Spectrum being kicked out of New York State question about ISP

Yep, that's why I think his transfer rate of 4.2 MB is pretty good.

I could have a 10Gb fiber connection, but it would't make my offsite backups from work to home any faster since our upload speed is only 25 Mb.

Very few individual sources can max out these faster end user speeds. The real benefit of ~100+ Mbps connections is multitasking.

4.23 MB/Seconds is roughly 35 Mb/second. All things considered that is pretty good.

I think you are confusing Megabytes (MB) and Megabits (Mb). Data speeds are measured in Bits per second, file transfer rates are typically displayed as Byes per second.

If this is your example then Charter is 100% correct, your speeds are fine and there's no reason to waste a truck roll on a PEBKAC issue.
Sorry but it was Mb, not MB, and it's ridiculous as can't connect to my 5G network, and it keeps gong out, now don't tell me not to waste a truck roll. They keep making excuses, refusing to come out and check my lines, I lose connection to my regular 2G network, and have to change my WiFi from on to off to on on my laptop, I shouldn't have to do that.

So you did the math then? Because you would have seen a transfer rate of ~ 500 KBps since 540 Kbps = 4.32 Mbps. Considering you’ve been mislabeling MB and Mb in previous posts I am suspect.

What are your signal levels at when you go to http://192.168.100.1/ ?

What are your results from HTML5 based tests like speedtest.net?

What are your real world speeds when download something like a large ISO image from a decent source?

So you’re testing wirelessly, what are your hardwired speeds?

Have you tried multiple computers to rule out a problem with your device?

From the way you make it sound you are using a Charter provided all in one cable modem gateway, is that correct? What is the make and model? Have you tried using your own wireless router/wireless access point?

How far are you away from the router? The higher the frequency, the shorter the distance. 5 GHz will give you faster speeds, but will not penetrate as far as 2.4 GHz. What do you get when you run the cmd below?

upload_2018-8-8_15-50-48.png

Attachments

• upload_2018-8-8_15-41-19.png
    upload_2018-8-8_15-41-19.png
    12.2 KB · Views: 188
Sorry but it was Mb, not MB, and it's ridiculous as can't connect to my 5G network, and it keeps gong out, now don't tell me not to waste a truck roll. They keep making excuses, refusing to come out and check my lines, I lose connection to my regular 2G network, and have to change my WiFi from on to off to on on my laptop, I shouldn't have to do that.

It's been over two weeks, have you had a chance to do any of the above?

I'm curious as to your results.

It's been over two weeks, have you had a chance to do any of the above?

I'm curious as to your results.
After, and excuse my language, bitching them out, they finally came out this past Monday, I knew it was the lines, Squirrels had chewed through them, making my connection drop, still not getting the advertised speeds, but as long as it stays up, and consistent I'm happy. I still can't connect to my 5G network though, so need to call them to see why, I have numerous devices that it shows up on but refuses to connect, and whenever I try to reconnect on my iPad to the regular it says incorrect password, but it's not, it'll eventually connect like 30 minutes later. Not just my iPad, also my sisters iPad, and all 3 iPhones in the house, same for the laptops won't connect to 5G, get wrong password.

Glad your connection is more stable.

Can you provide a screen shot of a download or speed test of an example of getting less than advertised speeds while on Ethernet? What is the make/model of your cable modem? If you use the Spectrum provided modem as a wireless access point, have you tried a factory reset to solve the password problem? Also have you used a wifi analyzer app to verify signal strengths when farther away from the modem?

My parents have Charter Internet in Morris, NY. I guess they are lucky to have what they do, which is around 30Mbps, given how rural they are. Charter promised 100Mbps last year, but it never arrived. Charter outright lied about addresses they added to their network as part of their agreement to merge. The State is well within their rights to revoke Charter's franchise agreement for failing to meet the terms. If only New Jersey and PA would do the same to Verizon. These multi-billion dollar companies get millions in handouts from the states and completely fail to meet their commitments. Hold their feet to the fire IMHO. Corporations this big don't need handouts.

My parents have Charter Internet in Morris, NY. I guess they are lucky to have what they do, which is around 30Mbps, given how rural they are. Charter promised 100Mbps last year, but it never arrived. Charter outright lied about addresses they added to their network as part of their agreement to merge. The State is well within their rights to revoke Charter's franchise agreement for failing to meet the terms. If only New Jersey and PA would do the same to Verizon. These multi-billion dollar companies get millions in handouts from the states and completely fail to meet their commitments. Hold their feet to the fire IMHO. Corporations this big don't need handouts.

Are your parents on a L-TWC plan or SPP? You have to be on SPP to get 100 down, unless you have a grandfathered plan from TWC Maxx, which I don't think hit much of what use to be Time Warner STNY. And they cannot be on the low income Internet Assist plan. Internet Assist is 30 x 4, and is exempt from the 100 Mb upgrade. Also, what's the modem? For speeds of 100 Mb+, you really should have a 16 x 4 modem, so long as TWC has 16 channels downstream in the area, which they should as most of their areas have 24 now and some are moving to 32.

Besides some one off irregular circumstances, it doesn't matter if you're urban, suburban or rural, you will get the same speeds as the rest of the subscribers in your service area. I live in a rural town of 1.5 traffic lights and a population density of 170 people per sq mi. The town next to me has no traffic lights and a population density of 50 people per sq mi. And as long as you can get cable, you can get gigabit service in these two towns. Cell phone reception is another matter though...

Are your parents on a L-TWC plan or SPP? You have to be on SPP to get 100 down, unless you have a grandfathered plan from TWC Maxx, which I don't think hit much of what use to be Time Warner STNY. And they cannot be on the low income Internet Assist plan. Internet Assist is 30 x 4, and is exempt from the 100 Mb upgrade. Also, what's the modem? For speeds of 100 Mb+, you really should have a 16 x 4 modem, so long as TWC has 16 channels downstream in the area, which they should as most of their areas have 24 now and some are moving to 32.

Besides some one off irregular circumstances, it doesn't matter if you're urban, suburban or rural, you will get the same speeds as the rest of the subscribers in your service area. I live in a rural town of 1.5 traffic lights and a population density of 170 people per sq mi. The town next to me has no traffic lights and a population density of 50 people per sq mi. And as long as you can get cable, you can get gigabit service in these two towns. Cell phone reception is another matter though...

They have some Ubee box that also provides VOIP. It is huge and mounts on the wall of their dining room, so rather unsightly. Looks like this as far as I can recall: DVW32G Advanced Wireless Voice Gateway | Ubee Interactive

They are on a Spectrum plan, as they only subscribed after Frontier service was out for two months in 2017 due to fiber cuts. I think they are supposed to be getting 100Mb, but whenever I did I speed test last month when I visited, the best I could get was just over 30Mbps, even hardwired to the Ubee box and using Spectrum's own speed test site. I did have to reboot the Ubee box while I was there as it took over a minute for it to negotiate new Wi-Fi connections. The reboot fixed that.

Anyway, 30Mb is fine for them, but it seems odd that they can't get more, especially given they are supposed to be. None of their neighbors seemed particularly concerned and didn't know what speeds they were getting. I'd say maybe the town is over-sold after the Frontier fiasco last year, but is only like 600 people in total, so that seems unlikely.

FWIW: There is also no cell service where they live, despite the big 3 saying there is service. Almost everyone has residential microcells at home.

The modem is probably the UBee DVW32CB, which is what I used for a couple of years prior to getting gig. It was a solid modem and is 16 x 4, which is more than capable of handling 100 Mbps. Never used it as a router or WAP though, I had it bridged. Sounds like everything is good with the account since it was created post merger. If it’s constantly at around 30 Mb day or night, it may be a provisioning error. The modem may have been pushed the wrong config file. On some Ubee’s you used to be able to see the exact provisioning rate in the GUI of the modem. Bottom line is something is wrong either with the modem or the lines in the area and could be affecting the whole node. If no one ever calls about it how, Charter will never know that there’s a problem and this is how you get people saying the big bad cable company is cheating them. 100 x 10 should yield a speed test result of just under 120 x 12 if there’s no other network activity.

We only have 30/5 Mbps on Spectrum at our upstate NY cottage, but higher speeds are available there. We're grandfathered in on a "Senior Access Plan" at $15/mo. 5 Mbps works well enough for streaming the Hopper w/Sling we keep there though.

The modem is probably the UBee DVW32CB, which is what I used for a couple of years prior to getting gig. It was a solid modem and is 16 x 4, which is more than capable of handling 100 Mbps. Never used it as a router or WAP though, I had it bridged. Sounds like everything is good with the account since it was created post merger. If it’s constantly at around 30 Mb day or night, it may be a provisioning error. The modem may have been pushed the wrong config file. On some Ubee’s you used to be able to see the exact provisioning rate in the GUI of the modem. Bottom line is something is wrong either with the modem or the lines in the area and could be affecting the whole node. If no one ever calls about it how, Charter will never know that there’s a problem and this is how you get people saying the big bad cable company is cheating them. 100 x 10 should yield a speed test result of just under 120 x 12 if there’s no other network activity.

Plenty of people have complained. Spectrum has apparently just not upgraded them yet. I suspect the backhaul to Oneonta probably isn't up to the task.

Reactions: NYDutch
i will say the Spectrum cable Internet service at our NY vacation cottage has been pretty stable other than storm damage outages. And the field techs that rolled out to make the storm repairs were quite competent and timely under the circumstances. Then again they were mostly former TWC people... ;)

Charter should call their bluff and start sending termination notices to customers effective Jan 31, 2019. See how many calls the PSC gets then. ;)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 3)