split EA between 2 dishes?

glgeek

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Sep 16, 2007
Greetings,

I currently have a dish 1000.4 set up for eastern arc. I live in Minneapolis, Minnesota.
The trees are leafing out and 77 is starting to become obstructed. 72 is a little better and 61.5 is clear line of site. There is one cable coming from the dish to the DVR. Here is the dish.

dish1.jpg

Before the install of the eastern arc, I had a dish 500 mounted on the roof of my garage. It is still there but abandoned. This dish has clear line of site to 72 and 77 but not 61.5 There is also cable available to the DVR as well as to the same point where the 1000.4 cable runs to the DVR. Here is that dish.

dish2.jpg

What I would like to do is swap the 2 dishes and use the 1000.4 for 72 and 77 on the garage roof and then mount the dish 500 on the pole and use that for 61.5.

Is this possible?

Could I run one cable from each dish and then combine them somehow (switch?) and run one cable to the DVR?
Will the dish 500 see 61.5 or do I need a different dish?

Thank you for any help.

bruce

What are you getting off 77, do you even need it?

wow, good call.
just looked at the channel list.
i didn't see anything on 77 i subscribe to. i didn't realize this.

thank you,

bruce

Whatever your decision on any of the above, the 1000.4 has an input connection that will accept a single orbital, so whatever you come up with you can combine one more with whatever you point the 1000.4 at. If the extra input is replacing one of the three the 1000.4 is looking at you might want to cover that particular LNBF with tinfoil to block any chance of it accidentally being included in the checkswitch results.

77 just has the locals for a few select cities. Most people don't need 77.

Swapping the 1000.4 and 500, then hooking the 500 to the LNB IN on the 1000.4 would work fine. Otherwise, leave the 1000.4 where it is if it can get 61.5/72.7. Don't worry about 77.

it has been a year and i am back at this. the trees are leafing out.

since my original post, i have installed a hopper.

so now the question is:

if i:

swap the turbo dish and the 500.
cover the 61.5 on the turbo and use it for 72 and 77
use a single location on the 500 for 61.5

where does the solo node go?

thank you

it has been a year and i am back at this. the trees are leafing out.

since my original post, i have installed a hopper.

so now the question is:

if i:

swap the turbo dish and the 500.
cover the 61.5 on the turbo and use it for 72 and 77
use a single location on the 500 for 61.5

where does the solo node go?

thank you

If you run the 61.5 to the input of the 1000.4 the node still comes off the 1000.4

If you run the 61.5 to the input of the 1000.4 the node still comes off the 1000.4

i just took a look at the lnb and now it all makes sense.

i see the input that i will run the 500 to. skew at 0 right? only looking at 61.5

the odd thing is this is what my lnb looks like

IMG_1639.jpg

this diagram says i should not get 61.5. the 2 cables go to the solo node.

Dish-19.jpg

but hopper says i am good.

IMG_1641.jpg

and i checked channel listing and i am getting channels on 61.5 and 72

i read 2 satellites can use a single cable, but it appears 61.5 is not connected to anything.

thank you for your help !

Sat markings only apply when connected to a DP or DPP switch. A receiver or node will select the correct LNB by sending DiSEqC commands to the LNB.

Dish does have a dish for just 61.5/72 which may work better should you not be able to adjust your current dish for the two sats.

i have moved the solo node inside the garage. it was just hanging on the back of the dish.
i peaked the dish to 72 on 19.
i am getting 28 on 72 max and 50 on 61.5 max
i am not getting 77 at all, but don't need it in Minneapolis area.

will the smaller dish with 61.5 and 72 only make any improvement on signal strength? i have a 1000.2 that i could retrofit with with the 61.5 and 72 LNB. i think i read that is possible.
i am trying to reduce rain fade with higher signal strength. the reception on any other day seems to be good. low numbers though.
i have the dish support plan on my account, i could schedule a service call inexpensively. would dish swap out the dish for me?

thank you for your help
ba

I had a similar observation when I was testing out the eastern arc on the west coast (Los Angeles). on Dish 1000.2 the eastern arc got me signal numbers in the teens. When I upgraded the dish to 1000.4, the numbers shot up to 40's to 50's which is acceptable. I can also bring in 77 which works fine with some locals. however I'm not using any of the locals at the moment on 77.

In short the 1000.4 eastern arc brings in higher numbers. and If you don't need 77, I believe you can peak 72 a little higher. When I was configuring my dish, I peaked out 72.7 and 61.5 and ignored 77 totally. After I was done, 77 came in just fine being the strongest of the three.

I got myself a new Sat meter AI Turbo S2. As much as possible, I like to do my own installations.

Too me it sounds like you be best to just move the 1000. 4 to a location that will get a good SS on 61.5 and 72.7 and not worry about 77. That would seem to be the easiest fix. The location that gets 61.5 and a low signal on 72.7 can it be moved some to the W of that location and get good levels for both of them?