Spectrum Analyzers

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

jerryphx

Original poster
Dec 27, 2004
Scottsdale, AZ, USA
Well I've done enough installs without the help of an analyzer and I'm ready to pick one up. I have plenty of experience with them, though they're more of the bench type.

What's everyone using here?

Whoa- that is cool. And not crazy expensive for what you appear to get....:up I've been poking around alot and completely missed that one. Only missing 8VSB...

edited content

Last edited:
My guess is that on account of their relatively high price, your average FTAer doesn't have a spectrum monitor. However, to answer your question, at work I primariy use a Tektronix 1705A spectrum monitor which is generally considered the gold standard for spectrum monitors in the tv broadcasting industry. At a list price of $7,000, it's well out of the price range for your average FTA hobbyist, but its resolution and refresh rate far surprass any other spectrum monitor I've ever used. The 1705A is purely a spectrum monitor and doesn't provide any satellite or transponder identification, so its necessary to become familiar with the spectrum footprints of various satellites if you're going to use it for identification, but nonetheless it's an excellent instrument.

There are many on the maket, take your time and get the one that you think will be best for you, reading up on it and asking others who have used them on the field is the best way to get the right one.

I use my home built BLSA :) It works great for $100 in parts, but you are restricted to using it on your desktop pc so not very mobile.

It works for me though if I take my laptop out to my dish and Remote Connect to my desktop.

http://www.moonglow.net/tvro/blsa.html

Attachments

• pas9_h.jpg
    pas9_h.jpg
    16.1 KB · Views: 207
Last edited:
I have operated:
Tektronix 1705
Avcom PSA-37D
HP 8591A (I think that was the model number)
Aeroflex IFR 2975

I really like the Aeroflex - it was slow but had lots of cool features. Avcom has some pretty nice units out now too, but one just has to spend big $$$.

Neal

If you are looking for a "simple affordable" SA for dish installation, get an analog one such as SAtlook Mk3. It is a nice unit for dish installation but you won't be able to see the bandwidth and other cool things in the real SA.
BLSA is a nice tool to have for feed hunter but the scan rate is really slow, not really useful for dish installtion.
Keep an eye on ebay for used Avcom units such as PSA35/37...you might get one less than $500....
HP and Tektronik are probably out of hobbiest budget unless you are willing to spend tons of $ for them, and have a pretty good knowledge on how the SA works in order operate these units and ultilize all the functions.
Good luck

jerryphx said:
Well I've done enough installs without the help of an analyzer and I'm ready to pick one up. I have plenty of experience with them, though they're more of the bench type.

What's everyone using here?

I like the Tektronix 17 series of broadcast test instruments, eyeing a used 1720/1730 vectorscope/waveform combo in a couple of months (hopefully)....

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)