Special Nov 25th Retailer Charlie Chat Details

Sorry to ask a couple of simple questions but I'm a newbie here.

First...what's a 61.5 dish?

Second...I'm a Dish 500 customer with whatever receiver they gave me about 2 years ago. I got a HD-ready widescreen last year and I was thinking of upgrading to get the HD channels and the local dealer recommended the 6000u for $199 since I can get the locals OTA. I'm located in NE Indiana. Is this still the best deal for me (if the offer hasn't expired)? Any recommendations? Thanks!

mike123abc said:
They would be able to sustain 16.43Mbit/sec on all 3 channels simultaniously. But, it would be unlikely that all three would peak at the same time since 1920x1080 runs around 12Mbit/sec on average.

OK. 16.43Mbit/s should be just fine, especially for film-sourced HDTV.

Scott Greczkowski said:
Not yet, but could be a big reason Charlie is telling people to still put up a 61.5 Dish. :D

Can u even get the 61.5 dish in CA?
And I have heard we cant recieve the 105 sat in CA either. This is all great news for me since I already have a Dish500 now all I need is the 811 to come out and Im set :D

bmwaaron said:
Scott Greczkowski said:
Not yet, but could be a big reason Charlie is telling people to still put up a 61.5 Dish. :D

Can u even get the 61.5 dish in CA?
And I have heard we cant recieve the 105 sat in CA either. This is all great news for me since I already have a Dish500 now all I need is the 811 to come out and Im set :D

If you have line of sight to 61.5, signal strength is not a problem. I get 61.5 just fine in Oregon, although finding a spot is a challenge as the elevation is only 10.8 degrees at my location. It will be higher in CA.

You also have the option of 148, which will be at a much higher elevation and thus usually easier to get. The 148 bird has the HD PPV channel, which was removed from 61.5, so I'm planning on switching from 61.5 to 148. The 148 bird doesn't have the HD demo channel, which 61.5 does.

cmotycka said:
Sorry to ask a couple of simple questions but I'm a newbie here.

First...what's a 61.5 dish?

Second...I'm a Dish 500 customer with whatever receiver they gave me about 2 years ago. I got a HD-ready widescreen last year and I was thinking of upgrading to get the HD channels and the local dealer recommended the 6000u for $199 since I can get the locals OTA. I'm located in NE Indiana. Is this still the best deal for me (if the offer hasn't expired)? Any recommendations? Thanks!

Currently HBO-HD, Showtime-HD, the Special Events channel HD Demo and WCBS-DT are on 61.5, the HD package channels are on 110. Charlie said the 61.5HD would be moving, but who knows when they'd do that.

If it was me I'd wait for the 811 to come out next week, it will be much more future proof then the 6000u. The 6K is limited on memory (very limited program guide) and won't work with new DishPro LNB's without purchasing a legacy adapter. It's also supposed to have an updated 8VSB (over the air digital) chipset then the 6K. That might come in handy when you try to get WBBM-DT (channel 3) since that one station has caused more grief then I care to mention with folks trying to get them due to their channel 3 assignment by the FCC. You might also need to get an outside antenna for the OTA signals, you won't know for sure until you give it a shot. Good luck - RAD

I just had a thought, I would not be suprised to see new HDTV channels added about this time next year to go to both 105 and 121 once the new AMC15 satellite is launched. If I am corect then only the new HD channels added between now and late next year will go to 110. Unless E* has some additional bandwidth up their sleeve, E* will be limited as to what they can add to the 110 location. If E* simulcasts new HD channels added late next year to both 105 and 121, very few would need a DP4:4 switch and no one would need a dish to see both 105 and 121. I think their still may be a SuperDish in the future of E*HDTV, it is just being delayed a year or so. And do not tell Bob, but his crystal ball might have ben on to something here. :D

People in CA are reporting getting VOOM fine in California, and VOOM's satellite is also at 61.5 so it should be no problem. :)

That might come in handy when you try to get WBBM-DT (channel 3) since that one station has caused more grief then I care to mention with folks trying to get them due to their channel 3 assignment by the FCC.

Rad,

Can you get it with a 6000? I'm up here on the north side of Waukegan & I do get it most of the time, sometimes with a stronger signal than I get with my Toshiba 151 OTA.

Chris- I believe the ultimate goal for Dish is to plant all mainstream channels on the superdish's 4 orbital slots. I see them actually adding a fourth next year. Then move all special, foreign, and corporate leased channels to the wing slots. This can't happen until all SD is full USA coverage. This would give them a single dish for nearly all their sub base. Fact is that their aren't 50 HDTV channels now and won't be for at least another year. I only hope that this new plan to delay HDTV for SD will allow enough bandwidth for the new HD channels:
Starz HD, Cinemax HD, INHD 1 & 2, Bravo HD.

I don't need DBS locals since I get quite perfect signals locally here OTA.

That should keep us happy for the next year.

I plan to add AEP + HD Pack as soon as the 921 is installed here.

The only new HDTV channels that are available now or the near future are Starz-HD, TMC-HD, Cinamax-HD, Bravo-HD and possibly IN-HD and IN-HD2 for a total of 8 additional HDTV channels

They also need to clear room for the PPV channel & for a special events channels for NBA-HD(although that would be on IN-HD if E* carries that.

I live in California and have 148,110,119 and recieve all the HD the Dish offers today...

None of todays news affects those out west from what I can tell.

Or am I missing something?

Dish is not going to mirror HD that may end up on 105 onto 121 as well, that takes up too much bandwidth, they will use it to add local cities instead. If they dedicated locals to 105 and 121 for all future additions then they know that subscribers would only need one or the other to also receive HD of they kept HD at 110. If they do not keep HD at 110 then there may be some issues with people getting HD and locals along with 110 and 119 unless they want two SuperDishes, this is not counting those that may want 61.5/148.

:?

OK, my head hurts now. :shock:

I was due to get my 921,322 & SD in 6 days. Now I dunno if I need to wait a few weeks for this stuff to get sorted out or get my D500 out of the shed and set it up myself.

(More muffled screams)

I also have issues with my best equipment deal, but that is for the DVR forum. (921 & 322) or (811 & 522 & buy a 921 outright then sell the 811 to offset the 921).

So, in the meantime... someone clarify things about whether the SD will still be an option for HDTV with Locals or will everything come over a D500? :?:

I suppose those wanting HD that are not having their local cities going up do not have to wait anymore for a SuperDish upgrade since it wont be needed (at least anytime soon anyways). Dish does not want people to have a SuperDish unless they really have to because of the costs and the locals going up.

Maybe they are figuring out a way to save enough money not having to upgrade everyone that was a SuperDish just for HD to make up for it in getting new hardware to compress the channels on 110 and 119 or something.

Scott Greczkowski said:
People in CA are reporting getting VOOM fine in California, and VOOM's satellite is also at 61.5 so it should be no problem. :)

Why would people out west even need 61.5 when everything already comes on 148 and 110?

Guest people were speculating earlier that maybe in the future Dish will buy out the new VOOM HD Service (which operates at 61.5) If this did happen then you would need a Dish at 61.5 for those services.

However Dish has not purchased VOOM and I dont even know if they WANT to buy VOOM. :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)