splitting 1 reciever to 2 tv's

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

Strange Design

Original poster
Sep 15, 2010
Georgia
I have spent the last few days searching up answer to my questions. I decided against joining a forum just to ask questions, but then I saw there are so many areas outside of Satellite TV this forum went into...so here I am.

We recently got a second TV:) Very exciting! I called dish about getting a second receiver set up, and they wanted to renew our 2 year contract (which ends in exactly 3 months). We haven't been too happy with Dish, so we are anxiously awaiting the time when we can have a choice again:)

Our set up now is with the VIP 612. We have recently canceled our HD package, b/c 99% of our TV is on non HD channels anyways. We use the main TV during the day for my son's viewing pleasure. At night the TV is used so play PS3 games.

I would like to hook up the old TV in the bedroom, so I can watch TV, while hubby plays his games.

We built the house ourselves and currently have no wiring going to the bed room. I set up the phone and internet using Cat 5. I have a bunch left over... and I read that I could use this same Cat 5 cable to go from the main TV to the back bedroom. Is this correct? Can anyone recommend some good diagrams of this process? Most of the ones I am finding are much more than I need for 1 receiver and 2 TV's.

I understand that both TV's would be controlled by the one box, so I could only watch one show on both TV's. My second question is, once my husband turns on the PS3 for gaming or streaming Netflix, would I have to watch that on the second TV, or would I be flexible to view whatever channel I wanted since he isn't really viewing TV? Does that make any sense?

I think that is all. I hope I included enough info. Thank you for taking time to read this:)

I have spent the last few days searching up answer to my questions. I decided against joining a forum just to ask questions, but then I saw there are so many areas outside of Satellite TV this forum went into...so here I am.

We recently got a second TV:) Very exciting! I called dish about getting a second receiver set up, and they wanted to renew our 2 year contract (which ends in exactly 3 months). We haven't been too happy with Dish, so we are anxiously awaiting the time when we can have a choice again:)

Our set up now is with the VIP 612. We have recently canceled our HD package, b/c 99% of our TV is on non HD channels anyways. We use the main TV during the day for my son's viewing pleasure. At night the TV is used so play PS3 games.

I would like to hook up the old TV in the bedroom, so I can watch TV, while hubby plays his games.

We built the house ourselves and currently have no wiring going to the bed room. I set up the phone and internet using Cat 5. I have a bunch left over... and I read that I could use this same Cat 5 cable to go from the main TV to the back bedroom. Is this correct? Can anyone recommend some good diagrams of this process? Most of the ones I am finding are much more than I need for 1 receiver and 2 TV's.

I understand that both TV's would be controlled by the one box, so I could only watch one show on both TV's. My second question is, once my husband turns on the PS3 for gaming or streaming Netflix, would I have to watch that on the second TV, or would I be flexible to view whatever channel I wanted since he isn't really viewing TV? Does that make any sense?

I think that is all. I hope I included enough info. Thank you for taking time to read this:)

You can use HDMI extenders that use cat5 or cat6. HDMI from the receiver to the extender/adapter, cat5/cat6 to the bedroom, then HDMI from the receiving extender/adapter to your TV (IF it has HDMI input). Go to monoprice.com and put the #6532 in the SEARCH box--$35. One other thing. I'm ignorant as to whether or not your 612s' remote is IR or UHF??? You'd need UHF to control the receiver from the bedroom. Hopefully some other member will answer that.:confused:
Yer welcome!:)

Ed

NO. You'd be watching Dish programming, not Netflix or gaming.

Last edited:
Yes, both my 612's shipped with the UHF Pro 6.3 remote with the UHF key/tab up. She's good to go. (But I would recommend buying another remote...)

To the OP: Why did you cancel HD when it's free? :confused:

N. B. Ed's parenthetical remark. Your "old" TV in the bedroom MUST have HDMI input for this to work. Plus you need to run TWO cat5 cables for the adapters Ed is recommending. they cannot be shared with either Ethernet or phone.

Last edited:
If you have a 612 receiver the remote is uhf and the 612 has coax out for tv one. IF you have the 612 diplexed bhind the receiver and it is also diplexed outside then a coax outside to your old tv will provide the picture and sound all you have to due is take the remote into the other room.

Alright great. I am not sure if there are diplexers outside or not. I'll have to check on that. I mean we would like to keep this pretty inexpensive, so whatever option is cheapest in the long run will be best.

Yes our receiver does have the 6.3 UHF. We looked at the remotes that reach between rooms. We plan to get one of those.

Dish has been such a downer for us since the get go. Originally they brought the wrong receiver to set up. We were supposed to get one that would go to two tv's, but conveniently they brought the wrong one. The installer said they could fix it once we got the second tv, but now it's been to long. We have been paying $12 a month for the HD. The free HD for life is for new customers only;) Customer service has just been a joke and very inconsistent. They all tell you something different.

I think we will be going with U-verse when this is all said and done. Though I saw a post about U-verse that I wanted to get back and read...It didn't sound to good for U=verse either!

But thanks everyone. Your assistence helps to clarify some things and gives me a little more to think about:)

Free HD for life is NOT only for new customers. You have to agree to an extension of your service with Dish (or pay a fee upon exit), or you can pay $99. Since you may be leaving in three months this probably doesn't make sense for you.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)