Special Nov 25th Retailer Charlie Chat Details

Some of you need to take off the rose colored glasses. This is not good news for E* HD subs by any stretch of the imagination.

I recently downloaded the spreadsheet data from http://ekb.dbstalk.com/dishlist.htm and sorted it by satellite and transponder, and I can tell you there's very little transponder space left unused on 110.

Remember that one 8psk modulated HD channel takes up the space of roughly 6 compressed channels that are not on the spot beam transponders and about 25 channels that are on spot beams. And for those of you who think that the solution is to simply move the 'junk' channels to 105 or 121, remember that one person's floor is another one's ceiling. And for every channel they do move to one of those sats, all of those subs will require a SuperDish to continue to receive what they already get. Very messy.

So what this announcement really says is that "We are abandoning our plans to provide HD programming on the 105 sat with SuperDish and if you wish to receive all of our HD programming for the time being, you'll need two dishes".

More HD channels in Dec or Jan? You gotta be kidding me. They haven't even figured out how they can squeeze the HBO and Showtime HD channels in there. And it will take some very creative shuffling to do this. If this wasn't so, they would have announced a tentative date for activation of those channels on 110, but they didn't.

excuse the interruption to the High Dreaminition discussion, but who do we have to sleep with to get some news on the international channels that are/were going up on 121?

How about moving all the shop at home type channels to 105 or 121. Who would complain about losing those?

Without 61.5, you aren't getting "All the HD dish has to offer" - you can't get CBS HD East nor the Demo channel.

I was able to get a dish working on 61.5 here in southern california, but most other people I know who have tried it have not. You need an unobstructed view for a block or so to the east . I can receive it with so-so signal strength in the fall and winter, but when a tree a block away blooms, I lose most of the signal.

I find it stupid that they are placing all HD now on 110, that means no more SD channels for the forseable future.

Looks like us people whom dont want to get HD will be out of luck on new offers as they will be using up all bandwidth left for HD on 110.

I was really hoping they would add some of the suite music channels and other channels that cable are now offering in most digital tiers to give a better bang for the buck

EdV said:
Some of you need to take off the rose colored glasses. This is not good news for E* HD subs by any stretch of the imagination.

I tend to agree.

It seemst to me that this means less HD at least in the short term...

Kevin_Texas said:
Scott,

Since the 811 will be let out of the bag on Monday, will we
be contacted Monday if we are on the 811 waiting list? :D

You might. :) If dish confirms our orders and tells us they are shipping Monday you should be getting a call. :D

Well with Dish saying they are going to put all the content to 110 (I am not sure if they said that they would keep it there or just place it there for now or what) then wouldn't that mean that they would not be putting any at 61.5, 105, 121, or 148 for a while? It seems as if Dish is going to put the HD to 110, whatever they have room for, thats all they can do if that is their plan, unless they have something up their sleeves.

bytre said:
How about moving all the shop at home type channels to 105 or 121. Who would complain about losing those?

You need to ask yourself why do those channels exist? The answer is because they are very popular. If no one watched them, they wouldn't exist. Now ask yourself who watches them and how willing and excited they would be if they were forced to get a Superdish to view them.

Jerry G said:
bytre said:

You need to ask yourself why do those channels exist? The answer is because they are very popular. If no one watched them, they wouldn't exist. Now ask yourself who watches them and how willing and excited they would be if they were forced to get a Superdish to view them.
I think they exist because they pay for space...popularity has nothing to do with it

Jerry G said:
bytre said:

I dont see the diffrence, Dish would have to either ask its HD subscribers (whom pay extra for the channels) or ask the shop at home people to upgrade to a superdish, but I wouldnt expect that to happen. I think we all know that the 110 sat is a temp solution and eventually (when we all get used to 110 sat) Dish will change it all around and will require a superdish for HD

So are customers that currently use Dish 500 to get their locals are now going to have to get a SuperDish in order to continue getting their locals since the HD channels are going to move to 110?

Folks, the SuperDish is not dead. It will go forward later next year once the new bird is up. At that time all 48 states should be able to see 105 and then you will see HD migrate over from 110 to 105.

jrrdy1380 said:
So are customers that currently use Dish 500 to get their locals are now going to have to get a SuperDish in order to continue getting their locals since the HD channels are going to move to 110?

i do not believe that tehre was an announcement of anything LEAVING 110.

Ok, I have (currently) a 508, and two 301's. I have an SW64 switch and I am pretty sure that my dishes do NOT have DishPro LNBF's. I have the 119/110 dish and the 61.5 dish. With the announcements today, what additional equipment will I need to purchase to get HD when this all happens?

I am anticipating two new DishPro LNBF's (One dual and one single), not sure about the Sw64 but would like to keep it 3 Sats 4 Receiver lines for now, so possibly a DP34 switch?

I realize Ill need to run another line for the 921, but thats nothing.
Am I correct in my assumptions? If not, what would I need?

Thanks in advance!
--Rick

Matt_Stevens said:
Folks, the SuperDish is not dead. It will go forward later next year once the new bird is up. At that time all 48 states should be able to see 105 and then you will see HD migrate over from 110 to 105.

Based on what we' ve heard that would be surprising and would be seen as a flip-flop that would further incense HD subscribers. Makes sense from a bandwidth standpoint I guess.

Scott Greczkowski said:
Mike that is an interesting thought. :)

Hmm Dish buys VOOM and offers its HD services from 61.5 and 148. That would work good actually. :D

Mirrored HD on the wing sats... isn't that where we were a month ago before they started all of this craziness?

Move most of the shopping channels and almost all of the Public Interest channels to 105 and 121 and also raise the HDTV package price to that of Direct TV and the cable companies and YES they could afford to add 20 more HD channels on 110.

Do the Math,

PS, this thing never seems to remember my screen name.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)