Spectrum Analyzer

Status
Please reply by conversation.

WhyMe1

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Nov 18, 2011
NY
All the satellite installers in the area only do Dish and DTV..... nothing else. So I'm looking into filling the void and do FTA installations. I'm thinking about getting a new portable spectrum analyzer and I'm wanting to get one with constellation diagrams. Looking to be used primarily for satellite C and Ku band. I'm just looking for suggestions from members as to what would be the best bang for the buck. I've done a lot of searching and my head is spinning from all the specs of each SA I've looked at. I need a little help from the members here! I'd like to keep the price under $4000. Thanks!

Under $4000 eh? That's a lot of FTA installations.

I've got an Avcom PSA-45D that I think is great. I can also control it from the computer and take screen grabs. It doesn't do anything for constellations but I haven't missed that feature, never having had it before. The same guy I bought mine from still has an ebay listing for it: $300 and free shipping to those south of the border. For the serious FTAer, this is a great little SA and I'd say the best bang for the buck!

I did have to replace the buttons but that wasn't hard. The push buttons are set up with a resistor ladder for the SA's MPU to decode which button was pressed. The buttons are Schurter pushbutton switches, momentary close. Schurter's part number for the necessary buttons is 1301.9303 and Mousers PN is 693-1301.9303. It can accept up to two battery packs. The original didn't last much longer than a half hour when powering an LNB but since adding a second battery pack it lasts a bit more than two hours.

You will also need a male N to female F adapter to use F connectors with it.

AVCOM PSA 45D PORTABLE SPECTRUM ANALYZER L-BAND | eBay

I should add, that anybody here north of the border like I am should be prepared for the $200 shipping he'll want. But you'll have it in 48 hours. It was well worth it. I haven't used my Birdog since.

Last edited:
Not to detract from what Cracklincrotch has to say and offer... But, you can compare to some of the equipment that Applied Instruments has to offer. See their site link at the top of the page.

RADAR

Maybe you would want to start with a really good satellite finder/meter. I don't know of any installers here that have a real spectrum analyzer, some likely don't even know what that is... Some high end meters have a "scope screen", not as good as a $3000 analyzer, but very functional for use in the field. Some have options for controlling diseqc, 22KHz, etc. My 1cent opinion...
-C.

Contractually, our local satellite dealers cannot touch FTA in any way. Therefore, here an FTA installer would be protected from competition. How about just carrying an FTA receiver with the key transponders for each satellite programmed...do you really need a cumbersome analyzer for installation?

WhyMe,

Cyberham is right. For installation work, all you need is a $30-$50 Coolsat 5000 + a 9" portable flat screen TV + a nice long extension cord with multiple outlets.

Pre-program the Coolsat 5000 with each satellite and one or two of the hottest TPs on each and there's your best meter. If you are installing a motorized system, your motor control is built in, too! At least for Ku band H-H motors anyway.

OR... Less expensive than a Spectrum Analyzer, how about a Super Buddy meter from Applied Instruments? That is $700 and you can install everything with it. FTA, DN, DirecTV, WildBlue Internet, Hughes Network, etc... You cannot legally install certain items here without a certificate and training (mainly the internet satellite stuff) as it is governed by FCC regulations (since it transmits as well as receives). But, you can assist people with repairs and peak their dishes after a storm when needed.

If you are trying to make money at FTA installations (which I doubt you will make much from), I would go with the Coolsat and a portable TV.
If you are in it just for the hobby and the fun, then either the Super Buddy or a SA.

RADAR

Thanks guys but........ remember this is a highly addictive hobby! I've been addicted for years. Over the years I've spent money and I own a Birdog original , a Felec MC10 that I bought when it first came out, a Unaohm RB25 with no bells or whistles (which is acting very strange now and I'm looking for a newer SA), and some other meters. I'm looking to get better stuff to play with and maybe make some money with. Making money is not as important as the play time but would like to make some money at my hobby :D Satellite SA's are great for finding new signals fast on a sat. I'd like a SA that will tell me what the signal is, how many kb/s, vpid, sid, etc... and would love constellation diagrams

Over the years I've installed my own Starband dish and used it for years without the FCC tracking me down for interfering with signals :) I've installed a 10 foot mesh, 7.5 mesh, many smaller FTA dish's, countless DTV and Dish dish's, and aligned friends dish's that were in need. I love hardware! I was just wondering if there are any satellite SA's that I might have overlooked that have constellation diagrams in that price range. I'm looking at a Promax TV Explorer II+ but it's out of my price range.

Besides having the right tools don't forget about having business insurance because otherwise someone might just sue you for everything you own.

Good test equipment that is calibrated and up to date is expensive... You are no longer talking about hobby. Working with electronic hardware is very addictive and unless you are looking to work in the field hope you have deep pockets! If you know any engineers or technicians who work in the broadcast & radio market, you might be able to find a source for good used stuff that rarely sees the likes of Ebay etc. I've been in shops with lots of "extra" gear that just sits on the shelf collecting dust that sometimes just all of a sudden gets liquidated...(or vaporized?) You never know you might luck out!
-C.

Personally I like the Avcom RS-2500B. Its basically the guts of the Spec A in a 5x7 box and requires a laptop for the GUI.

Thanks guys but........ remember this is a highly addictive hobby! I've been addicted for years. Over the years I've spent money and I own a Birdog original , a Felec MC10 that I bought when it first came out, a Unaohm RB25 with no bells or whistles (which is acting very strange now and I'm looking for a newer SA), and some other meters. I'm looking to get better stuff to play with and maybe make some money with. Making money is not as important as the play time but would like to make some money at my hobby :D Satellite SA's are great for finding new signals fast on a sat. I'd like a SA that will tell me what the signal is, how many kb/s, vpid, sid, etc... and would love constellation diagrams

Over the years I've installed my own Starband dish and used it for years without the FCC tracking me down for interfering with signals :) I've installed a 10 foot mesh, 7.5 mesh, many smaller FTA dish's, countless DTV and Dish dish's, and aligned friends dish's that were in need. I love hardware! I was just wondering if there are any satellite SA's that I might have overlooked that have constellation diagrams in that price range. I'm looking at a Promax TV Explorer II+ but it's out of my price range.

I kinda thought that was your interest. You are doing this mostly for fun, a true hobbyist?

Check out what our sponsor "Applied Instruments" has to offer in the line of SA's and signal meters. They are great! The equipment and the people. Anything that they produce and sell I trust explicitly.

RADAR

I personally like the Satfinder SF-3000 - $325'ish new when I bought mine. That's what I use for putting dishes on the arc (and peaking them occasionally after they've been on-arc). It has a spectrum-analyzer type screen (very low resolution type, not that of a lab quality spectrum analyzer) that is good enough to see if you even have a sniff of any satellite. Once you have a sniff of satellite, you can use the DVB-S signal locking part of the meter to lock a known signal on the satellite you want and dial it in using the BER and s/n levels.

Well I stepped up and ordered an AI Turbo S2. Hope to see it in a week. Should keep me entertained for a while :)

I kinda thought that was your interest. You are doing this mostly for fun, a true hobbyist?

Check out what our sponsor "Applied Instruments" has to offer in the line of SA's and signal meters. They are great! The equipment and the people. Anything that they produce and sell I trust explicitly.

RADAR

Yes I do things for fun and to see if I can do it myself. I browsed the Applied Instruments site but I own a Unaohm RB25 and for a SA it's better than the stuff on the Applied Instruments site. The RB25 is nice but you have to press so many damn keys to get what you want it to do. Plus the thing is acting up and sometimes a key press doesn't register and I'm in a different menu than what I need :( And I'm getting old and can't remember what buttons to press to get where I need to go on the damn thing! So I'm looking to upgrade from what I have.

I've taken the advice of people on this forum and other forums and I'm going to buy what I need, not what I want. And the laptop idea isn't going to work for me, while it is portable it seems clumsy. I really don't want to work on a steep roof holding a laptop and a USB receiver and trying not to slide off the roof :D Don't know what I'm going to buy yet but it will be a step up from what I own now. Thanks for the help everyone.

Keep in mind, a dish doesn't have to go on a roof. The signal just traveled 25,000 miles. 20-30 feet closer isn't going to matter to the dish but it will to you when you slip and fall.

Keep in mind, a dish doesn't have to go on a roof. The signal just traveled 25,000 miles. 20-30 feet closer isn't going to matter to the dish but it will to you when you slip and fall.

The front of my house faces South and I have neighbor houses really close East and West, so the only place to have a dish is in my backyard. Sooooo to get above the house and the neighbors houses it has to be either on the roof or on a 25 foot pole to see the Clarke Belt. Unless I put the dish in my small front yard which would look terrible.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)

Latest posts