [drop] bird is the word. The [drop] bird bird, the bird [drop] the [drop]. Well don't [drop] know [drop] bird is [drop] word? Well every[drop] the [drop] is [drop] word!"

Real funny.

No, I could not live with that either. Mine's not nearly that bad. My audio drops out a couple times an hour and not on every movie. Sometimes I can go hours without a dropout and sometimes it is more often. But nothing like yours!

Audio Drop Outs

I"ve had this audio dropout issue for a few weeks now and I addressed it with technical on Sunday. They're aware of it, and as the previous threads have mentioned and they told us are working on a fix. As to the timeline, we don"t know.

It only happens on ABC HD and only on pre-recorded, or buffered progams. When we go back to 'live' TV, the audio is fine.

Anyways, thought I was going crazy and I'm pleased it's not just us experiencing these problems.

I used to have this problem with my 622. It eventually became worse until the sound dropped out entirely. The problem ended up being a bad connection with the HDMI socket INSIDE the box. I read several articles saying the connector on the 622 was very fragile. I upgraded to a 722 and haven't seen the problem since.

I think there are two types of audio dropouts.
1) Playback problem - Audio comes back if you jump back and play again
2) Recording problem - Audio never comes back. Problem on broadcaster's side

We are having the same audio issues at our house and at is getting very annoying! Last night my wife was trying to watch project runway on Bravo. About half way through the program the audio turned into some kind of computerized sound track. It sounded like they were talking through a synthesizer! We had to turn the show off because we could not stand to listen to it!!!

We are also experiencing the audio dropouts as well. The audio is going straight from the 722 to the TV so it is not a surround sound problem.

I've also been a victim of audio drop-outs and the image freezing for 1 or 2 seconds. This happens on HD Channels(not locals). A tech has been investigating. He replaced all connectors, but it's still happening. The receiver is a ViP612. The problem is occuring with Component cables and HDMI.

Problem fixed: The tech replaced the LNB for 129W and all is working fine now.

Last edited:
I've also been a victim of audio drop-outs and the image freezing for 1 or 2 seconds. This happens on HD Channels(not locals). A tech has been investigating. He replaced all connectors, but it's still happening. The receiver is a ViP612. The problem is occuring with Component cables and HDMI.

Some folks may have actual HW issues, but I suspect there is also a wider issue that is totally software or broadcast based... things worked just fine for me until recently.

Just started having the audio drops a few weeks ago on my dvr playback on local ABC and FOX. These are the only stations that broadcast their digital signal on the vhf band. Coincidence or the underlying problem?

Only on 622 it seems

I have 2 622 and 2 721. I recorded the same show on both 622's and 1 721. There were no audio drop outs on the 721.

For me only on ABC SF and FOX SF as others have described. I'm using optical audio.

I"ve had this audio dropout issue for a few weeks now and I addressed it with technical on Sunday. They're aware of it, and as the previous threads have mentioned and they told us are working on a fix. As to the timeline, we don"t know.

It only happens on ABC HD and only on pre-recorded, or buffered progams. When we go back to 'live' TV, the audio is fine.

Anyways, thought I was going crazy and I'm pleased it's not just us experiencing these problems.

I called and reported it last night (after being gone for a week).. I still am only seeing this on ABC programming. I am not seeing it on NBC, Bravo, nor Sci-Fi. I'll get a test case for Fox tonite (House).

Took me forever to convince the guy on the phone that rebooting was NOT going to make the problem go away.. they are SO beholden to their debug scripts... arg. I just wanted them to report it to engineering so they can get a clue that there is a problem.

Still having problems with ABC HD and FOX HD recorded programs here in Portland, OR. I finally got sick of waiting for a fix. It's been months and months and its only gotten worse.

Solution = DirecTV is being installed next week

How much longer do we have to put up with this problem??
How imcompetent are the Dish tech supports or Dish in general??
My recording of tonight's Simpson is still having the same problem.

I am seriously consider switch to Direct TV..
Does anyone know if we can opt out of our contract with problems like this??

Just to add in my experience.

I have the 722 and have been experiencing this for ABC HD (maybe others but this is where I really notice it) on DVR playback, probably for a month or two now. I haven't changed anything and many of the other channels do not have this issue.

Thank God my contract was already up a few months ago and I can say goodbye with no problems. I look forward to watching recordings of Jeopardy, Family Guy and Simpsons again!

As for being IN a contract, wouldn't the fact that their system and service is not working correctly and they can't/haven't fixed it qualify as a "breach of contract" on their end? They are NOT providing you with what you signed up for. You should be able to bail.

I emailed dishquality and got a reply assuring me they knew about it and were working on it...

amazing that is has dragged on this long tho (approaching a month for me).

Still only ABC HD for me.. (did not hear any problems with House on Fox HD).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts