STAB HH90 - OK to use the mount included with my 90cm dish?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.
Yes, you need to interpolate between the markings. In your case, it would be about 3/4ths way between 39 and 40. Make a reasonable effort to be as close as you can (nobody is going to get it right on, unless they are real lucky).

Good luck with it.

Once you set between 39 and 40. Lock and leave and follow instructions here:

Just substitute your closest satellite to your true sound instead of 83.

I would go back to the dish and start over. If you dish is off and not aligned properly you can reset your receiver all you want you will still be in the same place.
Make sure your pole is absolutely plumb, and that it is a stout enough pole not to go out of plumb as your dish goes east and west, with the weight of the dish pulling on the pole.
Set your LNBF skew to "0".
Set the latitude setting on your motor to your latitude and lock it down, don't touch again.
Set the elevation on your dish per the formula in the manual that came with your motor.
Using a compass rotate your whole motor dish assembly on the pole pretty close to your true south, leaving it snug but loose enough to move.
Now hook up your receiver to your motor, set your proper lat and long in your USALS set up.
Critical step that newbies miss: Go to 83W..."Motor Moving" should come on the screen. Unless you are exactly on 83.00 where you live, it will move a little but not much, but it will still move.
Now go out to your dish and using a meter or a small tv/receiver at the dish so you can see what is going on. Select an active transponder on 83W.
Now rotate the motor/Dish ass. on the pole ever so slightly back and forth. No Signal? Change elevation on your dish a bit one way or the other and rotate again.
Repeat this until you find a signal and then peak out the signal by rotating the motor on the pole and changing the dish elevation in small increments.
DO NOT MESS WITH THE LATITUDE SETTING ON THE MOTOR(sometimes you may have to move it a hair, but for now leave it be), just peak by rotating on pole and elevation on dish.
Now tighten everything in a rotating sequence. If you tighten one bolt that holds the motor on and not all a little at a time until they are all tight, you will pull it out of level.
Now hook your receiver and and LNBF wires back up and go in the house and try a few birds, you should be tracking the arc pretty well at this point.

Thanks for the help so far, I really appreciate it! Okay, so I have everything hooked up now, but I wanted to make sure that the latitude on my motor and elevation on my dish were set correctly. I noticed on the dishpointer website that there are two different elevations listed. On the actual map it says 44.1 degrees and the other, under dish setup data, says 39 degrees. Why do they have two different elevations listed, and which one should I use?

dish.jpg

One other thing. I am unable to rotate the whole motor dish assembly on the pole manually. Does that mean I have something too tight? Here are a few pictures of the way the motor is mounted to the dish.

IMG_20151101_163859460.jpg IMG_20151101_163915059.jpg IMG_20151101_163924872.jpg

Last edited:
One other thing. I am unable to rotate the whole motor dish assembly on the pole manually. Does that mean I have something too tight? Here are a few pictures of the way the motor is mounted to the dish.

View attachment 111206 View attachment 111207 View attachment 111208
Disregard the "motor not moving". I guess I was confused on the instructions. I was able to get the motor to move via the receiver, so I guess the motor is not designed to move manually? :)

I think I understand now that the "whole dish assembly" means rotate it where the motor is mounted to the pole. Now I guess I need to buy a compass in order to determine true south since my smartphone is acting very wonky. Looks like my declination angle is 6.3 degrees so I guess my true south would be 186.3 degrees. So where the motor is mounted to the pole, is that what needs to be facing true south?

Last edited:
Set the motor Latitude or Elevation angle to the correct setting. If the motor doesn't have a Latitude scale, the motors elevation scale setting is calculated as 90 - 39.67 (your latitude) = 50.33 degrees Elevation Scale reading. The dish's elevation angle setting is calculated in the back section of the motor's installation manual. Remember that the pole must be plumb and level for the motor/dish to accurately track the arc of satellites.

When the motor rotation is set at zero, the dish face will be aimed at true south. As you are probably using USALS to install and aim the motorized dish, it isn't highly critical to know where true south is. If you are outside at about 12 noon, the sun will be approximately in the true south position. The dishpointer map that you posted above will accurately show landmarks to line up with true south of the drop pin is placed in the dish location.

Select a satellite near true south (83w), select USALS motor type and enter your install location longitude and Latitude. The dish will move about 1 degree to the East. This is the calculated position from true south for your location.

Now with the receiver and TV next to the dish, place the receiver on an active transponder for 83w. Slowly rotate the motor on the pole to about 15-20 degrees East and West of the true south landmark while watching the Signal Quality meter reading. If no Signal Quality Reading, increase or decrease the dish elevation setting in 1 degree increments and slowly sweep the sky East and West of the landmark. Repeat until the Signal Quality reading is found and optimized.

I'm not seeing the option "Go To Reference" under the various menus on the receiver. Would it be under another name, or am I just in the wrong menu perhaps?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts