Sports Programming Costs?

jborchel

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Sep 27, 2006
I am being billed for a Sports Package($13.99) and Regional Sports($8.49). This seems high. I only watch CSN Bay Area and CSN California on the regional. Isn't that included in the Sports Package?

I am being billed for a Sports Package($13.99) and Regional Sports($8.49). This seems high. I only watch CSN Bay Area and CSN California on the regional. Isn't that included in the Sports Package?
The RSN gives you sports channel from all over the country....I subscribe to that also to follow Chicago sports scene, and I have to pay for Phoenix regional sports network on top of that.
If you dont watch the RSN drop it and save $14 bucks

RSN fee is separate.

Sports pack is for out of market RSNs (MSG , NBC Washington, etc .. anything outside of your local market)

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Reactions: AZ.
RSN fee is separate.

Sports pack is for out of market RSNs (MSG , NBC Washington, etc .. anything outside of your local market)

To be more specific, the sports pack gets you out of market rsns, but not for professional sports. You need Extra Innings, Center Court, etc to get those.

I talked to DTV rep. She said my Regional Sports Fee was a surcharge for having 4 or more pro sports teams in my region. I could not get out of it.

The only possible way to get out of the RSN fee... and I'm not sure if DirecTV does this .. is to have a channel package without the RSN

I know fios has custom tv packages and you can choose a package without your local RSN .

DirecTV might have a very basic package with out an RSN ... possible for customers with international packages ?

There are a lot of confusing posts in this thread...

Disclaimer - I am assuming you live in northern California based on what you watch for RSNs.

The Sports Pack is all of the RSNs (Regional sports networks) that are NOT local. You do not get pro content, except for live preseason MLB. You also get re-airs of Fox Sports NHL. It also includes some other channels that are national, like Eleven Sports. It also includes ESPN College Extra, ch 788 and up. It is $13.99/month but I don't think anyone actually pays that for it if you call. They are pretty generous with it.

The regional sports fee is for your local sports that are in your base package. For you, it is NBC Sports Bay Area and NBC Sports CA. (They haven't been CSN for awhile.) The fee has nothing to do with how many channels or teams there are in reality but how much it costs to carry the teams and channels that are on Directv in your area. The fee is different for different areas, that is why is not wrapped into the price of the package. The Giants, A's, Warriors, Kings, Sharks, and Earthquakes are the teams you get, but you probably knew that. They also consider the 49ers and Raiders content on the RSNs as something, even though no NFL regular season games are on any RSN and only a few preseason games are on them. The RSN fee in Oregon, for example, SHOULD be lower because Directv does not carry NBC Sports NW so they only have 1 of their 2 RSNs.

You can get out of the RSN fee by dropping to some ridiculous tiny package, but why would you want to? And you said you watch your RSNs so, it seems the $8.49 is worth it. If you don't watch the other RSNs, any of the college sports from the Fox Sports RSNs, any of the ESPN College channels, the few national sports channels, or the NHL re-airs then you can drop the Sports Pack and keep just ch 696 and 698 in your package for RSNs.

The only possible way to get out of the RSN fee... and I'm not sure if DirecTV does this .. is to have a channel package without the RSN

I know fios has custom tv packages and you can choose a package without your local RSN .

DirecTV might have a very basic package with out an RSN ... possible for customers with international packages ?

You would need select, entertainment or subscribe to Dish

Thanks for all the comments guys. It looks like the rep was shooting knowledge bullets when she said the rsn fee was different depending on location. I will be staying with what I have.

Preferred Xtra doesn’t have the RSN fee

Channel lineup similar to Ultimate/Xtra

It is $122 per month

You have to call or chat to get it not advertised.

Sent from my iPad using SatelliteGuys

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts