Sports Bar Configuration Help

Status
Please reply by conversation.

slacker13

Original poster
Jan 27, 2010
florida
Hi everyone, was hoping someone could offer some advice. I am opening a sports bar in fort lauderdale and really need some help with the tv/directv configuration.

I have 32 TV's going in. I have 7 tables that have their own TV's and I really want cusomers to be able to change their own channels. I was told about a modulator but dont like the fact that they are limited to 12 channels. Then I was told about a IR repeater which sounded less expensive and more of what I was looking for.

I want to explain to my electrician about the IR setup as he is not familiar with it.

Some questions I have are...

What kind of IR cable do we use?
Where/what does it plug into?
Any configuration setup charts around?

Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you

Slacker,

You really gotta include a room plan. There is a critical distance from the dish to the receivers and the distances from the receivers to the TV must also be known. You seem to have seven independent locations at tables for seven of the TVs. Is there any benefit to having several TVs always running on the same channel? Is there an OTA (Over the Air) system planned? How about audio? Will any sets run over the same audio system you use for music? Is there a plan for acoustics? Thirty two TVs all running at once will be real confusing. The list continues.

Florida is full of competent companies who do this. I think you are going to end up paying for a design.

You might try Solid Signal, Sonora and maybe Skywalker for some insights into what is available. Anyone doing this really has to see the room and a plan.
You will end up going through the Directv Commercial department and they may be able to give some guidance or suggest contractors.

Joe

Last edited:
YOU REALLY NEED TO CALL DIRECTV. You are a Commercial Account and will pay much higher rates based on occupancy with severe fines if caught DISPLAYING DIRECTV PROGRAMMING.The commercial accounts can be very helpful in distributing correctly your programming.

I don't think the OP is trying to get away with anything.

It would be kinda tough to explain having a residential account with 32 DIRECTV receivers.

Modulated systems

It also depends on how many Directv receivers you're going to have.
If you want the ability for any one of the 32 TVs to display all of the
Directv receivers in your system then a modulated system would be the way to go.
You can have as many modulated channels as you want. You're not limited to 12.
You don't need to run an infrared repeater system. All of the receivers would be in one location. You simply put each receiver on a different game. Each receiver is then assigned a modulated channel. Then at the Tv the customer decides on which game he wants to watch. The only negative with this system is that it is not
high definition. In that case I would connect several of the HD receivers to your main viewing TVs with an HDMI cable for high definition.

RE

I appreciate the responses. Just to clarify I am definitely not trying to get around having a commercial account with Directv. I have already spoken to them and their local installer.

The problem is that I have too many people offering suggestions locally and I am getting a little confused.

The modulated system seems to be the best way but I am not liking the non HD part of that. HD adds so much more to the viewing and since I own all HD tv's I really want to take advantage of the technology.

I could hide boxes behind many of the larger TV's. That way we would get HD but my waitresses would just have to change the channel for our customers. My concern there is can I hide a box behind a 32 inch TV on a tilt mount? Maybe I need to add 3/4 inch or 1 inch playwood backing for additional room? Not sure until i get the mounts in (being delivered) and can test one.

The other scenario is that I have 2 guys that came in and suggested I run everything on Cat5. That way I can have all channels on every TV with all boxes in the office and yet we can still change the channel from the TV. This sounded great to me but I am yet to get a full explanation of how this system works. They mostyly instal this on yachts.

I need to make a decision by Monday as I need all low voltage wire ran so I can get the inspection this week.

Thanks for all the help. I owe you all a drink! :)

Cat5 Video Distribution

I just found this on the internet and have a feeling this is what the yacht guys were referring to. Product: CNXRMCLV [Crestron Electronics, Inc.]

It's a Creston Cat5 video distribution unit that after reading about it seems to be a very good way to go. If I am reading this correctly it distributes both audio and video, allows HD, and you can change/view all of Directv's channels from the TV.

I am looking further into this and am meeting the guy who suggested it in a few hours on location. Hopefully I will have a full understanding after that. I will let you know what I learn.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts