Sprint HTC Evo 3D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Have you seen the 3D autostereoscopic display? I have and it works pretty good for single viewer.

Who said Moore's Law had topped out. Saturday I bought the Thunderbolt and next Saturday you get the second generation of it in 3D! :)

Last edited:
If the screen was bigger id be all over this. Plus mine is already running faster then 1.2ghz

Sent from my NookColor using SatelliteGuys app

3D Phones would be cool if it could "Project" a User Interface that you could control via air gestures using two front facing cameras. One day, I will be able to do the stuff we saw in "Minority Report"

No, I haven't seen a 3D autostereoscopic display yet, but from what I've read it sounds pretty nice. And oh how I wish I could have this phone Saturday :) I’ll say first week of June is when it gets released and I’ll have to wait until June 16th to upgrade since that’s when my one year with the Evo will be up. I have to say, HTC is putting out some pretty nice phones, the Droid incredible, Thunderbolt, Evo and soon the Evo 3D all very capable handsets spec-wise. HTC is pumping out some awesome smartphones that will no doubt shape the future of the industry, I wish they would venture more into AMOLED displays but other then that, I love all just about all of their products . Now if only they could put out a 10” Honeycomb tablet on Sprint, I’d be all set. As far as the screen size, I think 4.3" is perfect and that seems to be the defecto standard now for the highend Android phones and how big is too big. You could probably squeeze an extra tenth of an inch or two out of it, but then at that point just get a Galaxy Tab on AT&T and put a voice activated SIM in it and you'll have the worlds largest smartphone :)

3D Phones would be cool if it could "Project" a User Interface that you could control via air gestures using two front facing cameras. One day, I will be able to do the stuff we saw in "Minority Report"

I just wanted to use really good voice commands. Today I can with the Thunderbolt. It just works. Really fun using google search by speaking into it to generate the key phrase search question. But if you really want the hand gestures in free air you should check out XBOX360's Kinect. That's about as close as it gets to date.

Steve- You can't imagine the fun of having LTE at cable modem speeds on a smartphone tethered to an ipad. This year I have had 2 technological game changers in my life. 3D Home theater upgrade and now LTE on a tether capable smartphone. If you recall the days of GPRS as the top end, going to 3G just meant the wait was a little shorter. With LTE there is no wait! That just brings a smile on my face.

I wonder how long it will be before we're able to use "Kinect" gestures to control our phones. the Stereoscopic 3D is already in place to give us the illusion of holographic projections, with kinect gestures you could push icons around in the "projection".

Why can't my computer do this? I want the future NOW.

Yes, I too wish everything was like in the CSIs where everything is a floating screenless touch screen :) I gotta say I got pretty jealous during Ironman 2 see all that cool stuff. When I use the Xbox Kinect I feel so futuristic.

While I’m at about half the speed as LTE, 12Mb Wimax is nothing to sneeze at. Everything data related is more smoother and snappier. It’s great watching live streaming video on Wimax, but the couple time I really would have like to have tried it out for something useful I couldn’t. I would have loved to stream NFL Network and NFL Redzone over Wimax, but the app wouldn’t let me.

As for voice commands, I used someone else’s GPS last week Friday and I forgot what a pain it is to actually type in the address. I’m so used to saying ‘Navigate To…..’

You mean like this below?

OK, this is not really a hologram from an iphone app but it is an illusion created by a company that builds the device for advertising. It gathered large crowds at CES. It creates the look of a real 3D holographic projection. The 3D image can be viewed from 360° and the image while shown as a 2D piece in 3D space can also be used to show a 3D object in 3D space.

Attachments

• ipad5.jpg
    ipad5.jpg
    15 KB · Views: 178
I have to say the Evo 3D is one amazing phone! Everything about it is slick. The new Sense 3.0 rocks. The lock screen weather animation, the carousel for the home screens, the new widgets. The battery life is phenomenal, the phone is capped at 60 FPS, which is inline with other high end smartphones like the Droid X and Thunderboldt. The 3D images are stunning. The preloaded images are breath taking and the shots I took aren’t too bad either. I gotta say I love having that camera button. It was cool that Sprint and HTC gave us a movie in 3D, The Green Hornet, even though I thought the 3D effects were poor and the movie was mediocre at best. I’ve also noticed improved speed on Navigation, and better voice to text performance. The display is absolutely gorgeous, and I love the fact it’s true widescreen now, making it more comfortable to hold. I never used the Evo as a phone much because I couldn’t stand holding it to my ear, now I’m seriously considering canceling my Nextel phone and use the Evo 3D for both voice and data. I’m going to miss the kickstand, yes I know there’s a case you can buy that has a kickstand, but I love my Outerbox

Audio quality seems to be improved all the way around, but the ear piece/microphone and the speaker. I’m guessing it’s because of the noise canceling but as soon as I placed my first call I could tell the call quality was better. And while the speaker is quieter than the original Evo, it seems to have a more fuller sound.

Overall I’m very impressed with the phone, and can’t wait to see what next years generation of Evo will be like!

And best of all, the Evo 3D DID NOT come with the Facebook app preinstalled and unremovable! In fact a lot of the stock apps on the phone can removed like Sprint TV, Sprint Radio, Telenav and others

I'm finally(!) happy with a phone, and NOT looking for the next thing since I got this phone. 1.1G memory available for apps, ability to remove the Sprint Apps, withOUT root, 2 1.2GHZ cores, I'm in heaven.

They fixed the issues I and others have reported on their forums. They've done this by quickly getting OTA updates out.

I'm impressed, and Kudos to the Sprint and HTC Teams on this one. Great job!

What’s awesome is the HTC Evo 3D is, as of right now, the most advanced smartphone in America when you compare the specs head to head for all four major carries flagship phones, it beats them all out in some way. HTC puts out some great products and has a lot of industry firsts. What I find cool is all four major carriers first 4G phones all came from HTC. The Wimax Evo, the LTE Thunderboldt and the HSPA+ Inspire for AT&T and G2 for T-Mobile.

Since I’m a generally negative person, I’m trying to find faults with the phone. I believe they could have squeezed an extra 10th of an inch out screen making it 4.4”. A 16GB Micro SD card should come stock. I would guess this is due to the carousel but background wallpaper is no longer ‘progressive’. And a kickstand would be nice and higher screen resolution is always welcome. Maybe next year one or two of these things will happen.

What’s awesome is the HTC Evo 3D is, as of right now, the most advanced smartphone in America when you compare the specs head to head for all four major carries flagship phones, it beats them all out in some way. HTC puts out some great products and has a lot of industry firsts. What I find cool is all four major carriers first 4G phones all came from HTC. The Wimax Evo, the LTE Thunderboldt and the HSPA+ Inspire for AT&T and G2 for T-Mobile.

Since I’m a generally negative person, I’m trying to find faults with the phone. I believe they could have squeezed an extra 10th of an inch out screen making it 4.4”. A 16GB Micro SD card should come stock. I would guess this is due to the carousel but background wallpaper is no longer ‘progressive’. And a kickstand would be nice and higher screen resolution is always welcome. Maybe next year one or two of these things will happen.

How about you look at everything positively instead of negatively. Just say you love a device for once. You can't always have the latest and greatest. :)

My current custom firmware also has sense 3.0 and the carousel and other goodies the EVO 3D has except the 3D of course.. but heck I don't think I need it now hahaha.. stickin with my Original EVO

Sent from my Mototola Brickphone using SatelliteGuys

The more memory was the big factor for me. 3x more. The rest of it is icing on the cake.

Sent from my Evo 3D using SatelliteGuys on Sprint.

Last edited:
How about you look at everything positively instead of negatively. Just say you love a device for once. You can't always have the latest and greatest. :)

Never. There’s no reason ever be satisfied with what you have, if you are you'll never want better. Quick unrelated story. Ordered my HP 3D laptop last month, I maxed out at 8GB of RAM, which is cool. Last week HP updated the configuration and it comes with a new motherboard that can support 16GB of RAM. Found this out on the final day it was eligible for return. I had my laptop RMA'd within seconds and reordered it. In good conscious I could not keep that laptop when I know I could have something better, I didn’t even think twice about it, I could have never been happy using that laptop when I knew I could have one that supported twice the amount of RAM. I loved my original Evo, but as time went by and more phones started to surpass the specs and all the talk of dual core processors come about, I started to get depressed. Now I have a new toy that I will cherish for a while, but I can guarantee you, next you this time I more than likely will not have the Evo 3D.
Here’s a little insight into the way I think. Having the latest and greatest is not good enough for me. I want stuff that hasn’t even been invented yet. I could have a 100” HD 3D screen for watching TV, an OC-192 line for internet access and a smart phone with a six core 3 GHz processor and still bitch that it’s not good enough, because well quite frankly its not. I am unable to understand the concept being content with technology.

To see some excellent 3D go to YouTube and look for '3D Maestro' and 'GoPro 3D: Highlight Reel 2011'. Those two videos look amazing on the Evo.

Played with the 3d phone. Felt like a gimmick, although the glass-free video was impressive, just can't see why it is necessary, or couldn't imagine using the camera in 3d mode.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)